• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identification of NOS parts vs Reproduction

slim811

Contributor
Recently acquired a set of grille letters, checking the backs showing C7TB-8E11. Curious if reproduction parts have the Ford part's #'s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably not, i mean they are probably real ones if they have numbers. But I did just buy a heater core with real ford part numbers, NOS from the factory. Copper to boot.

House

Minutia Militia
A lot of the Scott Drake reproductions still use Ford part numbers on them, but I am not sure about the grille letters. How were they packaged?

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
Each letter Individually packaged Plain white paper wrapping and masking tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
I have had both types and the Scott Drake letters did not have Ford part #'s on them. The major difference i noticed between the two were the NOS were heavier and thicker.

Jaxgtc

I have had both types and the Scott Drake letters did not have Ford part #'s on them. The major difference i noticed between the two were the NOS were heavier and thicker.

Agree with Tonka, the weight difference is noticeable. The other difference is the barrel fastener on the back. The OEM has a large plastic, gray, dome shaped nut on the back and the repros I have from Dennis Carpenter are a thin flat aluminum nut. They came individually packaged in plastic, with white paper wrapping and an "Original Ford Tooling" label.

When I first received mine, in a made in China bag and plastic I was disappointed. To be honest, now that they are on the truck, they look great. I kept the old ones, maybe some day they can be cleaned up and the red replaced in the center - I have seen a lot of threads on how to fix em up.

House

Minutia Militia
So I know this is an older topic, but I was thinking about it the other day when I was playing with letters, so I snapped a pic.
The reproductions do indeed have the part number cast into the back.
They do not however have the FoMoCo logo and all of the other factory markings that the originals do...
Also, as noted above, the nuts are completely different than originals...

Attachments

• IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 100

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco

This/ \ Drake stuff I've unfortunately used only has his name n lighter in weight.

House

Minutia Militia
The one above was from Dennis Carpenter, and is actually very close to original on the outside.
I will have to get a pic of it next to an NOS one for reference...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The one above was from Dennis Carpenter, and is actually very close to original on the outside.
I will have to get a pic of it next to an NOS one for reference...

Yeah waa just 2nding the Scott Drake.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just picked up a set of Drakes this morning at Driven on the way to work. I can take pics of the packaging and letters if it helps.

Todd Z.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's unfortunate that chroming has gotten so crazy. I'd rather re-chrome my "Bronco" emblems, "FORD" emblem, and my lift-gate handle, but I've been quoted from 4 different places over $450 to do the work. My original parts are beyond simply polishing so I'm going to have to get the cheaper Chinese re-po parts. Sucks.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I put NOS grill letters on my 71 Baja restoration several years ago. Each letter came in its own small box and was wrapped in white paper and I believe had a small piece of clear tape wrapped around it.I still have the boxes if u need pics...let me know.

Andy
Blue71

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same here. Individual boxes. Can't remember if wrapped though...

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's unfortunate that chroming has gotten so crazy. I'd rather re-chrome my "Bronco" emblems, "FORD" emblem, and my lift-gate handle, but I've been quoted from 4 different places over $450 to do the work. My original parts are beyond simply polishing so I'm going to have to get the cheaper Chinese re-po parts. Sucks.

If your parts are smooth enough I could powder coat them in "super chrome" it looks great and you'd still have your original parts

here's how it looks ....

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/7534/super-chrome-suspension

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Looks interesting. I'll check them out. Thanks!

They just sell the powder so if you have a gun and an oven youre all set. Otherwise, I could get you quote on fixing them up.