• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost problem with stock shifting system!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
All,

I am posting this as I have found a problem using the Hydroboost kit for sale from Wildhorses & JBG. They are the same unit, made by www.hydroboost.com (I spoke with the MFR on Friday).

Today Chris Soliday & I installed the booster unit (very nice).

We were enjoying a beer & feeling slightly proud, when I sent to examine the shifting linkage & a problem with the vacuum assist I had before. Well, now the reverse switch will fit, but the arm that is engaged to shift into reverse cannot go into gear, as it hits the Hydroboost unit!

I fear I may have to go to a floor shift unless I can get a better idea here or through www.hydroboost.com.

I'll have photos tomorrow.

MnkyBiz

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
And....

If I do have to go with a floor shift, can I just go with a Hurst Mastershift Kit? Do I have to pay $280 for Duff's, when they are $90 from Jegs or Summit????

I don't care about the knob from Duff's, I have my Tiki God!!!!

Brewbro21

I found out about wildhorses and jeffs selling the same hydro boost last night. It's just like all the other stuff both if not all sell. Makes you wonder why some are a lot more expensive than others.

M

Miley

Man that sux!! Of all the variables we researched during the design of that unit, Auto trans was never one of them! Duh!!!

What did Paul say? Can he help at all? Shoot me some pics of the interference area if you don't mind.

Don't spend that coin on the Duff shifter!! I have a local friend that installed a sweet B&M floor shifter in his rig. I'll try to get you some pics and specifics. I do know he got it through Summit as a generic application.

I guess now that the auto steering column is useless it will go on EBAY and we'll be seeing a shiny new tilt column in there soon, eh?

Remember, this is fun!!!

James

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Don't throw away that steering column just yet----- Check again with Paul at Hydrotech --- He has a couple of different billet bracket versions available for the EB hydroboost. The milled aluminum firewall bracket can be had with a higher install heigth. What I mean is the bracket holds the hydroboost unit up higher possibly giving you the room you need for the auto shifter,-- I should know because i run this unit with the "Extreme" bracket design and I have an auto with column shifter. With this bracket, you will need to cut or modify the firewall approx 2" up from the original hole the booster rod fits through. It is a very easy mod and the booster bracket completely covers the modification. This bracket also lets you bolt to the same factory holes in the firewall.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
hydroboost hitting shifter

Primate

Got any pictures yet??
Had same problem, and a little creative engineering fixed mine.
If you are looking for a very little room to make things function here is a trick I used on another unit. We only needed a couple of millimeters to make it work so we loosened all 4 mounting bolts on the unit and twisted it up and towards the fender. There was enough "slack" in the mounting holes that this fixed the problem.
Gotta see yours for me the say.
TOFIC

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
All,

Thanks for the input.

I'll get photos today before the work party goes wild!

The problem is that I have a MANUAL column! The body of the hydro unit is what the arm impacts on. I'll get photos to help with the ideas!

Thanks all!

MnkyBiz

66horse

Bronco Guru
MnkyBiz said:
All,

I am posting this as I have found a problem using the Hydroboost kit for sale from Wildhorses & JBG. They are the same unit, made by www.hydroboost.com (I spoke with the MFR on Friday).

Today Chris Soliday & I installed the booster unit (very nice).

We were enjoying a beer & feeling slightly proud, when I sent to examine the shifting linkage & a problem with the vacuum assist I had before. Well, now the reverse switch will fit, but the arm that is engaged to shift into reverse cannot go into gear, as it hits the Hydroboost unit!

I fear I may have to go to a floor shift unless I can get a better idea here or through www.hydroboost.com.

I'll have photos tomorrow.

MnkyBiz

Hope you guys get it figured out. Hope the work party goes well and tell Soliday I said hi.

Steve

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Steve,

Chris didn't make it today. He was here on Saturday, though! He is a great guy to work with! But then again the rest of the crew that showed up were great as well!!!!

As to the hydraulic, the general concensus was that I have to invest in a three speed floor shifter & bag the column shift.

Oh well, so much for keeping the retro shifter. I may as well start sawing off my arm for the duff unit.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Mnky,

how about using one of these brackets to give you more room?

Attachments

• hyroboostmountedatangle-sm.jpg
    hyroboostmountedatangle-sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Thanks for the idea, but aside from the added power, I wanted to reduce the clutter of my engine bay, by getting rid of the duff's bracket.

Thanks again!

MnkyBiz

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Mnky,

Just reading on wildhorses web site click HERE it tells of the firewall modification you need to make so you can use stock shifter.

It says
If you plan to use the stock column mounted shifter for either the 3 on the tree or C4 transmissions you will need to step up to the 351 kit. Otherwise your shifter arm will hit part of the booster

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Gooood catch!

I'll call Paul directly at Hydroboost & talk to him. Knowing him, he may just tell me what to do without me having to reorder anything!

Thanks!

Bill

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I looks to me like the angled bracket would reduce the clutter around the engine and make it easier to change plugs and get to the valve covers etc.

my .02

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Tgure,

That was the problem. I have upgraded it to the 351 package. I worked with Paul directly from Hydraboost. he is a great guy!

Should have the new unit by Friday & installed this weekend!

MnkyBiz

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
The aluminum mounting bracket locates the intire hydraulic assist unit one inch towards the driver's fender & one inch up! That will give me tons of clearance!!!!

I am stoked! Paul kicks butt! Very cool guy with 200% customer satisfaction thought process!

MnkyBiz

Soliday

Loc.
Northern VA
Mnkybiz, another $300 in freebie parts and I will be right over to help! Serious though, thanks for all of your kind words and freebie stuff! If you do need help, just let me know - I can certainly hold your beer while you bolt this one on just like the last!

Steve! Good to hear from you - hope all is good out there in Caly.

-Soliday