• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it possible - fuel switch running off road lights?

jcb9089

I won't be using my fuel tank selector switch on the dash but it is still in place with a blank bezel.

Is it possible to run off road lights (KC or Hella ) using the original fuel selector switch?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes, just run the wires to the right place, and use a solenoid to run the hi current for the lights, should be fine. (use the switch to power the solenoid/relay)

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

relay

I don't have the relay, just the lights. Any suggestions on the relay, how to run?

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Use a relay. Not that hard to hook up and you'll get bright light instead of dingy yellow glow. If your headlights are not on relays, do them while you got your head into it.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Viperwolf has a wiring diagram for just about everything if you don't know how to wire a relay/solenoid.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A relay isn't shown or mentioned, but I doubt that cheezy switch can handle 10A, so I bet there's one in the box. The stock eB fuel gauge switch was built before they knew how to make reliable low-current switches, but I still don't think it'll stand up to 10A, even if you double-wire it. A relay is cheap & easy, so I'd use one in any case. Use this as a guide, but use a modern Bosch/Tyco cube relay. Start with a 15A fuse near the battery going to relay terminal 30; run the switch from a stock circuit that's powered when you want (park lights, ICVR, whatever you choose) to 85; 86 goes to ground; 87 feeds the lights.

That shows an illuminated switch, which is the reason for the extra ground at the top - you'll only use a center terminal & one other on that side.