• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I have one hose off the coolant reservoir, where does it go?

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Does it matter where the coolant reservoir hose goes? I only got one hose on it is this normal? have lots of spots in the manifold I could put it just don't know where

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Coolant res hose should go to the overflow spot on the radiator. Unless we r talkin about different hoses

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Okay just that little nipple on the top of the rad by the cap. How does that work then? Coolant from the reservoir isn't suppose to go back to the rad somehow?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The hose into the overflow should always be submerged in fluid. When the coolant circulates through the system, the tube from the radiator neck to the overflow will suck or purge from and to the overflow tank as necessary.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It does sound like you're talking about the small-ish hose from the tank to the radiator. But just in case, it's not something larger by any chance, is it?

If just the small-ish hose from the tank, then like he said, the caps are designed to allow backflow when cooling down and the pressure is going down inside the radiator.
The old ones used to just spit fluid out on the ground every time you'd go through a large enough heating and cooling cycle. Eventually draining the radiator.
Almost hard to remember now, how often we used to have to check and top off our coolant. Nowadays, you just look in the tank to see if it's still between the lines. Nice.

With the reservoir, and with it's hose below the fluid level like was said, when that pressure changes there is some fluid to suck back in. Instead of just air.

It's all good. I've retrofitted a lot of older rigs because of the benefits. It was simpler back when all we had was a drain hose. But imagine that tiny little bit of coolant multiplied by the number of times a vehicle is driven, multiplied by millions of vehicles! Glad that's not on my streets anymore.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Perfect hooked it up, thank you once again everyone! Could not do this project without you! T minus 6 weeks until my finish goal.

Spartan

Loc.
Backwoods, KS
Heck, my 77 still has the ole "spit-coolant-on-the-ground" hose lol it's on my list of things-to-do, to add an overflow tank.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ha ha ....... He said finish!!

Hah! Yeah, good catch.
Is that a non-sequitor, an anti-climax, an oxy-moron, or just mutually exclusive?
Either way, silly mortals. No idea the Pandorica's Box that's been opened.

Enjoy the warm and fuzzy feelings while they last...

Paul