• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I failed inspection!!! Tooo funny!

DiggetyDan

Loc.
Beverly
76 explorer said:
what the heck is this thing you call an inspection? ;D hey at least its an easy fix right?
A couple guys on here were asking what an inspection was. I’m not sure about the inspections in other states but in MA they’re pretty strict. You have seven days fro the day you buy a vehicle to have it in for an inspection, if you get caught without an inspected vehicle you get a ticket and fine and then after it’s been inspected you have to have an inspection once a year, it has two components emissions and safety, luckily our eb’s are exempt from the emissions part because they’re older. The safety inspection consists of the following that I remember but there might be more:

Lights – all the exterior lights have to work, blinkers, parking lights, etc. Your high beams get shot up onto the wall where they have this grid set up and the lows have to be in a certain part of the grid and the highs have to be in another part of the grid. If you fail this part they’ll usually just adjust them. If any of the blinkers, or reverse lights don’t work you fail.
Wheels – they jack up your car and really give a good shake to your wheel assembly, if it’s loose you fail.
Tread – If your tread is too thin, you fail
Brakes – They have you put the parking brake on and put the car in drive and press the gas, if it moves forward you fail.
Windhshield – if there is a crack in your winsdshield bigger than the size of a dime, or showing signs of cracking outward, you fail.
Your horn has to work and your windhshield wipers too or they’ll fail you.

There might be more but I think that’s it. If you fail you get a big rejection sticker on your windshield and have 60 days to fix the things that didn’t pass and get a new inspection. It can be a pain in the a$$ but it does keep the roads safe.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Same for VA.

Lights, E-Brakes, all signals, windshield, seat belts. This guy was just exercising his little power hold on me.

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
I remember those inspections when I was still in CA, and I do not miss them. In WI, they are not needed in the north but I heard in the way south they are still required. Still trying to get use t how registration works in this state. Sucks that you failed because of not having a DOT sticker.

Jen

DEANCURTIS17

Loc.
Northern Virginia
Just throw the black & white antique tags on and the cops won't mess with you, with the yellow antique tags you are still required to get the yearly inspection - f that. If you do get pulled, most likely they're just trying to check your rig out, it's happened to me twice already this month. Just my $.02. Good luck tonight.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Texas and North Carolina both have safety inspections as well. In both cases they amount to just inspections to be sure brakes etc. are working properly. One day while I was receiving a ticket for not having a current inspection sticker in North Carolina I was told by the ticketing officer that it was just a way for the state to get an extra $10 from everyone. Oregon and Washington do not have safety inspections. All 4 states do however have DEQ testing in certain areas. As far as I know the testing is similar to that done in California except that it is isolated to highly populated areas.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
SaddleUp said:
Texas and North Carolina both have safety inspections as well. In both cases they amount to just inspections to be sure brakes etc. are working properly. One day while I was receiving a ticket for not having a current inspection sticker in North Carolina I was told by the ticketing officer that it was just a way for the state to get an extra $10 from everyone. Oregon and Washington do not have safety inspections. All 4 states do however have DEQ testing in certain areas. As far as I know the testing is similar to that done in California except that it is isolated to highly populated areas.
WA does have safety inspections, but only to bring the Vehicle into the stae from another, and there idea of safety inspections is to check the Vin to make sure it is not solen.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
feitctaj said:
WA does have safety inspections, but only to bring the Vehicle into the stae from another, and there idea of safety inspections is to check the Vin to make sure it is not solen.
Not anymore. (Unless the registration is flagged for some reason) In the last two years I have brought 3 vehicles in from out of state and they didn't look at the VIN on any of them. FWIW, It is only recently that they stopped doing VIN inspections on vehicles entering the state.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
SaddleUp said:
Not anymore. (Unless the registration is flagged for some reason) In the last two years I have brought 3 vehicles in from out of state and they didn't look at the VIN on any of them. FWIW, It is only recently that they stopped doing VIN inspections on vehicles entering the state.
yep its been more than two years since I brought one in, but I don't get it why is the Station by SEATAC busy all the time, they do only State patrol inspections there?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
feitctaj said:
yep its been more than two years since I brought one in, but I don't get it why is the Station by SEATAC busy all the time, they do only State patrol inspections there?
Might be that percentage that gets flagged with registration issues. Could be rebuilder cars as well since they do need inspections if they are reported by the insurance companies. Here the inspection station is pretty quiet but in a larger city it could be different.

I'll try to dig the state code up on this since I was reading it a few days ago.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
SaddleUp said:

Now in NC if a vehicle has a manufacter build date of 35 years or older it is safety inspection exempt. Also if you hava an emissions vehicle that is 25 years or older you are not required to have the tail pipe sniffed in emmision inspection counties. Also when they inacted all this, they made counties that surround emissions counties(like mine) to require an OBDII inspection on '96 and newer. They hook up a scanner and check the OBDII flags, down load the info, and Email it to Raleigh. This now costs $25-35 depending on the shop and if you let your inspection lapse you get a reminder in the mail. If you still don't get the inspection they hold your registration. You don't pay for registration you don't get your property tax. Don't pay that and we all now how the snow ball goes.

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
BoltBuster said:
Need a Thread on how to spot the best and worse inspection station along with location of the worst not to go to.

Ive found the best to be the furthest from a state police station or in the country (less inspections on them) Usally the dirty or unorganized the garage the more likely the better you have to be nit picked on.

Check and see if your local Overnight trucking or large truck repair facilty will do city inspections, Mine did for years and were great guys.

I dont want to say which one it was but in a suburb of Denver I passed an inspecion with a muffler on only one side, no seat belts, doors, windshield wipers, or emergenecy brake what so ever. Since then these have been fixed but funny stuff.