• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing BC Pre Bent Fuel Line

57baja

Contributor
So, did they change the design of the lines? There is no way the lines I received would go "over" the trans crossmember. In fact, just before getting to the crossmember mine drop about 2 inches. They are nice and tight under it, but there is no way mine would fit on top of it.

I have BCB efi tank and the pre bent efi lines. I struggled all day and thought I had the wrong lines. Seems everyone has the same problems I did. The back half from the tank fit great, the front half I had to tweak almost to the point of throwing them in the trash I was so mad.I did not know if they went above or below the crossmember they were bent as if they should go straight through the crossmember. I finally tweaked them to go over but it was almost impossible to line everything up after that. The problem is the 8" piece that gives you the option of running saddle tanks, it goes over the crossmember and is hard to get together and I had to take mine apart a couple of times to get it not to leak.If they eliminated this section and just pre bent the lines over the crossmember with no saddle tank option it would have been fine I think. As usual I thought I was doing something wrong or just got ones that weren't bent right so I just complained to myself instead of calling BCB.;D

Todoubled

Well, then the line I received must have been mis-bent. There is a hump in both lines at the crossmember, but it dips down on both lines, not up. The only way they would fit is to go under. And this is with the body off, so Im not struggling like those with the body on. I have a clear view of everything... No way mine were designed to go over. I do like them though, dont get me wrong.

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
wow , as this thread grows I am starting to get concerned that the efi line kit might not be a good choice(oldskool, your way sounds like the better choice) still going to buy chucks tank but I dont want to spend a whole saturday plumbing fuel lines due to fitment issues.....

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
BcBroncos fuel lines are junk.
Good luck with your lines
Junk? Maybe they did not fit for you but they are not Junk. I have no idea why some get the lines in without too much work and others can't seem to get them in at all. We put them in here often and have yet to have a set not fit at least very close. I think all EB's are diff and the area OVER the crossmember is hard to deal with but if we designed them to go under the crossmenber they would be susceptible to all kinds of damage. The clamps are available without the lines so if you want to make your own lines just order the clamps. Yes it is easier to move stuff like the diff. valve, T-case, crossbar, body and exhaust but we do it without removing all that stuff and if we can almost anyone can.:) Or maybe a lift makes the diff? For those of you who have lines that they think can not go over the crossmember if you would send me a picture I would like to see as it is possible that the tubing place that makes them may have inverted that set of bends. About the 8" center tube, it would be cheaper to make them without that center but it would be harder to install and cost more to make and ship. You the customer end up paying for the shipping not me. The advantage to me is we only need one set on lines in stock, 2 counting the 351 front line. The 8" piece is removed to use a aux tank.

broncaholic

I also fought with the fuel lines. The instructions were not as clear as what I would have appreciated but after a couple calls to Chuck, I worked through the problems. I had to tweak the lines in a few spots to get them to work and they barely made it through the space between the crossmember and the frame. If the fitting was smaller, it wouldn't have been so bad. Thought I would screw up the threads stuffing it through. Where the lines terminate in the engine compartment made it interesting to install EFI hoses as well. If they were longer, I think it would have made it much easier. Took me about 3 days of trial and error to get them installed. Hang in there, it can be done!

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Thanks for your response Chuck - I am always happy with your parts and your follow up.

I did have the body off and I was not clear on whether the lines went under or over the crossmember - it looked as if they were bent and designed to go under - I am not at home so I will follow up with a pic if need be to you Chuck.

I did put my body back on as I was hesitant to have the fuel lines installed and coming up near the firewall and risk bending them while five guys tried to easily lower the body on!!

I am going to try and get them installed Thurs night when we have Bronco night and a few buddies are there to help.

As far as junk - I would disagree - I think they are well made and I just need to find the proper fit and location - like most things once you figure it out after bloody knuckes, extra bolts, broken tools, etc...the 2nd time goes in as a breeze.

I'll follow up Thurs night with pics and results.

BC

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Here are a couple of pics of mine without the body in the way. I did have the rear return line backwards at first, but its changed now...the important part the front lines are correct though

BrakeLines2.jpg

BrakeLines3.jpg

Brakelines1.jpg

And one of where it goes over the trans Xmember

DSC00540.jpg

Hope that helps!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Chuck, I haven't bought your lines yet, but just spent yesterday under a stock EB, the space above the D20 bracket on the driver side is the thickness of your fingers and width of about three fingers, in stock form that space is taken up by parking brake cable (an immovable object in the middle), wiring harness, and original fuel line.

If I where to remove the old line and install new lines, I would lose the opportunity to install or remove the D20 bracket bolt on that side. It's that tight.

My work around is going to be install 1" body lift and do the install while the motor/tranny/D20 are out, solves my problem.

For those that have not removed anything and just want to install fuel lines, all I can say is ouch, good luck.

Maybe having a line that splits before and after the D20 bracket, with softhose connecting the two sections?

What I see in the pics above is a fitting right at the d20 bracket and right where the parking brake line is mounted, if you could imagine the body ontop of those lines, the brake fitting would be right there.

Have you thought of making the tubing ends for rubber fuel line and clamps instead of brass fittings? I work on plenty of BMW's that have rubber fuel line between each section with no leaks, right from the factory. I would think rubber line would save some bucks, make easier install. Yes, rubber degrades. In 30 years we can worry about that problem.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Maybe BMW is not the right example as they had problems for years with fuel lines leaking but I know what you mean. We provide the hose ends on the ends of the lines. If we had the line made with hose ends on them people would want AN fittings.

Todoubled

I hope that my comments didn't make it seem like I didn't like the product. I'm actually very happy with the install, even though I ran the lines under the crossmember. There is only about a 2 inch section of the lower line that hangs below the frame and it seems to be protected by the radius arm. I may make a little sheet aluminum skid plate to cover it, but I don't think it will get damaged. I would actually like to thank Chuck. BC makes great products and have shown me nothing but excellent customer service. I live in AK, so shipping can get a little out of hand at sometimes, but I wouldn't ever hesitate to order from them again. Thanks Guys

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Thank you all, I will look at the lines to see if I can use some of your idea's. And maybe make them easier to install. Also want everyone to know that other than one little statement this thread has been helpful to me

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been following this thread as it has progressed and I have a question that maybe Chuck or someone else can answer. It seems as though everyone is talking about the fuel line set up for EFI . I am wanting to redo my fuel lines but I am running a carburetor. Do you think I will face the same problems that others have had with this install ? I do have a body lift on my EB.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Got mine in....let me say...it is infinitely easier with the engine and drivetrain removed. I have the 351 version so they terminate just in front of the firewall. They are still a very tight fit where the cross member bracket bolts to the frame, but it looks like they won't be pinched by the bracket. If you had a body lift, they would fit much better as the up/down clearance is minimal from the cross member bracket forward....the area where they pass by the drivers floor. I can tell with everything put back together there won't be much clearance between the lines, the floor, the T case shifter, the e-brake cable, & the speedo cable.
Someone had asked for pics of the 351 version, so I snapped a few with them installed.

It will be interesting to see how they work out with the exhaust/headers. In the pic, they seem like they will be right over the top of the headers.....hot fuel....bad. Stay tuned for that once the headers are in.

Another question: Has anyone made a mount for the fuel filter at the back of the lines? I don't see anything to attach the filter to, and it is supported by the line as shown in the pic. I'm just wondering if over time the weight of the full filter will fatigue the supply line that is supporting it?

Attachments

• 0313101409.jpg
    0313101409.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 0313101411.jpg
    0313101411.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 0313101412.jpg
    0313101412.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 52

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Matt / Wyle, great pictures guys. I actually have the single carb kit installed and I did not have any issues. However, I did not have my body on either. I do agree with Matt that it is very tight over the crossmember. It would be nice to see a little more in the bends here but overall VERY HAPPY with the product.