• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I am tired of being pulled over for SEAT BELT VIOLATIONS

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I like the fact that I can be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt while every work truck on the road can have the bed loaded down with laborers. Tell me who's going to get hurt worse in an accident: me in the driver's seat with a top & padded cage around me or the dozen landscapers that are bouncing around in the back of a pickup? The logic escapes me. In general I think the gov (fed & state) have gone too far with personal protection laws, primarily seatbelt & helmet laws. The real power behind these laws aren't the government but, rather, the insurance companies.

I wonder, how do they enforce it for old cars that didn't come with seatbelts? As I recall, seatbelts weren't mandatory equipment until the late 60's or 70's....someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I think its Bull that in some states it is now a primary offense. If stopped for speeding or some other moving violation the Officer sees you without a Seatbelt on then, OK ticket them for it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Maybe this is an incorrect assumption, but usually, if you own an Early Bronco, you have some mechanical ability (it kind of forces you to do some mechanic work from time to time). Either that, or you have a lot of money and pay other people to do the work for you.

Either way, if you are sick of getting pulled over for this, get some three-point belts or full harnesses installed. It isn't that hard to do yourself, or just go pay someone else to do it. Problem solved.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Either way, if you are sick of getting pulled over for this, get some three-point belts or full harnesses installed. It isn't that hard to do yourself, or just go pay someone else to do it. Problem solved.

Ah.... but what if you have a classic vehicle that you are trying to leave stock? My '65 Mustang's value would go down if I added seat belts that didn't exist from the factory. The cops need to be aware of seatbelt regulations for older vehicles. If they don't know them, they should not pull them over.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I just wear my seatbelt. Not because I'm afraid of a ticket, but because there are a lot of idiot drivers (no I am not one of them :p ).

Only recently has no seatbelt become a primary offense. It used to be a secondary offense, something that was tacked on after you got pulled over for something else.

I have received 1 ticket for no seatbelt, but I WILL NOT repeat the circumstances here. Let's just say it involved me, a guy and a bench seat. :eek:
Well, there's your bruises you were talkin about. :)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

What really pisses me is that many of these states that require seat belts do not even have helmet laws for motorcycles. How does that make any since.

Yeah that's the way it here have to have seat belt but not a helmet, and not school busses wth?:?

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
don't forget many of these yound rookie cops never had a car with just lap belts nor have more than likely ridden in one.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I have received 1 ticket for no seatbelt, but I WILL NOT repeat the circumstances here. Let's just say it involved me, a guy and a bench seat. :eek:

Hehe...I've heard this story. If anyone wants to know how it goes, pm me.

Naw just kidding, Babygirl, I wont tell your stories.

I agree with the whole seatbelt vs helmet arguement. I thought it was quite comical when the Congresswoman that pushed so hard to have the helmet law reversed in Florida died about a year later in a motorcycle accident due to not having a helmet on. I dont think its funny she died, I just get a laugh out of irony.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ah.... but what if you have a classic vehicle that you are trying to leave stock? My '65 Mustang's value would go down if I added seat belts that didn't exist from the factory. The cops need to be aware of seatbelt regulations for older vehicles. If they don't know them, they should not pull them over.

Fair enough. If that is the case here, then just expect to get pulled over. Eventually all of the "Dick Butkus" rookies will learn about the older vehicle laws.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
So is my Simpson 4 Point Legal

When I bought my Bronco, there were no belts (though there were plenty of holes in the floor that may have held belts at one time). I've since installed Simpson 4 points. I welded a doubler to the floor, used grade 8 hardware and extra large washers to hold it there. Attached the shoulder belts to the top hoop on the cage (also with grade 8). So if I'm driving with just the lap belt on (normal when on the street), am I legal since it only came with lap belts in the first place?

Bronco

Loc.
Mountain View, CA
When I bought my Bronco, there were no belts (though there were plenty of holes in the floor that may have held belts at one time). I've since installed Simpson 4 points. I welded a doubler to the floor, used grade 8 hardware and extra large washers to hold it there. Attached the shoulder belts to the top hoop on the cage (also with grade 8). So if I'm driving with just the lap belt on (normal when on the street), am I legal since it only came with lap belts in the first place?

I got pulled over for driving like this with my 4 point harness. The cop didn't know if the law required just the lap or if I had to wear all 4 if they were there. He gave me a warning and told me to wear all 4 but couldn't give me a ticket since he didn't know if it was wrong or not. I only got pulled over for that once and I only wore the shoulder harnesses as I drove away from that cop.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got pulled over the other day cop comes to the window says "good I see your wearing your seat belt" me "yep just put it on after I finished my beer":eek: ;D

he just was bsing with me since he's friends with my wife. Now I did get a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt by a OHP my own stupid fault?:? but it was only $25.00:)

I got pulled over for no belt visible and put it on while he was getting out of his car. I argued with him about it fer a while but that finally ended when the wife said from the passenger seat "Officer sweetie, I can tell ya yr just wasting yr time. You can never win an arguemnt with my husband when he's drunk".
;D

JMP

Loc.
Kirkland, WA
So I have an interesting question for this topic-

I have a shoulder belt I installed for HW driving but kept my lap belt for around town driving, so I have both. Now that I have a shoulder belt available, can I be ticketed for just wearing the lap belt?

Josh

Amac70

ME

I have never got n a ticket for my harness but i know that 4 or 5pt racing harnesses are not legal. Most even say it on them, for off highway use only. If you live in a state with vehicle inspections they would probably fail you for altering factory safty device.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I have never got n a ticket for my harness but i know that 4 or 5pt racing harnesses are not legal. Most even say it on them, for off highway use only. If you live in a state with vehicle inspections they would probably fail you for altering factory safty device.

Yeah, because we all know that the way that they come from the factory is most definitely the safest way to do things. %) %) %)

Oh, and BTW, they do sell harnesses that are street legal.

bradj1964

I bought my 67 bronco from a police officer and it had no lap belts in it, no back up lights, and no license plate lights, I installed some lap belts, made a bracket for back up lights for 3 speed floor shifter, and hooked up the 2 wires for the license plate light, just to be on the safe side so I dont get pulled over!!

evn73

This is how i deal with the lap belt issue.

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

Best $20 ive ever spent at a junkyard