• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Think My Alternator is BAD???? Problem solved!!!

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Another Jersey Brother with a Bronco! Sweet!

I thought that you had to take the alternator apart to replace the regulator?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok, here is the latest info! Charged the battery up a bit and it is reading about 12.43 Volts across the terminals right now. With the ignition key turned on, I get something like 12.04 Volts off of the Green wire on the RJM harness plugged into the Explorer 4G alternator.

Any ideas what the problem might be with the alternator? Is the regulator bad and not working properly?

Any and all advice considered to remedy this problem! :cool:

12.4V is pretty low for a charged battery and 12.0V with the key ON says it isn't all that charged. Have it load tested.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I thought that 12V on the green was what we were shooting for with the key on?

As for the charged battery, that was a bit misleading because the battery is currently charging with a 1 amp trickle charger which probably isn't enough to bring it up to spec! However it has always done the job for me over time and had only been charging for less than 8 hrs when I finally put the voltmeter on it. I will check the voltage in the morning once again to see where the battery is at! By then it will have been charging for close to 24hrs.

What do you mean by load tested? The battery I assume?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I thought that 12V on the green was what we were shooting for with the key on?

As for the charged battery, that was a bit misleading because the battery is currently charging with a 1 amp trickle charger which probably isn't enough to bring it up to spec! However it has always done the job for me over time and had only been charging for less than 8 hrs when I finally put the voltmeter on it. I will check the voltage in the morning once again to see where the battery is at! By then it will have been charging for close to 24hrs.

What do you mean by load tested? The battery I assume?

Yes. Load test battery.

12V or better is good at the green wire but I know that wire is powered by a relay and it shouldn't have much voltage drop getting there. I suspect that 12.0V is about all your battery is putting out with the O2 sensors and ECM ON.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Checked battery again this morning and Voltage accross terminals is up to 12.73 and 12.4 on the Green wire out of the RJM Harness. Gonna switch the alternator tonight and see where that gets me.

Looked into changing out the voltage regulator but apparently you can't just order that part. %) At least that is what the auto parts store told me.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Took battery over to my mechanic to have it load tested and he told me that it was fine and he didn't see any problems with it. Swapped out the tired alternator for a new/reman unit. Hopefully that cures the problem. ;D

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Finally got a chance to see if the new alternator corrected the charging problem and it seems like it has fortunately. Tested it by turning on the lights, radio, VA unit, High Beams and whatever else I could and thankfully the voltmeter stayed put at 14 Volts with the engine running. ;D

Thank you to all that helped lead me down the quickest path to getting this straightened out. ;D

Now its on to getting it aligned, rebalancing the tires because alot of the balance weights fell off, charging the A/C, mounting the seats lower hopefully, finish up the center console and get the top back on for now!!!!

That should hold me over for a bit! LOL!!!! ;D