• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I am tired of being pulled over for SEAT BELT VIOLATIONS

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
These fresh out of the acadamy young cocky Dick Butkus buzz headed Louisiana State Troopers have pulled me over 4 times in the past 3 months for seat belt violation and one State boy in Arkansas when I was buckled up in in my 76 Ranger. They are amazed when I show them the lap belts. One still didn't beleive me and accused me altering it and still wrote me up. I had to take the bronco out to the troop station with my owners manual (which I didnt have at the time of the pull over) to show them it came with lap belts and then they deleted the ticket from my record. They expect every vehicle to have shoulder belts I guess because they cant rationalize that vehicles once had lap belts. I dread when they have a Louisiana Seat Belt ticket weekend campaign where they seek violaters because I am a sure write up until they find out I have lap belts. Anyone have this problem or experience and how did you deal with it?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
"Click it or Ticket" enforcement is going on around the country..

They got me as I just got in the rig and rolled into a traffic stop, a hundred yards later I was being pulled over.. I told the officer that I took it off to reach for my driver's license in my pocket. $92. fine or explain it to the judge. Losing a day from work to go to court will cost me more than $92.
It was 3 point shoulder belts... I wished I had lap belts on like your situation...

OP
OP
B

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
"Click it or Ticket" enforcement is going on around the country..

They got me as I just got in the rig and rolled into a traffic stop, a hundred yards later I was being pulled over.. I told the officer that I took it off to reach for my driver's license in my pocket. $92. fine or explain it to the judge. Losing a day from work to go to court will cost me more than $92.
It was 3 point shoulder belts... I wished I had lap belts on like your situation...
My problem Mad is that I have a full cab and doors so they can't tell if I have it on. They just look to see if the belt is over your shoulder and if not watch out. I might have to start rigging something up.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
always leave the belt on till they get to the window...then take it off

Bronco

Loc.
Mountain View, CA
This has happened to me a couple times. One time I was driving one of my broncos back from the paint shop, he pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt but then he noticed I didn't have a seat and was sitting on some rolled up carpet. He forgot about the seat belt then and gave me a bunch of other fix-it tickets.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just about got killed yesterday when some idiot shot through the corner gas station parking lot to bypass the light for a right turn. There is never a cop around when you need one. Probably too busy writing up someone not wearing a seat belt. The owner has complained several times and offered survelance video. He told them it happens at least 10 times a day. The cops say they do not have the resources to stake it out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've been stopped a few times on military bases because the cops thought I didn't have a belt on. The look of surprize on their faces is priceless when they realize I'm belted in. Never got a ticket for it.

OP
OP
B

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
Well I think some of these guys use it as a excuse to pull you over and then they want to look for other things like beer or other violations.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL, whoops.. That would get Old, Quick, for sure...

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
This has happened to me a couple times. One time I was driving one of my broncos back from the paint shop, he pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt but then he noticed I didn't have a seat and was sitting on some rolled up carpet. He forgot about the seat belt then and gave me a bunch of other fix-it tickets.

Back when I was in High School I was riding in a friends Firebird and we were stopped for no front license plate (it was sitting on the dash) He had the passenger seat out to be reupholstered and I was sitting on a pillow, but buckled up. The cop came up to the passenger window checked us all for seat belts and even looked into the back seat to make sure the two people back there had there seat belts on. He didn't even notice that I was sitting on a pillow and let us off with a warning for the front plate.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I got pulled over the other day cop comes to the window says "good I see your wearing your seat belt" me "yep just put it on after I finished my beer":eek: ;D

he just was bsing with me since he's friends with my wife. Now I did get a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt by a OHP my own stupid fault?:? but it was only $25.00:)

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
Well I think some of these guys use it as a excuse to pull you over and then they want to look for other things like beer or other violations.

Only recently has no seatbelt become a primary offense. It used to be a secondary offense, something that was tacked on after you got pulled over for something else.

I have received 1 ticket for no seatbelt, but I WILL NOT repeat the circumstances here. Let's just say it involved me, a guy and a bench seat. :eek:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
That is still a seconday offense in MN - thank god... Now they will pull you over for a burn out license plate light and try and nail ya for anything else they can..

hammer

Bronco Guru
Only recently has no seatbelt become a primary offense. It used to be a secondary offense, something that was tacked on after you got pulled over for something else.

I have received 1 ticket for no seatbelt, but I WILL NOT repeat the circumstances here. Let's just say it involved me, a guy and a bench seat. :eek:

I hope he paid your ticket for you:p

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru

The good old days bench seat and your girl enters on the drivers side pops over to the middle and stays there? Or am I too niave?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I still get pissed everythime they start this ramped up effort to write seat belt tickets. The government has no bussiness telling me or anyone else to wear a seatbelt. I have worn once since 1974 and I am still alive becasue of it. But just because it is a good idea doesn't mean it should be law.

What really pisses me is that many of these states that require seat belts do not even have helmet laws for motorcycles. How does that make any since.

By the time my kid is my age there will probably be laws requiring you to wear helmets inside vehicles, because you would be safer.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bench seats

The good old days bench seat and your girl enters on the drivers side pops over to the middle and stays there? Or am I too niave?

I Wyoming you can tell if a couple is married or on a date. Girl in the middle, dog on the right, guy gets out to open cattle gate = girlfriend. Dog in the middle, girl on the right, girl gets out to open cattle gate = married.;D