• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost with angle bracket? what fits?

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
I am looking into putting hydroboost in and was wondering what used hydroboost units bolt up to the angle brackets the bronco vendors sell. the angle bracket will give me more room so I can remove my "tall" valve covers off of my 351W on the drivers side.

I have seen several pics of guys doing this on the forum. having done this, what additional mods are needed to make everything work.

Used hydroboost recommendations would also be apprecaited.

Broncos n' VWs

Astro hydroboosts will fit without too much modification (that is what I used). I put some 1 inch aluminum square tubing for the spacers between the factory hydroboost bracket and the angled bracket. I removed the pressed in studs and used some grade 8 nuts and bolts to bolt the two together. The following link will show how the hydroboost is mounted.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79172&highlight=hydroboost+astro

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pics below are what a '75 Lincoln hydroboost looks like on the angled factory bracket. If you look closely, you can see the 1.5" angle-iron spacers that I welded to it to get the right spacing on the hboost unit. The pushrod, I cut and threaded and stuck a 3/8" heim joint on to mate to the linkage.

dsc00801.jpg

dsc00802.jpg

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Hydroboost Bracket

Guys,

I built my own bracket that is a little different than most I've seen; I just couldn't get use to the angle idea, so I made a bell crank & simply moved it over toward the left front fender. As you can see, I'm not done with it yet, but the crank works great. If I could figure out how to post a photo, I'll give you a look at it.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
These guys will sell you an angle bracket that will fit your bronco and your hydroboost. Mounting it to the firewall is a piece of cake, all the holes line up. It also includes an adjustable piece that connects to the brake pedal. Easy install.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/

I think it may be a little cheaper than the vendors as well. Right at $100 if I remember right and they support the bronco community, they advertise in the back of Bronco Driver.

You will need to use some 1" square tube between the bracket and the hboost unit, but that can be found at Lowes for a couple $'s.

Here is a picture of mine.
Not shown in the second picture is a clevis that threads on the push rod of your hydroboost, its included when you buy the bracket. Also, Ive got an extra Astro unit I dont need if you want to buy it.

Attachments

• Booster-Bracket - Side.jpg
    Booster-Bracket - Side.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 166
  • New Angle Bracket.jpg
    New Angle Bracket.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
thanks for the posts guys...that first link at the top of the page really has a lot of info.

JKrieg70, sent you a PM, also, do you have a snapshot of the other side of your first pic, showing how the hydroboost hooks up in the bracket to the brake pedal...

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I took the wimp route
moved the hboost over into the clutch pedal location and put the big brake pedal in from a Lincoln. This moves the Hboost over 3 to 4 inches toward the driver fender. Have pictures if you want to see.
Lots of room to play on my mountain motor now
TOFIC

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
TOFIC said:
I took the wimp route
moved the hboost over into the clutch pedal location and put the big brake pedal in from a Lincoln. This moves the Hboost over 3 to 4 inches toward the driver fender. Have pictures if you want to see.
Lots of room to play on my mountain motor now
TOFIC

Kewl, pics would be great!

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
saxman said:
Kewl, pics would be great!
a couple of pics for you
That is a 351 there with the auto shifter, as you can see tons of room
TOFIC

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 104
  • mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 101

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Went the hard way. 1998 Mustang on a JD bracket. I needed a clutch pedal.

Attachments

• CB111_1166 (2).JPG
    CB111_1166 (2).JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 142

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I went the madgyver way..................;D and I still run the clutch pedal

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 99

Cooter_76

TOFIC said:
a couple of pics for you
TOFIC

TOFIC, what modifications did you have to do on the other side of the firewall? I like the idea of using the clutch hole.:cool:

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
TOFIC said:
a couple of pics for you
TOFIC

that is a very clean look look. go for it cooter_76!

Cooter_76

I beleive the dual piston application (refers to the number of pistons in the 1977 F250's calipers, not the master cylinder) is the one you want. It's also known as the "Camper Special."

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Cooter_76 said:
TOFIC, what modifications did you have to do on the other side of the firewall? I like the idea of using the clutch hole.:cool:
Not a great deal of mods
GEt the wide pedal from a big Ford first.
Take the bracket out that supports the brake/clutch assembly. (I had a spare so I made the mod then inserted the finished bracket.)
Cut the clutch side of the bracket off.
bolt up the Hboost so you know where to move the altered bracket too.
Bolt in bracket, mine I had to drill and tap one hole
insert pedal, connect up switch, connect up Hboost and your done.
TOFIC
PS got some pics of this somewhere drop me a note on the standard Email and I can send you some.

workhorse

Hydroboost Bracket

There are many different bracket set ups out there that have been shown and all of them work well I'm sure - I have one that differs a bit by using a bell crank mounted horizontal. I don't now how to post a picture, but if you will e-mail me, I would be happy to share it.