• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Fuel Tank mass buy for East coast

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Like others have said, the paint is not the best. Mine has a decent size dent in it, but I don't think it will be an issue.

maup

So is everyone that I have tanks for picking them up at the MEB event next saturday? Joe contacted me about picking his up there...

Do I need to RSVP for that event? I haven't seen a thread about it but probably missed it. I have never been to a MEB event before.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
On the paint my plan was always to paint it anyway. Most vendors are only a primer. Maybe 904 will chime in but on west coast I wouldn't worry about it. On the east coast with all the salt we use on roads mine will get a coat of KBS or POR Before goes in.

Also got an email from Aero. Tanks to NC ford Guy and MIGS have shipped but may be delayed due to weather on east coast.

I have to say that I installed an Aero tank today for a fellow Bronco brother. He bought the tank without the brackets installed and it was an SOB to get that paint off to do the welding. 50 grit sanding discs gummed up, ended up using some Carb cleaner to finish off what the discs would not do.
We do not deal with the salt issue here, but I have done touch up painting to the tank before install.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
So is everyone that I have tanks for picking them up at the MEB event next saturday? Joe contacted me about picking his up there...

Do I need to RSVP for that event? I haven't seen a thread about it but probably missed it. I have never been to a MEB event before.

Picking mine up. No RSVP Required.

ransil

Bronco Guru

That was the plan.
I will be there to pick up my tank.

no RSVP just show up..

detail can be found at www.earlybroncos.com

location is :
Glory Days Grill
10466 Ridgefield Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23233-3548

should start around noon and finish up at around 4, we will have an area closed off for bronco parking.

70 U150

Loc.
Green Mountains
Is everyone else's warped from the heat of continuous welding?

Attachments

• IMG_6589.jpg
    IMG_6589.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6590.jpg
    IMG_6590.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 57

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Pictures are not giving me a warm feeling right now. Maybe just me but welds and paint look horrible. I'm "trying" to do a quality frame off. Hope I don't need to send mine back.
Also hope these tanks weren't a rush build like it's looking.

70 U150

Loc.
Green Mountains
Pictures are not giving me a warm feeling right now. Maybe just me but welds and paint look horrible. I'm "trying" to do a quality frame off. Hope I don't need to send mine back.
Also hope these tanks weren't a rush build like it's looking.

I expected a better product for the money.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Anybody local have a 23 gallon tank from another vendor to compare with? I went with aero based on research and feedback from builds here. I hope I didn't steer us wrong.

With the flat steel construction I was expecting some warpage, but what you guys show in the pics does seem like a lot. Only real way to prevent that would be with stamped halves and single crimped/welded seam like a factory tank. This would be huge expense for custom tank.

If any of you have serious concerns email me with pics an I will forward to aero next week. I have no issue with you guys contacting them directly but keep me in the loop so I can understand number and severity of issues from entire group.

A few of us are picking up tanks at an event next week. If there are trucks there with another style tank we will compare.

maup

My tank was a little wavy on one side too...I'm not building a show truck and its not really in a place you would notice unless you knew it was there to begin with.

Anyways thanks for the info Ransil I'll be there! unfortunately not in my bronco though.

ransil

Bronco Guru
My tank was a little wavy on one side too...I'm not building a show truck and its not really in a place you would notice unless you knew it was there to begin with.

Anyways thanks for the info Ransil I'll be there! unfortunately not in my bronco though.

Many of us will not be in a bronco, its optional.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Yeah would love to take mine but with this blizzard and another storm next friday going to come down with the f150! Would love to see some other rigs though and talk through some engine and Trans option for mine.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
The one in the center top (marked smog) is for the tank vent to the CC. It has a roll over shut off feature built into it... It comes from Aero with the tank.

The brass fitting close to the edge is an extra port I asked for so I could pump fuel from the 14 gal front tank into the rear tank where the EFI pump was...

I just noticed my EFI tank did not come with the vent for the CC. Should it have (general question, not necessarily to you)? Will this be an issue?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I just noticed my EFI tank did not come with the vent for the CC. Should it have (general question, not necessarily to you)? Will this be an issue?

So there was not one in the zip-loc bag of spare parts?
I suppose you could... just plug the hole if you have a vented cap... Certainly not my 1st choice., I would rather have the tank push out vapors or draw in air through the CC.
Personally, my experience has been without the CC hooked up you will get gas vapors from the vehicle while it is parked. And do not hook up a line directly to the tank > to the CC without the roll-over valve feature. Its like a straight shot of fuel to the engine compartment...

If you call Aero and speak to Jake, tell him your tank did not come with one... I am certain he will put one in the mail to you on their dime. Doug

JSmall

Bronco Guru
So there was not one in the zip-loc bag of spare parts?
I suppose you could... just plug the hole if you have a vented cap... Certainly not my 1st choice., I would rather have the tank push out vapors or draw in air through the CC.
Personally, my experience has been without the CC hooked up you will get gas vapors from the vehicle while it is parked. And do not hook up a line directly to the tank > to the CC without the roll-over valve feature. Its like a straight shot of fuel to the engine compartment...

If you call Aero and speak to Jake, tell him your tank did not come with one... I am certain he will put one in the mail to you on their dime. Doug

My tank does not have the bung welded into it so I would need to cut and weld. I guess I will give them a call.

I did not get any spare parts or a bag of any kind

BDAAE5CD-32B9-4A20-BADB-241D9FB09341_zpsppjrkdeh.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joe473

My tank does not have the bung welded into it so I would need to cut and weld. I guess I will give them a call.

I did not get any spare parts or a bag of any kind

BDAAE5CD-32B9-4A20-BADB-241D9FB09341_zpsppjrkdeh.jpg
Just emailed them on this. I thought it would have been near the fill and fill vent and drivers side unless there is a provision near the supply and return. I will let you guys know what I hear.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

I got response from aero that most Norcal guys don't ask for the "smog" vent and its an extra. I explained our position on requoring to keep our garages from smelling like gas stations. They can provide the check valve for additional cost. I sent Aero another response on that to see what we can work out and will call Jake in the morning to discuss further. I know other tanks have vents but I do not think they have the check valve. I was expecting the vent as a minimum. The rollover protection would be even better.