• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I hate dealing with automotive shops

dholder

I just talked to 4 different tire and alignment shops. None can perform a front end alignment on a 1974 Bronco. The equipment will only go back to 1980 or so! Do any of you have this issue? All I want is to know my current alignment specs. I don't even want it adjusted to factory specs. They tell me the machine cannot tell anything until it knows what vehicle it is on. AARGH!!!!
Does anyone know of a national chain that has capabilities to check the alignment and give me a print out of the results?
OBTW, I'm in Jackson Ms.

gotdads68

Contributor
That's BS, I used a Hunter alignment machine almost daily for years. If you're just wondering where yours is at they could enter damn near any vehicle, perform the initial compensation and get the readout. It may all be in the red because it isn't what the vehicle they chose is supposed to be but the numbers are still there. Furthermore if you brought in specs you wanted it adjusted to they could overwrite whatever vehicle they chose and create a modified spec screen.

OP
OP
D

dholder

That's pretty much what I thought could be done. Its stupid to think that a what, 10 thousand dollar alignment machine, can't tell me caster and camber degrees from vertical or horizontal, no matter what I hang it on? Idiots!

OP
OP
D

dholder

Oh yeah that's good half cab. Finally found a Firestone that can take care of me with no problem. Gonna pick it up in a few minutes. I guess I'm finished with my hissy-fit.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're really better off going to a good old chassis shop. The sort of place that works on motor homes, and mid sized commercial trucks.

Digger556

Yeah, if they can't pull up your specs, so somewhere else. Find someone with a new Hunter machine, it will be in there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So what were the results already! Don't take time off for Friday dinner with the family... We needs ta know!;);D

Thanks

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just tell them it is a 2000 jeep Rubicon. They are close enough dimensionally that the machine will read it, then you can get your toe and alignment set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When they say stuff like that, just read it as they don't want to work on your stuff. If they don't want to work on it, they probably are not going to do a good job on it. Don't argue, just leave.

The regular alignment machine that can do an alignment on a 2005 Camry can do one on an F1 car (if you can figure how to get the car onto the rack itself). I have put in custom specs into Hunter racks countless times. Cut my teeth with an old Hunter A111 (the old string machine) and currently use the latest laser stuff.

I went to Sears a few years back for a battery on the daily driver, back with the DieHard Platinum was a rebadged Oddessey. I had my 10mm wrench in hand and told them to skip the installation fee. I was just going to install it in the parking lot. He waved the fee and gave free install. Part of that is rolling every vehicle through an alignment check. Takes maybe 30 seconds to clamp the heads onto the tires and roll it forward. The main purpose is to sell alignments. They just handed me a sheet that said the alignment was good. That was a free and quick alignment check.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
why even bother? Ive owned 5 broncos. 70, 73, 74, 78 and 96. Set the toe in the driveway with a broom handle and tape measure. Checked the caster and camber with a level and my tires wear smoothly and even. Its a bronco. I put my 74 on a rack one time to see how close I had it using my shade tree tools and was only out 1/2 degree on the camber. These trucks are pretty solid and stable. If the lift was installed correctly and the front end hasn't been mangled in a wreak they stay pretty close to the factory settings.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just had mine done last week at a shop that does our alignments. They said everything was pretty close (which amazed me as I put long arms on the front and Duff 4-link on the rear and only used strings down each side to get where it was). The toe was off but I had told them I wanted to make sure the axles were centered under the frame and in alignment. And adjust toe. Cost was $70.

It was raining before I picked it up and they had it inside. Maybe I'm weird but I felt strange leaving it with them. Thought about asking if I could drive it on the rack...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. THIS USED TO BE a monthly request.. Of HOW to check the alignment.
My OLD post goes something like this..
... Find a very flat piece of big concrete .. that you can see is very flat. Roll your Bronco forward ... With out touching the brakes. Let it roll to a stop.
.. Then about 4 inches up from the back side of your tire. Make a mark & Again make a mark on the inside of the tire on the front side. With a buddy .. Measure the back & then measure the front .. Insides. . The front need to be about a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch . CLOSER THAN THE BACK OF THE TIRES.
.... YOU CAN GET 2 Pieces of conduit pipe sliding one inside the other. Put a mark on the inter piece of conduit .. Then move to the rear mark on the tire . It'll need to read from a 1/4 too 1/2 inch wider than the front.
...... If they need adjusting ADJUST ONE OF THE SLEEVES on your tie rods ends.
..... Be sure & roll your Bronco forward with out touching the brakes.
... ..........
.... Now put a carpenter Square .. 90 DEGREE FROM EACH OF YOUR FRONT TIRES .
.. THE TOP OF THE TIRE should be about a 1/4 inch wider than the bottom ..
.... They make bushing that go over your top ball joint that changes your caster & camber . Or they make an adjustable rotate-able bushing.
... On Our vehicles there are no read out numbers . .. Just learn to adjust yours & KEEP an Eye on yours.
.... Pinching your tires too much inside Will make your tires wear ..
... These test will help with the Dreaded Death Wobble .
... If 4x4 are aligned too straight wobble can occur .
....Also the radius Arm Bushings pulled back or Pushed forward .. Makes it shoot down the road easier .. Or turn faster .. OR sharper...
... An old trick is too add a 2nd washer under or behind the Radius arm bushings .

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Be cautious at Firestone store because job #1 of all employees is to up sell work so you might start with an alignment then when it's in the air on a lift they'll show you oil leaking from your shocks and various other problems that need fixing before you leave.

Midas Muffler shop does my alignments.

OP
OP
D

dholder

So what were the results already! Don't take time off for Friday dinner with the family... We needs ta know!;);D

Thanks

Paul

I guess I can't believe my lie'n eyes. Apparently it doesn't have positive camber at all!

Camber
LF -0.2 RF 0.0
Caster
LF 2.1 RF 1.9
Toe
LF .98 RF .54 Total Toe 1.52 degrees

So, I guess the excessive toe is what was causing the tire wear.
Sometime this winter, I will be replacing front axle seals. At that time , I will try to determine which C bushings are installed. Hopefully they will be the 2 degree and I can replace with 7 degree to help out the caster.
As it stands now, after backing off the toe a bit (about 1/6 of a turn), it still drives good.

Digger556

Dang that's a lot of toe. Cut that back to 0.25° and you'll be set.

If you have 2° bushings, I would replace them with 4° bushings. 7° would be excessive, 4-5° will work great.

Do you have a slight RH pull with those numbers?

OP
OP
D

dholder

Dang that's a lot of toe. Cut that back to 0.25° and you'll be set.

If you have 2° bushings, I would replace them with 4° bushings. 7° would be excessive, 4-5° will work great.

Do you have a slight RH pull with those numbers?

Any pull that I've noticed coincided with the crown of the road. Drives straight, hands off pretty much. Return to center is lacking though.

gotdads68

Contributor
Your weak return to center is because your caster is a little low. Raise your caster and you'll gain higher speed control and return to center with a slight loss in slow speed ease of turning (parallel parking), which you probably won't notice if you have power steering.