• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing a Magnaflow Exhaust

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I've been struggling to get a Magnaflow exhaust installed on my '77 Bronco (https://www.magnaflow.com/products/15344-magnaflow-1966-1977-ford-bronco-street-series-crossmember-back-performance-exhaust-system). I think the culprit might be that my long tube headers sit too low and I can't get the cross member to fit around the transmission correctly. As you can see in the photos, I had to use a flex pipe and adapters to get the cross member to fit, but it wasn't sitting correctly. I've tried using some s-pipe adapters to get the cross member higher but that didn't work.

Before I called a shop, I figured I'd check with the forum to see if anyone else went through the same thing and if I would need to use different headers, which might cost less than bringing the Bronco to a shop, or if it is something else. I can provide more photos if it is helpful. Thank you, as always.

Attachments

• back-of-bronco.jpg
    back-of-bronco.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 45
  • cross-member-header.jpg
    cross-member-header.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 45
  • cross-member-underneath.jpg
    cross-member-underneath.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 44

White Knight

Contributor
I have long tube headers and installed and did duals…. Ended up with custom routing but may help

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 23

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I have the James Duff dual setup with TBP long headers, zero fitment issues. What brand headers do you have? If you want to keep the long headers, i think taking it to a shop and having them rebend that section is your solution. I'd personally do that vs swapping headers.

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I have the James Duff dual setup with TBP long headers, zero fitment issues. What brand headers do you have? If you want to keep the long headers, i think taking it to a shop and having them rebend that section is your solution. I'd personally do that vs swapping headers.
I'm not 100% sure since they were installed by the previous owner, but if I had to guess, they are the Scott Drake long tubes. The tube layout/routing looks the same, and they come with a three-bolt flange.

I'd love to bring it to a shop and have it installed the right way, but I don't have all of the pieces secure, and I can't get the downturn pipes properly connected to the mufflers. I assume the drive wouldn't be too loud or risky as long as everything was fastened correctly for the 3-mile drive.