• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition key and lock set problem

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
My key (only key for the truck!) is really worn and bent a bit. Went to get a key made at the hardware store and they can't get any new key to work. They referred me to a locksmith.

The existing key sometimes has to wiggle around a bit to get it turned either direction to accessory or on. Should I trust the ignition set and get a locksmith to make new keys or, should I replace the key and lockset in the dash?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
You can order key blanks from the Bronco vendors or find them on Ebay. Much cheaper than paying a locksmith.

If they are the OEM/original locks and aren't worn out I would suggest staying with them. The aftermarket stuff is not near the quality.

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Before you install new aftermarket ignition and door lock sets, check and make sure the key turns in all three. The set I bought from a vendor, the key only worked in the ignition, not the door locks. They offered to send me another and said I was the second guy it happened to. Thanks a lot Malaysia!

OP
OP
C

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
You can order key blanks from the Bronco vendors or find them on Ebay. Much cheaper than paying a locksmith.

If they are the OEM/original locks and aren't worn out I would suggest staying with them. The aftermarket stuff is not near the quality.

They had the right blanks, just couldn't get any to work after cutting and buffing them all different ways. The key is worn pretty good, no clue what the inside of the ignition lockset looks like. If the new ones aren't great quality, maybe I just get a locksmith to troubleshoot and try to save the original and then make a few keys?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have bought the modern/Chinese ignition switch for my eb.
Been in there a couple years, still ok though.....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I had to put my the new tumblers in my old ign. cylinder to make it work right after the vendor sent me three different ones.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Same issue when I bought my Bronco. Only one worn-out key. I chose to remove the ignition cylinder and a door lock cylinder, and take them to a locksmith. He cut a new key based on the pins that were installed in the lock rather than trying to duplicate a worn out key. Wasn't all that expensive, from what I remember, but that was 19 years ago...:p

clarrance

Bronco Guru
A locksmith will make a new key back to the original factory cut. I've had a few done there are usually less than $20. Way cheaped and easier than switching out all your locks and ignition. Plus sometimes the aftermarket ignition switch takes some trimming and finess to make it work smooth.

OP
OP
C

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
A locksmith will make a new key back to the original factory cut. I've had a few done there are usually less than $20. Way cheaped and easier than switching out all your locks and ignition. Plus sometimes the aftermarket ignition switch takes some trimming and finess to make it work smooth.

That's what I'm hoping - assume they can do this solely based on the lockset in the truck and not based on the 1 key I have? If so, would they need to pull the ignition lockset out of the dash or can they do it while the ignition is in the truck?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
That's what I'm hoping - assume they can do this solely based on the lockset in the truck and not based on the 1 key I have? If so, would they need to pull the ignition lockset out of the dash or can they do it while the ignition is in the truck?

The guy I use, uses the key. He has a chart that can determine the original pin depth. Even though its worn it will still measure close to what the original pin in the cylinder was. He has a special automotive key cutter that cuts the key to the pin code. It doesn't copy the key.

70_Steve

Old Guy
If so, would they need to pull the ignition lockset out of the dash or can they do it while the ignition is in the truck?
"They" could do it or you could do it. Takes 2 minutes with a paperclip. For me it was worth it for them to have the cylinder in their hand. They actually did a little maintenance on the cylinder while they had it.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Generally, if the key is worn out, the hardware store/dime-store people are not going to be able to "fix" the issue no matter how many keys they cut.

I think you have the correct solution, take your old key to an automotive locksmith and let him decode what you have and code cut a new one.

Generally (on the older locks), the key will wear out before the lock internals. If you really want to do it (repair) to last a while, have at least the ignition and driver's side door locks re-pinned. It's not just the pins that wear or gum up, but the springs will crap out. The greatest/newest pins are worthless if the springs are shot. The locks are also subjected to whatever POs have sprayed in them as well as what may have been picked up from a pocket. I have seen a lot of crazy crap inside a lock.

I would also agree that rebuilding older locks (OEM) is a better option than buying "new" Taiwanese / Chinese junk. I have bought them and had them malfunction within a year. The only caveat is to make sure the locksmith you take them to has experience in older car locks. If they don't, they may not have the parts/knowledge to correctly fix them. Another plus is they have the older pinning kits which are a better quality. I have stuff in the basement that I have had 35+ years that would be hard to replace.

You can pull your locks and take them in. (recommended) Benchwork is much cheaper than the alternative. If the lock is worn out, there isn't much they can do with it in the dash.

Get a new key code cut. Take some electrical tuner cleaner and clean out your locks. Flood them, but be careful to keep stuff off the painted surfaces. (another plus to pulling them). Dry with compressed air and squeeze in some dry graphite.

Last edited:

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
If you're handy or mechanically inclined you can rekey the tumblers yourself to match the new keys that were made. Very simple once you open them up.
http://www.mustangiitech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166:rekeying-ford-locks&catid=57:interior&Itemid=127

I always like it when people give disclaimers on technical advice, especially when it's not in their wheelhouse.

I particularly like this:
You do not have to install pins in every hole.
:eek:
No, as a matter of fact you don't have to have any, then a blank key will work, or a screwdriver, or your neighbors key.........

That practice would get a licensed locksmith booted.

I also don't like the idea of re-using 30 year old parts. It's REALLY hard to clean those springs.

Additionally, I guess while I'm critiquing, those glove box plugs CAN be taken apart. You just have to know what you are doing. Like he said, he's just a cheap ______ and didn't want to pay.....so he virtually destroys stuff.