• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Front Springs?

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
I just got my WH front springs. I'm wondering how little I can disconnect to get them in. I just did all my front end bushings a couple months back. So all I really need to do is get these new springs in.
I would really like to NOT undo a everything. It's already lifted, just has an old Rancho lift kit.

Gonna do the rear springs too, but that looks pretty straight forward and I need to put all the bushings in there anyways.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I think you just have to sag each side to take the pressure off and take everything apart. Should be an easy swap. I used the second link provided above and it was very helpful.

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
I did mine a few months back. Super simple. Support the frame on that side, take off the wheel and the shock, then lower the axle to full droop. Swap springs and bolt it all back up.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I did mine a few months back. Super simple. Support the frame on that side, take off the wheel and the shock, then lower the axle to full droop. Swap springs and bolt it all back up.
What he said.

To make the "Swap springs" a little easier...

Put the lower coil cup and retainer into position and start the bolts 3-4 threads. Put the spring on top of the retainer and "screw" it into position. Then tighten the two bolts.

Lift the axle to put the top of the spring into the coil tower. Start the coil retainer bolt in the middle of the coil tower. Use a tapered drift (or whatever) to align the front bolt hole, then use vicegrips to keep the retainer in position until you get the bolt installed in the front. Then finish tightening everything.

OP
OP
D

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
Sweet, sounds like the front's gonna be easire then tearing everything apart.

Now on to the rear leafs!

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
The fronts took me about 30 minutes a side. I also swapped in new 11 leaf packs to replace my stockers with add a leaf. Those took about 2 hours a side. Was able to do the backs one side at a time as well. Supported frame removed tire and shock then lowered axle to full droop. Messing with the heavy spring packs and undoing the bolts were a chore even though I was lucky and didn't have any rust issues.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
An a frame makes it easy. I did this in about 45 minutes.

Attachments

• Tweety and the Grands 017.jpg
    Tweety and the Grands 017.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 41
  • Tweety and the Grands 018.jpg
    Tweety and the Grands 018.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Tweety and the Grands 019.jpg
    Tweety and the Grands 019.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Tweety and the Grands 020.jpg
    Tweety and the Grands 020.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 40

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
To make the "Swap springs" a little easier...

Put the lower coil cup and retainer into position and start the bolts 3-4 threads. Put the spring on top of the retainer and "screw" it into position. Then tighten the two bolts.

Finally learned that trick on my own after much frustration. Makes it MUCH easier than startng those 2 bolts while holding the spring in place! How come you didn't post this several years ago? :mad: lol

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just watch the brake line and steering linkage.
This will extend the axle futher then it normally would travel. So you may run into some limits you normally don't have to deal with.
Possibly loosen the big nut on the back of the radius arm to loosen the bushing so it will drop easier (without spring pressure pushing the axle away from the frame)

70_Steve

Old Guy
Finally learned that trick on my own after much frustration. Makes it MUCH easier than startng those 2 bolts while holding the spring in place! How come you didn't post this several years ago? :mad: lol
Lol!!! I Did!!!;D

Note the date!
VVVVVVVVV

Attachments

• Coil Spring Post.jpg
    Coil Spring Post.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10