• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm making some progress on Frank!

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
You go Ben. That Bronco will be done before you know it. Looks like you are doing a great job so far. Eye protection, hearing protection too ;D . I like that. One question - Is it really warm enough down there to work in short sleeve shirt with fan going ? Doors open too :'(

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
2badrotties said:
One question - Is it really warm enough down there to work in short sleeve shirt with fan going ? Doors open too :'(

I was wondering about that too. ;D Keep it up Ben!!! Your thread is one of the few I have saved individually. I can't wait untill that thing is where you want it. Notice i didn't say done because a Bronco is never done.... :)

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
Is it really warm enough down there to work in short sleeve shirt with fan going ? Doors open too

yep was nearly 80 degrees today down here! :cool: ;D :cool:
its cooled off considerbly tonight, around 62 or maybe even 63 degrees!

thanks guys for the replys, The mustangs jealous, but I'll keep nibbling away at this thing until I get it done, ......all I can say is THANK GOD my bro-in-law came back home from germany, he's really helped a ton!
thanks JON!

Ben

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
another nite of workin on the EB! ;D

here is the only two photos of the nights progress, doesnt look like much but hey at least I'm working on it. I ran out of sanding pads for my sander! I'll try to buy more this weekend. Also I ordered the quarter panel to tailhousing braces (pair) and the rear support for chanel for my bed panel! I'll try to either try to finish this panel (stripping the paint) or do this same amount of work on the other inner quarter panel. The liquid you see is my famed "ospho".....seals it against flash rusting until I can get it all blasted and epoxy primed!

Ben

pictures #1 and pictures #2 are after sanding and ospho!
pictures #3 is the inner quarter before sanding and stripping!

Attachments

• Broncoprogress9 012.jpg
    Broncoprogress9 012.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Broncoprogress9 011.jpg
    Broncoprogress9 011.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 84
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Great Thread Ben . I love the pics. I saw the tranny that you built sitting in one of the pics. You are doing a good job.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
thanks Flash69! I know I've let my project sit around, but once I get motivated, I'm pretty much motivated! At least until I run out of money! ;D
I actually wanted to have the complete inner fender on this drivers side finished tonight, two things slowed my progress, #1 I ran out of sanding pads for my grinder, #2 I skint two fingers on my right hand, (i'm guessing one of the sanding scotchbrite pads picked up a piece of metal and sliced into my pinky finger and the one next too it,right out on the tips oooouch! :eek: ).
Tonight (maybe Walmart has the sanding materials I need) maybe I can get this inner fender finished, and move on to start on the passenger side inner fender. I'd love to have both complete by friday, then hopefully friday night I can start stripping paint around the floor pans area up by the firewall. I still have plenty to do ....just gotta stay after it one area at a time. I'm a person who likes to see progress! If I can see something I've done that looks like I've acomplished something then I can use it as motivation to move on, if its something slow, it's not such a good motivator, sooo I just have to keep after it.
2bad, how did you remove the seam sealer in the cracks on your bronco project?
thanks
Ben

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I can pipe in on removing the seam sealer!!!!!

I used a two step method that worked well.

1) use a regular heat gun (I got mine at Harbor Freight $9) and heat all the old goop up really hot. Then use a putty knife to scrape as much as you can out! This will prepare you for step 2!

2) get a hand held blasting gun, the small type with the canister on top. That will rip throught the last little bit you have left!

Bingo! Clean Seams!!!!!

Top-of-the-Morning-to-YA!

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
thanks primate and hotwheels, I'm at least trying! :)

I bought a few sanding disc at Napa this afternoon on my in from work, so if the wife lets me after supper I'll try and finish up that one quarter panel at least.

tell me this, if the ospho leaves a finish that is ready to paint kinda like primer, then it should be ok until I blast it correct? I'm thinking it will be, and from what I read I could actually just prime over it if I wanted too, but I'll at least resand every inch of it or blast it before I prime the whole body tub (inside and out)
Ben

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Just wanted to take a sec and mention that itis not agood thing touch bare metal with your bare oily hand...it will cause rust. FYI, you probably already knew this...

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
10-4 yea, its the oils in your hand or something that causes it. The ospho kills the finger prints I think, I'm gonna try and sand or blast every inch of the tub before priming and probably wipe it down with grease and wax remover as well.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
Update Jan 5th 05'

thanks agent, I'm trying to make up for lost time. Hell the outter fenders, quarters, doors tailgate may not turn out perfect but the inner body tub will be as rustless as I can get it!......

here is tonights update on Frank..this is the passenger side inner quarter panel.....not much accomplished but lots of work went on! whew! its 10:40 pm here! :p
Ben

Attachments

• Broncoprogress10 009.jpg
    Broncoprogress10 009.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 78

4x4x289

Bronco Ben said:
yep was nearly 80 degrees today down here! :cool: ;D :cool:
its cooled off considerbly tonight, around 62 or maybe even 63 degrees!

thanks guys for the replys, The mustangs jealous, but I'll keep nibbling away at this thing until I get it done, ......all I can say is THANK GOD my bro-in-law came back home from germany, he's really helped a ton!
thanks JON!

Ben

great job ben. working with your bro-in-law, thats cool too.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Keep up the good work Ben! These are a labor of love if anything!

I used the wax/degreaser on everything just before painting, even painted surfaces. It just made me feel better (also 2Bad was my Bronco's-Guardian-Angel!)

Remember that if you get frusterated.....WALK AWAY FROM THE BRONCO!!!!

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
after taking last night off I did the right thing and got back to work tonight, my bro-in-law Jon even came down to pitch in. all I can say is Man what a night! we removed the inner rocker on the passenger side, and let me tell you its time consuming to say the least. Finally we removed all the spot welds that hold on the inner rocker, the ones in the bottem of the kick panel (front) the ones on the front floor pan brace, the ones on the middle floor pan brace, the ones coming down from the quarter panel area ( the corner floor pan i believe) and whatever else that was holding it. Man what a job......I have to admire anyone who has taken on this before, and just to think I have the same thing to do to the other side in the next few days! :p
anyways here is a few pics of the old rocker coming out and the mock up of the new one.
thanks for viewing
Ben

Attachments

• Broncoprogress11 025.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 025.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Broncoprogress11 024.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 024.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Broncoprogress11 023.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 023.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 64
  • Broncoprogress11 022.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 022.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Broncoprogress11 021.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 021.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • Broncoprogress11 005.jpg
    Broncoprogress11 005.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
HELP MNKYBIZ! ?:? ...............dude I'm scared to death that something won't ever line back up again! .....really I think I will be fine, but If I have to call on you and 2bad, then please be home! lol

I'm up and getting breakfast this morning, so it should be pretty soon that I start on the bronco. I'll start with some tack welds to get everything sturdyed up, then on to cleaning up more spot welds, and all. I'll try to do a step by step today, as I move along. wish me luck, I'm sure I'll need it!
Ben

in this picture below I circled the areas that I had spot welds to drill out, in area #1 there were at least 16 or 17 welds I had to drill out! a very tough job!

update today!10:36 am in Alabama time, and I've been grinding away at spot welds that didnt come out properly. I guess my sister is right in one respect, she claims I have OCD (obessive compulsive disorder) which I dont understand why, I just hate rust! ;D ........anyway, I'm just double, tripple and checking it once more that I have all the rust killed, I cant stand rust! well back to "the grind" Literally! ;D
Ben

Attachments

• innerrockers.JPG
    innerrockers.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
update 4:08 pm
here are a few pics of the passenger door striker plate, the inner rocker and the passenger side bed corner panel somewhat installed. And a pic of the drivers side coming down!
stay tuned
Ben

Attachments

• Broncoprogress12 016.jpg
    Broncoprogress12 016.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Broncoprogress12 015.jpg
    Broncoprogress12 015.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Broncoprogress12 014.jpg
    Broncoprogress12 014.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 39