• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing new spindle bearings and seals, what is the pressing-in Depth

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Am changing the spindle bearings on some 79 Bronco spindles.Is the spindle bearing supposed to be pressed in as far as it goes? Can't remember. The Timken bearing kit comes with 2 seals that were not present when I disassembled them from a 79 Bronco. The smaller I assume is for the inner spindle. Which way is this supposed to face, and the larger where is that supposed to go and which way does it face also ? The book does not address this, and the diagrams I have seen does not show the seals I am talking about..Thanks...Mo

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In my experience, they go in all the way until seated. There may be variations I'm not aware of of course, but that's what I've found.

Correct on the smaller seal. Just pops in on top of the bearing (when the bearing goes deep enough to leave a place for it) with the open end facing toward the bearing.

The larger one should be what we call the "bellows" seal, and it would slide on to the outer axle's flange. The machined wide spot where the slinger sits. Assuming you still have a slinger too.
The thick part slides over the axle facing the slinger. The thin bellows lip faces the spindle.

Paul

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thanks Donk

I appreciate it. Exactly what I needed. Not sure on the slinger as I have not removed the 74's knuckles and cleaned enough to see what's below the 38 years of crud( peeking between the knuckle I couldn't see anything). I will seat it all the way, my major concern is if there is enough of a ledge formed by the outer bearing cage against the spindle to allow for a future bearing change with the brake mounting tool that I used to remove the bearing originally, and if I install it not fully seated, but far out with enough room to insert and retain the seal, will it be OK to run or would it hurt any....Mo?:?

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Spindle Bearings

Not the shaft but as Donk described on the actual spindle. Sorry for all the threads, but as I am on a budget, I am doing things that come up and I either don't remember or am getting to as $$ allows. Years ago when I did this, there was a great article on this swap and a full write-up which I printed at the time. That was in the early 90's and with my deteriorating memory I am surprised I have gotten this far. I am again printing applicable responses to save for the future builds and as replacement guides...Mo

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...my major concern is if there is enough of a ledge formed by the outer bearing cage against the spindle to allow for a future bearing change with the brake mounting tool that I used to remove the bearing originally, and if I install it not fully seated, but far out with enough room to insert and retain the seal, will it be OK to run or would it hurt any....Mo?:?

I can't think of anything that it would hurt, as long as you check things as you install them to make sure there is no additional binding of the axle shaft as the spindle is pulled up tight with the bolts.
As for the axles and bearings themselves, I don't think the axle shaft cares whether it rides 1/8" one way or the other on the bearing.
But there are definitely things that can cause binding if not located correctly. Easy to tell though. As you start to pull the spindle up tight to the knuckle with the 5 bolts, rotate the axle to make sure it's not binding.

Paul