• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it advisable to do a 1000 mile+ journey on the EB?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
So close to the drive across from Gatlinburg to Cherokee on 441 thru the Great Smokies, Take a detour, drop the top and enjoy the view!

And from the looks of that Bronco I would drive it from Key West Fl. to Prudoe Bay Alaska. I would check the usual before starting on your journey. Fluids, Make sure she is lubed up, Steering links, Brakes, then head out. She is a beauty for sure.

Attachments

• Br.jpg
    Br.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Done deal!! Im booking a one way trip to Arkansas;D WOOHOO!!!! Honestly I dont think I could have held out waiting for a transport company to get it to me. Besides I think it will be a good chance to learn about all the quirks this EB has.

Looks like the adventure will begin in the early hours of Wednesday. Any scenic route suggestions are highly appreciated!!!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Things that come to mind for a long road trip in a new EB:
Earplugs,
Extra coolant and all fluids,
A full gas can,
Belts,
Cheap inline fuel filters,
Jumper cables,
Jack & lug wrench,
Zip ties,
Bailing wire,
Duct tape,
gloves,
a pry bar,
A small spool of 14 gauge stranded wire,
some misc crimp connectors,
A cheap $5 multimeter,
Small tool kit with the basics......

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Looking at your map route...you go through Knoxville. Suzy Duff is in that area somplace. Shoot her an e-mail and let her know your driving through. Your also going through some prime MEB country. Great bunch of folks...let them know your passing through. Keep us posted. Updates along the way if you have internet on your phone. ;D

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Very nice, I say go for and take the advice of some of the members on this board. The experience may be worth a few minor problems and you"ll get a good idea of what you may want to change to fit your liking on the Bronco after 1000 miles

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I have driven mine to Cabo San Lucas and back over 100 times since I bought it in '84. That is what I got it for. I only wish it was as nice as yours. I would be more woried about a new car than that Bronco.
I would drive that one you got to the Moon and back if they would put some Gas Stations on the way. Go For it!! If you break it down to three days you only have to drive about three hours at a time ie; Breakfast, drive three hours and stop for Lunch. Drive three hours and stop for dinner / the night. Do that for three days and it is easy on you and the Rig. Two days a little harder. Strait through, no fun at all IMO. More than three days and you can through in some side trips / sight seeing if you want.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I made an 8000 mile trip towing a popup camper back in '95.
the list
1 wheel bearing
3 u-joints
1 fuel injector
1 wheel bearing lock nut & washer ( see wheel bearing above pin was broke lasted 2K miles)
1 throttle cable broke 3 times( had summit send one to future destination)
1 pair of glasses that were left on the camper when repacking about 1 hour into the trip, had to order a new set and sent to a future stop 2K miles into the trip.
no heat forgot the pull for heat knob

trip took around 45 days

would love to do it again.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
My 14 year old son and I just did a 3600 mile trip in our 68 this summer. It was an incredible experience we both will remember for the rest of our lives. We changed 2 fuel filters, the right side hub bearings, Replaced some screws from the headlight, and had a shop tighten a loose tierod. I brought basic hand tools and a small sledge but still needed to buy a few tools for the hub bearings.
No matter what you prepare for, you will most likely need something unexpected.
I added roadside assistance and towing to my insurance, for added peace of mind, but never needed it.
Don't forget your camera. :cool:
Here is the Bronco we drove:

Attachments

• P6050078.JPG
    P6050078.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 52

Miker

Bronco Guru
I picked up my '69 Bronco from my cousin back in April after waiting about 15 months. He trailered it from Florida to Townsend, TN to the Bronco Celebration. Me and my son drove it home to NEW HAMPSHIRE with octane boost, lead substitutue, various other oils, antifreeze, lug wrench, etc (in case needed) Then, we picked up a u-haul trailer and en route picked up a sweet frame, a 5.0, steel aux gas tank, and some other stuff in Delaware.
Keep your cell phone charged, don't be in a hurry, join the most expensive level of Triple AAA there is just in case you break down - I think they will tow with no further charges for like 100 miles.
You'll have fun, I timed my ride out poorly though, imagine driving through New York City at 8:00am in a manual steering, manual break, manual transmission in stop & go traffic with a trailer load of crap.
But, it's all good, she's home and she's runnin' just fine.

BCH BRCO

My first trip in the '66 was this May when I picked it up in Michigan and drove 150 miles to my place in northern Ohio. It was a piece of cake compared to the journey you are talking about but I did drive most of it in a rain storm so that made it exciting! I kept a constant eye on the temp and oil pressure but never had any problem.

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
Did you buy this sight unseen? You may also want to think about a spare tire as well (if its not stuffed in the back). Very nice looking bronco. Good luck on your road trip, you'll have a blast and a great story to tell for years to come.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I am so jealous, I wish I could go with you. Have fun man and enjoy the ride. Don't get in a hurry and let her purr!!!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Thanks for all the replies. I did just join AAA. Currently grabbing all the tools. I sourced a shop where Im picking up the Bronco to fill and tighten whatever needs to be tightened. I ordered a spare tire and rim to throw in the back. Car chargers for the computer and the phone will give it access to the net so I can post pics and updates here.

Hopefully it wont be too hot cause this Bronco does not have AC. Luckily the top comes down.

Any more suggestions on where to pass and what to look at? Thanks to Revelation I just added a few more miles to the total.

Totally looking forward to this one......

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Did you buy this sight unseen? You may also want to think about a spare tire as well (if its not stuffed in the back). Very nice looking bronco. Good luck on your road trip, you'll have a blast and a great story to tell for years to come.

Yeah I did. Deposits paid and the remainder will be paid when I get there. The seller seems like an honest guy. He described it with al its perfections and flaws.

Generally I would never buy something sight unseen, but I just did not want to risk losing this one. I've lost too many things by waiting in life.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I am so jealous, I wish I could go with you. Have fun man and enjoy the ride. Don't get in a hurry and let her purr!!!

Dont be jealous!! You live in a part of the country where you get to go wheelin all the time. NYC is not wheelin... I need to drive out quite far just to see some trees. Besides you can come.

Ratch

Contributor
I see you are fairly new to the forum. Welcome and congrats on your new ride! We have a good bunch of guys here in Nashville. If you have any problems in middle Tn area, give us a shout. You can pm me for my number.
Oh, and bring a laptop if you have it. Post pics and such along the way home.