• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it advisable to do a 1000 mile+ journey on the EB?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
You only get a few chances to do something like this in life. Grab your truck and drive it back. Your back up is pretty easy. Plan on, at one point, needing a U-haul truck and trailer. Price them from various locations on your route. Locate all rental places on your route. Have money for tow truck and cheap motel. Bring your pistol if you have one, I've seen scary movies about the Apalachia area.

Almost forgot. Tell us when you are making this trip and give an idea of the route. There will be many on here that will be willing to lend a hand if you need it. Others may just want to meet up for dinner and talk bronco. Many will also be able to tell you which BBQ places are worth stopping at and which to avoid.

^ Well said. :cool:

I drove mine to and from the Supercelebration back in April. It was the furthest I have ever driven a Bronco. It was a great experience for the most part, and it felt great when I finally made it to Townsend, like I had made a huge accomplishment. I even had a guy blow the horn and give me thumbs up when I was coming back.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
As 70_Steve mentioned......take some tools and parts (fuel pump, control module, belts and hoses - all the usual subjects).

Outside of that, have fun. At least it looks like it's got big cumfy seats. Not having cruise control is gonna suck after about 50 miles!!

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
Whats youre time schedule for the trip? Im about a mile from 75 in Tn. Lenoir City exit 81. Looks like youll be passing by, also known as gateway to the smokeys;). Duffs not more than half hour from me, if im off work i wouldnt mind helping ya but dont foresee any problems with such a nice ride! Have a wonderfull trip and cant wait to see the pics!;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
good for you! great looking ride that makes a bunch of us envious! The brotherhood take care of their own. IF there are problems someone is always close by. Sounds like a great, exciting trip that will need plenty of pictures and do keep us posted. I expect to see that truck at BYOB in Mass. next year!
(if you do run into any problems don't hesitate to contact me, i work for a Ford dealer and can always make some calls if you need help)

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the replies. I did just join AAA. Revelation I just added a few more miles to the total.

Totally looking forward to this one......

I recently drove across on 441 and the whole time wishing I had been in my Bronco. It is a nice ride, with alot of overlooks to stop at along the way. Have fun, and as all have said take alot of pics.

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
Sounds like a fun trip. A 5 gal bucket can be used to carry your extra fluids in, and as something to stand to reach the back of the eng compartment during repairs. If it breaks down to the point it can not be repaired on the road, you could rent a truck and trailer from penske and tow it the rest of the home, AAA should be able to help set that up. good luck.
Jim

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
In VA you'll be coming up I81 through the Shenandoah Valley. Very nice. I would plan on doing some of the drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive which parallels I81. Absolutely beautiful. There are a number of caverns (Luray, Shenandoah) along that route, some wineries and quite a few civil war battlefields, if you're into history. IMO the best battlefields are Antitem, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg (just a little south of 81 on Route 15), Manassas/Bull Run (about 40 miles east of I81 on 66) but there are a number of smaller battlefields as well.

Shopping for Bronco parts? As already pointed out Duff's is along the way in Knoxville and there is also Auto Krafters in New Market, VA right on 81 - both are CB site sponsors. Even if you aren't ready to buy anything, stop in - both places have friendly folks and would be happy to show you around.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
One thing is for sure. You are an awesome tight knit group. I never expected this many replies. By the looks of things Ill be hanging out in Tennessee for a little while longer than expected. Definitely have to do a bit of souveneer shopping at Duffs ;D Here is the new route with a little detour just after knoxville. Who's up for a little tour?

Screen%20shot%202010-08-07%20at%2011.14.59%20AM.png

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WE ARE all just a contact away...good luck!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
May I suggest that members along the route PM their phone #s to NY. That way he can quickly get in touch with someone if he needs to be towed to find a place to land and turn a few wrenches... or of course to meet up for a BBQ.

This sounds like a great trip. You are going to learn about your new ride in a very short time. Like someone else said, take a laptop if you can and start a road trip thread that you can update us all on along the way.

Oh yeah, awesome looking Bronco and Welcome!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Hey guys. Is it normal to be thinking of upgrades even before getting the truck??

Im thinking that while I am in knoxville might as well do some upgrades at Duff. And while Im at it spend a few days around there.

I cant even sleep anymore. I am too excited about this.

Ratch

Contributor
Hey guys. Is it normal to be thinking of upgrades even before getting the truck??

Im thinking that while I am in knoxville might as well do some upgrades at Duff. And while Im at it spend a few days around there.

Yup, You got it bad.

P.S. I shot you an email with contact info.

msweb

Bronco Guru
Sweet looking ride and I hope you have a great trip! I'm right next to Ratch here in TN. Full garage and trailer if needed but let's hope for the best. If you like BBQ I'm sure we can find a place around here and I know for sure that Ratch knows where there's some ice cold bottles that need popin ;)

I'll PM you my info, feel free to use it any time day or night!

Mike

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Do the trip! Carry some tools and a few extra parts (belts, etc.) and be prepared if something should break. Last summer I drove my bronco (hadn't run in over 10 years) from Oregon to North Carolina and back with a wonderful side trip to Gore, VA for the MEB Roundup. We did over 8,000+ miles. The board here was very encouraging and helped motivate me for the trip. A road trip to bring your bronco home sounds like a great way to start your bronco experiences.

broncokak

Bronco Guru

Oh, this is just the beginning! ;D Next comes more upgrades, more spending time all over the place with great Bronco people and being to excited about it...

brewchief

I'd do it if time and $$ permitted, if all goes perfect you'll have a story to tell for years, if it all goes sideways you'll have a story to tell for years. Some of my best memories are of trips that didn't go as planned.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan

It is normal to constantly be thinking of upgrades....even if you haven't got the truck home. ;D I get an idea and think i have made up my mind about it......then another idea comes along and the first is then in question....too many decisions/options/upgrades/mods to be done. . . . it can be so hard to make a final decision...%)

Congrats on your purchase. It is a sweet looking rig!

J.D.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Point of interest

IF you are to take Revelation's route (see the map he posted), one point of interest would be the Biltmore Estate (http://www.biltmore.com/). It is in Asheville, NC. I believe it is the largest or one of the largest homes in the U.S. . It was built in the 1800s and was very elaborate. Check out the link above.

So close to the drive across from Gatlinburg to Cherokee on 441 thru the Great Smokies, Take a detour, drop the top and enjoy the view!

And from the looks of that Bronco I would drive it from Key West Fl. to Prudoe Bay Alaska. I would check the usual before starting on your journey. Fluids, Make sure she is lubed up, Steering links, Brakes, then head out. She is a beauty for sure.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
good luck on your trip... and congrads on the nice rig... one thing that i cant do with out here in FL with the heavy down poor of rain that we get is RainX or something similar. Some times thoes wipers just cant keep up. just keep it off that nice paint!