• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm making some progress on Frank!

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
yea actually it is tempting, thats why I went ahead and ordered my sheetmetal today, before I get confused and lose track of my "Frank" project. .......Frank first then mustang :);):)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
BEN, you ever get a price on those "P" headers? Just wondering.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
thanks trail

no nyles seems Mac doesnt really care about selling headers after I've bought 300 sets of headers and numerous sets of exhaust components etc...when I write em or call I get a very non-excited response "IF ANY" guess I need to talk to a different company........bassani, etc... kinda pisses me off since I've spent many many days promoteing their products then I cant even get a simple reply about building a single header!
Ben

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
here is a few photos before work begins today.....

#1 passenger side quarter panel after all the bondo/paint was removed its not much to work with but it's what I have!
#2 here is a picture of my passenger side with outer rocker removed and striker plate removed.
#3 quarter panel drivers side with bondo/paint removed
#4 inner fender view to rear of striker plate on passenger side
#5 basically same as #4 with a slightly different angle
#6 bottem of striker plate area with striker plate removed (passenger side)
#7 top of striker plate area with striker plate removed (passenger side)
#8 this photo is of the inner rocker passenger side, the black on the bottem is what the ospho turns it into when killing the rust. other than just a few places its pretty solid.

Attachments

• Broncoprogress2 001.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Broncoprogress2 008.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 008.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Broncoprogress2 007.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 007.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Broncoprogress2 006.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 006.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Broncoprogress2 005.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 005.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
  • Broncoprogress2 004.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 004.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Broncoprogress2 003.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 003.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Broncoprogress2 002.jpg
    Broncoprogress2 002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
here is some more shots from today and tonight, it doesnt look like I've done much but I can tell ya I've been busy.
got both the tanks out, my rear tank leaks so it was basically empty, I just hack sawed the hoses off, figured they needed replacing anyway! I've decided to order the passenger and driver side inner rocker panels, so I'll be waiting on the passenger side to come in before going on to far.
LOOK at the last picture and tell me if you would replace the inner rocker panel or not? thanks

Ben

Attachments

• Broncoprogress3 011.jpg
    Broncoprogress3 011.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Broncoprogress3 015.jpg
    Broncoprogress3 015.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Broncoprogress3 013.jpg
    Broncoprogress3 013.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 52
  • Broncoprogress3 017.jpg
    Broncoprogress3 017.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Broncoprogress3 010.jpg
    Broncoprogress3 010.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
first off .....I dont mean to be a post hogg! but, I'm working on this thing and I want everyone to know it! :) where not as nice as nearly 95% of the broncos on here, I still feel that I am saving it from the scrap metal pile, so bear with me.......here is a few shots of how I removed my drivers side rear corner panel......first I cut out a large portion of the metal with a cutoff wheel, then I used a grinder to find the spot welds and a little technique I invented (many probably have already) by putting a chisel or screw driver behind the metal between the spot welds and prying out to expose exactly where the spot welds are. Then I used a 9/64" pilot bit to drill the center of the spot weld then, came back with a large enough bit to break the weld without causing to much damage to the underneth panels. here is a few pics!
let me know if the holes are large enough for my plug welds or if there is anything else I'm not seeig or missing.

Attachments

• Broncoprogress4 068.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 068.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Broncoprogress4 067.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 067.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Broncoprogress4 066.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 066.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Broncoprogress4 065.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 065.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Broncoprogress4 064.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 064.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Broncoprogress4 063.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 063.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Broncoprogress4 062.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 062.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Broncoprogress4 061.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 061.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
here is afew more, after this I used the grinder to clean up the area where the new spot welding will be, and then put "ospho" on the rust and bare metal to kill the rust and form a temp. seal from the elements until I can get everything like I want it to spray primer. Evently the rear drivers side rear cap had been replaced in the early years as is evident by the welds on the bed edge, the bed floor edge etc. I'm ordering my two inner rockers from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard tomorrow, and will more than likely order the tailgate hinge post (drivers side) as well. mine was rusted kinda bad at the bottem and Since I'm going this far I dont want to let that much rust stay on my rig while I'm finishing everything else,... ya know?

Attachments

• Broncoprogress4 076.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 076.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Broncoprogress4 075.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 075.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Broncoprogress4 074.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 074.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Broncoprogress4 073.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 073.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 23
  • Broncoprogress4 072.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 072.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Broncoprogress4 071.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 071.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 45
  • Broncoprogress4 067.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 067.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Broncoprogress4 069.jpg
    Broncoprogress4 069.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
a couple more pics with the bed panel particially removed and ospho on the rust. But in this one picture I have circled with yellow, what panel is this called and what should I do about it, replace it or what? is it the panel that runs inside the rear cross piece? ?:?

Also Notice in the 3rd picture that the tail gate post has been welded to the quarter panel, its this way on both sides, is this factory? Or some damage repair? and last but certainly not least How hard is it to remove the end caps.........You guys make it look soooooo easy, and yet I am haveing a hell of a time with mine! Any input would be appreciated!
thanks
Ben

Attachments

• Copy of Broncoprogress5 004.jpg
    Copy of Broncoprogress5 004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Broncoprogress5 003.jpg
    Broncoprogress5 003.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Broncoprogress5 004.jpg
    Broncoprogress5 004.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Broncoprogress5 002.jpg
    Broncoprogress5 002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Broncoprogress5 001.jpg
    Broncoprogress5 001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 40

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Bronco Ben said:
But in this one picture I have circled with yellow, what panel is this called and what should I do about it, replace it or what?

This is the brace that keeps your rear quarter panels from sagging. I had a metal shop break some 16 ga metal and I trimed to fit. Be sure you have your quarter panels supported where the tail gate will still fit properly before welding these pieces back in,

[/QUOTE]Also Notice in the 3rd picture that the tail gate post has been welded to the quarter panel, its this way on both sides, is this factory? [/QUOTE]

Yes, this is factory.

mcbmg95

Loc.
Pax River, MD
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to “Frank”- it is posts like this that keep me motivated. I have not started on mine. I keep playing with the idea of getting rid of mine. But after reading posts like this I always change my mind. Thanks and keep the posts coming!

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Bronco Ben said:
a couple more pics with the bed panel particially removed and ospho on the rust. But in this one picture I have circled with yellow, what panel is this called and what should I do about it, replace it or what? is it the panel that runs inside the rear cross piece? ?:?

Also Notice in the 3rd picture that the tail gate post has been welded to the quarter panel, its this way on both sides, is this factory? Or some damage repair? and last but certainly not least How hard is it to remove the end caps.........You guys make it look soooooo easy, and yet I am haveing a hell of a time with mine! Any input would be appreciated!
thanks
Ben
I dont remember what that peice is called but you can get it at JBG. I got it from them. They have any body part you need. Keep looking on their site and you will find anything you want.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
it is posts like this that keep me motivated

mcbmg95,
no my friend, it is people like yourself that keep post like these going! "Its kinda like a song writer writing a song, if the crowd gets to where it seeming can't relate, then eventually the song writer themselves become un-motivated, and the song dies due to noone not even the song writer having interest anymore".

Flash69,
Yea I think I found it on JBG site, I'll be making an order this thursday for both my inner rocker panels, then hopefully next week for the tailgate post, those braces you and 77 spoke of, and a few other little small items, untill then (when I can) it's arseholes and elbows working on this thing! :)

Yes, this is factory
77TexasBronc,
So if I break the welds at the top loose and the one at the bottem willit just come out? or is it also spot welds along the tailight corner edges?

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
more pics from work this morning. More bed panel removal but this time passenger side rear corners as well.

#1 passenger side rear bed corner before work begins
#2 passenger side rear bed corner after cutting outline with cutoff wheel and a little tap from the hammer
#3 First I pryed up a little on the back bed panel then I marked the spot welds with a sharpie, and drilled with a pilot bit 9/64", then on to the larger bit
#4 Bed panel seperated with spot welds removed.....I'll use the hole left in the bottem panel to plug weld the new panel back on from the bottem
#5 the cutoff wheel cut thru the bed panel for easy removal
#6 lift up the bed panel ....easy with the exception of a little piece holding it on the top right edge....cut off wheel time again
#7 with the bed panel removed its time to start cleaning up the welds on the bed edges
#8 notice in this last picture how different the colors of the frame are with (drivers side) and without ospho (passengersside) are. The ospho turns the rust black when it kills it! ;D

Attachments

• Broncoprogress6 008.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 008.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Broncoprogress6 007.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 007.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Broncoprogress6 006.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 006.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Broncoprogress6 005.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 005.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Broncoprogress6 004.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 004.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Broncoprogress6 003.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 003.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Broncoprogress6 002.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Broncoprogress6 001.jpg
    Broncoprogress6 001.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
right rear bed corner after clean up........after the ospho, this will probalby be all for me for the day. But I am in the process of ordering both my inner rockers today, so they should be here by the weekend!:)

Attachments

• Broncoprogress7 003.jpg
    Broncoprogress7 003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Broncoprogress7 002.jpg
    Broncoprogress7 002.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Broncoprogress7 001.jpg
    Broncoprogress7 001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
well my bro in law came by so he motivated me to do a little more on the bronco. Here is the results. Friday I should have my tailgate post, both my inner rocker panel pieces, and the brackets talked about above. Plus I opted for a striker post brace to replace the damaged one on the passenger side of my rig.

#1 me with the cut out bed panel standing on edge
#2 another of bed panel about to be removed
#3 just got thru tossin the old bed panel
#4 me grinding out some of the lip left with all the spot welds in it
#5 me grinding (same as pic above just different angle)
#6 Jon working on my hood
#7 me throwing a few sparks
#8 my brand new JBG complete bed panel,even has holes and built in nuts for back seats, etc.

Attachments

• Broncoprogress8 013.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 013.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Broncoprogress8 010.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 010.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Broncoprogress8 011.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 011.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Broncoprogress8 009.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 009.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Broncoprogress8 008.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 008.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Broncoprogress8 007.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 007.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Broncoprogress8 006.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 006.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Broncoprogress8 005.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
the one in the blue shirt is "me" ;D and the guy in the white t shirt is Jon my brother-in-law

#1 passenger side shot
#2 drivers side shot
#3 drivers side front corner of bed
#4 over all view of bed removed from drivers door angle
#5 Shot from behind bronco with the complete bed panel removed

Attachments

• Broncoprogress8 014.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 014.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Broncoprogress8 015.jpg
    Broncoprogress8 015.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 24