• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I think I got screwed, please help me out!

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Ok... LONG story here please hang in there... I got a new Bronco today, 75 with a 302 and a C-4 auto tranny. I met up with the guy and took about 2 hours looking over the whole thing. It was VERY clean, and looked very nice. I crawled under it and everything was spotless, and tight. He claimed that he had alot of work done to it, including a very recent and expensive tranny rebuild, etc... It had an Edelbrock 4bbl carb and he hadn't gotten a kick down linkage. I drove it around for about 45 mins straight and it acted great. Shifted just fine, just had to manually downshift to get into passing gear (cause of the lack of the kickdown cable). Shut it down a few times and started it back up, worked just fine. Tested everything I could think of and it all went great. Well after about 2 hrs I decided I would go for it.

I payed him pretty much all in cash and headed off back home (about a 2 hr drive). Now we stop to eat on the way back home and when I come back out it took about 2 minutes of cranking just to get the thing started!!!! WTF ?:? Oh well, I figure maybe it was just a little flooded since it had started fine before. Drove the rest of the way home (about 60 miles) and near the end of the drive the tranny starts acting up and won't even shift into first gear from a dead stop!!

I get home and I go inside and freak out for a while... I stay inside for a bit and decide maybe I'm just not used to auto trannys or maybe it's because of the absence of the kickdown lever that I'm having problems. So I go outside and start it up (took forever to get started AGAIN) and the tranny starts out in 1st... but won't shift out of it. I can manually shift it, and it manually shifts fine, start in 1, shift to 2 and it does fine, go to Drive and it goes back into 1st gear again!! So, I drive up and down my street trying to figure out what I can do to convince the tranny to shift out of 1st when in drive... decide it's not going to happen and then all the sudden it starts acting fine. Starts in first and appears to go through all the gears as it should.

So now here I am, feeling like he just pulled some sh*t on me... I am so confused on how it could drive so well for the couple hours I was driving it around, and now it could have so many problems. I'm so mad at myself right now, but I even had a buddy with me and he said it ran really well too. Unlike most of the vehicle purchases I have made I took alot of time to check this Bronco out and it seemed very solid.
Now it's very hard to start when the engine is cold (sitting over an hour or so), it's leaking fluid from the dip-stick hole, and the tranny is acting up! I didn't abuse the thing AT ALL on the way home, actually just an interstate drive...

First, what do you guys think about the trannny? Does this sound like something relatively simple, or does this sound like the tranny is gone?
Second, how can I get or create a kickdown linkage for my carb?

I know this is all MY fault, because I did see it and drive it first before buying it, but I SERIOUSLY looked over everything I could and drove the sh*t out of it and it all checked out then... I just am so angry that I finally found a Bronco that I wanted and spent some good $ for one that is possibly crap :(

Any suggestions, advice, or even words of encouragement??? I'm so ready to just throw it on Ebay and cut my losses and be done with the Bronco world... :'( If you are still with me then thanx for hanging in this long. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :'(

mtn_bronco

Loc.
Leadville, Colorado
Oil pan is fixable... just a little hard work, and some silicone. Best way is to remove the pan and clean it really good and then re-silicone the dipstick in.<br><br>Tranny.....hmmm, I am no expert, but before I panicked I would check the fluid level. My TJ is VERY finicky with it tranny fluid level.<br><br><br>Hope that helps, and welcome.<br><br>

effief100

Loc.
Belton, Texas
i hate to hear you are having so much trouble. Lokar makes kick down cables and throttle cables for classic trucks and street rods. Sure it would work on a C4. As for as the tranny,,,,,,,,i pulled mine the other day and ithe tranny shop was only going to charge me 250.00 to rebuild it on the bench...i thought that was a good price. I am going to have some performance parts put in my C4 so i am sure it will cost me more. There are several post back talking about the dip stick and it leaking......good luck

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
[quote author=mtn_bronco link=board=5;threadid=9416;start=0#67360 date=1032747616]<br>Oil pan is fixable... just a little hard work, and some silicone. Best way is to remove the pan and clean it really good and then re-silicone the dipstick in.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I believe that when he said fluid is leaking from the dipstick tube, he was talking about ATF, not oil.

mtn_bronco

Loc.
Leadville, Colorado
"I believe that when he said fluid is leaking from the dipstick tube, he was talking about ATF, not oil."<br><br>Might be... then I would SURELY check the fluid level.

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
It's just oil leaking from the dipstick tube, fortunately. That doesn't have me too worried, just pissed that I spent freaking 30 MINUTES down there looking at the thing and it didn't do it then! Just checke the ATF fluid and it was WAAAY overfilled (checked with the engine in park idling, pretty cold) and it was over an inch over the "hatch" marks for full hot (which is over full cold). I'm going to try and drain some fluid and see if that helps things out. <br>I don't even know where a kickdown lever goes... nor what I really need for one... would any for a C-4 work or do i have to get one carb specific, or measure some sort of length or what? Thanks guys for the replies, it keeps me sane in times like these, well at least partially sane, im still pretty pissed :mad:

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Definetly lower the trans fluid lvl to normal.<br><br>As for the not starting. Pump the gas a little before turning over. Sometimes my edlebrock carb needs that to start. Sometimes it fires on half a crank sometimes it takes serveral.. I think your fine, just touchy cause its new and you think you got ripped off. Sometimes when i park on a hill it doesnt start right off the bat either. Make sure you prime it before the first crank. also when its cold, CHOKE it.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I guess it would suck to start out buying stuff for it already, but I'd get a modulator valve for the tranny & try it out, and pour some Transex in there, that's good stuff. Was the Bronco a daily driver?? Maybe it just has a few quirks from sitting?? I hope you get it going!!

74bronc

Bronco Guru
How long ago was the tranny rebuilt? If it was recent, I think I know what the problem is. As for the dipstick leaking, that shouldn't be too hard to cure. The kickdown linkage is fairly easy too. However, I drove mine around for about 3 monthes without it and I just had to manually downshift to get it to go into 2nd. you can get a new or used kickdown from most of the bronco shops (Jeff's, Bronco Parts, Wild Horses, Duffy's)(I am sure someone will have one)<br><br>What carb do you have? The linkage being easy to hook up will depend on your carb. If its stock 2BBL, it should have the lever on the carb and all you need to do is get a rod and stab it in there. If aftermarket, might be a little tougher. <br><br>Because I am curious and nosey, how much did you pay for your new rig?

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the exhaust to cool off (burned myself once already) and then lower the fluid. <br><br>It has an electric choke, and I've only ever had manual. When the engine is cold should I hold down the pedal while starting? Or just give it a couple squirts and crank it over? <br><br>Not sure if it was a daily driver, didn't really ask... it might have been sitting for a while, im not sure. <br><br>Yeah, I already know I will have to put some work and time into it, the brakes pull crazy to the left (though he said "that's weird, they have never done that before", yeah right) and the turn signals and brake lights are not working ("never done that before either", uh huh).<br><br>Thanks again guys, ill get the fuid lowered and let you know how it goes, in the meanwhile any suggestions on what else i might look at on the tranny would be appreciated, and info on the kickdown lever would be great <br><br>Never thought I would say it, but I miss my floor shift 3-speed :eek:

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
74 Bronc... He says it was about a month or two ago but I'm thinking the guy might have just been making it up... he "forgot" to bring all the receipts he claimed to have... Since it ran so well on the test drive i figured he was honest and I could just get them at a later date (which he agreed to).<br><br>It's an aftermarket 4bbl carb. He kept saying it was an Edelbrock, but it had a Carter sticker on the front... going to check that out in a few. <br><br>Well I paid $5,500... 302, C4, 3.5 sus lift, 33's with spare, new white paint, completely cleaned and undercoated (I swear you could freaking eat off of the undercarriage and engine), and lined inside. Body is excellent, no digs, dents, scratches, absolutely no rust ANYWHERE (believe me i checked). Interior needs some love but all parts are there (minus the rear seat). Everything works in the vehicle, except what's noted above. I'll have to post some pictures, if I don't decide to drive the focking thing off a cliff first ::)

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Calm down. I have been pissed like that before and it only makes the situation worse and you just feel more helpless. With a clean, rust free body, new paint, 3.5" lift, the tires, a frame clean enough to eat off of, and a few other things, I think you're still doing fine for $5500. Try all the things these guys suggest and if worse comes to worse, hunt the guy down with a baseball bat ;D Seriously though, if you can get in touch with him, let him know your concerns and if he doesn't care you can always take him to small claims court. I'm sorry this happened...usually EB owners are the most honest guys I ever come across. Also, if eefief100 is right and a tranny shop will rebuild it for near $250, you can just stop payment on the check (I know you said you used mostly cash, but maybe partially check)and use that money to rebuild the tranny ;D.

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Ok, do you have to pull the tranny pan to drain the fluid???<br><br> I've thought about stopping payment on the check (twas the last $500) but I think I'm locked into it because I signed a bill of sale saying the vehicle is "as is" and has no warranties, etc... I talked this guy down alot from his starting price and it was obvious he really wanted to get rid of it... :mad:

bst4byford

The problems you are talking about are minor for a very old car. You are just fine at 5500...I paid 7500 and have similar stuff wrong, but it's all under 1500 worth of problems<br><br>You car working well would sell for 10K in California, so think of the money in as an investment. If it wasn't broken it would be under warranty!

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Outshine2 link=board=5;threadid=9416;start=0#67399 date=1032754322]<br>Ok, do you have to pull the tranny pan to drain the fluid???<br><br> [/quote]<br><br>Pump it out of the dipstick tube (<br><br>I think edlebrock bought out carter carbs.<br><br>You got a heck of a deal.<br><br>I always pump my gas before starts and push about 1/3 gas when turning over and it usually fires right up.<br><br>I have a c4 and dont use a kickdown. It may be nice to have but im too broke to even try to put one in.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Outshine2 link=board=5;threadid=9416;start=15#67423 date=1032760274]<br>How do I pump it out the dipstick tube???<br><br>If I pull the pan to get the fluid, does it need a new gasket or anything?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Parts stores like kragen sell little bulb type pumps with a hose on each end for pumping. you squeeze the bulb and it eventually pumps the fluid.<br><br>Im pretty sure you need a new gasket if you drop the pan.... And doin that will be a figgen mess full of fluid.<br><br>lol you could try to syphon it if enclined to try it. I wouldnt, just wait and get a pump.

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
[quote author=bst4byford link=board=5;threadid=9416;start=0#67405 date=1032756573]<br><br>You car working well would sell for 10K in California, so think of the money in as an investment. If it wasn't broken it would be under warranty!<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think you got a hell of a deal for $5500. A truck like that would cost twice that in CA. Good luck with the tranny :p

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
chill.....you got a good deal, be calm and think the thing out. Sounds like the thing wasnt driven much. Now you got things sturred up by driving it. Change all the fluids and start fresh, check the modulator valve. Once you work the bugs out youll be fine. (Its called a learning curve, one of the things that sets the Bronco owner apart from the rest ;))

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
I second the "check the modulator valve" thing. Check the vacuum lines at the valve and at the manifold-- if that vacuum hose comes off, it generally won't shift, or shifts erratically.