• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Fuel Tank mass buy for East coast

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
The tanks for trekgirl and myself came today. I have to give the folks at aero two thumbs up on packing. Strapped to a pallet then strapped to each other with a buttload of wrapping plastic.

They are heavier than I expected them to be.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
the tanks arrived today! six total... one each for; myself, dave67fd, slednut10, vin218 and two for fatboy.

here's a couple pictures of course!;D

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 70
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 74
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 77
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
J

Joe473

Fuel tank mass Buy Some Notes

I picked mine up this weekend at the meet and Great in Richmond. All of the guys there seemed satisfied with the tank. Picking it up and feeling it in person they feel like sturdy tanks. The internal baffling seems pretty good and skid plate seems adequate for a driver and weekend off roader. As for warping yes it's there but when hand fabricating a tank from flat sheets it would be difficult to avoid. I do want to hear from Migs on opinion as if this was easy he would be starting up a side business!! Overall I am happy but have a couple of notes for all of you to consider when installing.

-paint the tank. We are in the northeast. Like most vendors you are not getting a show quality paint job on parts.

-Store the tank in a cool dry place until install.

-Read directions on sender and check and doublecheck especially if you have the smaller tank as I do. It will require moving the pivot and maybe a little cutting on the bottom of bracket prior to installing.

-Check your return line on the EFI tanks. Mine is partially blocked with Weld slag based on how they welded the pump support. I will be grinding a small slot at bottom of return line. For future buys I would suggest asking for a 3/8 return and modified pump bracket. I mentioned this issue to Aero.

-Determine your venting. Aero mentions a smog connection in directions this is not present. This is the one Item I am disappointed about but Aero said other buyers said it was not necessary and they eliminated it from the design. I will create a separate post in this thread on this topic.

-Use EFI hose and clamps on your pump or extend EFI hose to near bottom of tank for pick-up. I would use a sock but let's not start that debate here :)

-Flush tank with some acetone just prior to install. It's petty clean and these are not coated as some other vendors but I wouldn't chance it. I would also change fuel filter a couple of times in first few months to avoid any issues.

If you guys have any other notes/hints as we start installing please post up to help others. If anyone has concerns PM me and I will do what I can to help.

Thanks,
Joe

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Fuel tank venting

I looked around and found some possible solutions to venting depending on your preferences. Some of you have stated you have vented(meaning not sealed) gas caps and no charcoal canisters. If that is the case there may be no need for this. My truck stays in an attached garage for the winter. I'm lucky to have an original intact vapor canister and Charcoal canister which keeps my garage and house from smelling like a gas station.

Not a 100% expert so if I state something wrong please jump in for the benefit of others.

If you do have the above or want to retain functionality this the tank will require a vent line and a return line. All of the tanks came with a return. This would be the return from the lowest hose on the vapor canister. My understanding this allows condensed fuel to return to the tank. This line is typically run internally to bottom of tank. similar to a pick-up.

The vent line should be at the highest point of the tank. If it is below the liquid it may not effectively vent. My stock tank does not appear to have any type of rollover valve. This line runs to the highest point of the vapor canister. vapor comes in here and condenses to return or when the engine is started a slight vacuum pulls it through the charcoal canister into the engine t be burned. If Vapor pressure is high enough it pushes through the charcoal can and out the mushroom vent in the engine bay.

I found a few options for rollover Valves that can be installed in the tank. some would require a welded bung and one is a bulkhead fitting. Bulkhead fitting is Doable on the EFI tanks if you have a helper with small hands.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3112/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-90-00340/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-90-02622/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vv/overview/

Search summit for Tanks Inc and click weld in bungs for those.

Another idea I had was to modify the filler vent by welding a 3/8 tube into the 5/8" vent tube. or if you are really lazy a T such as this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-47147/overview/

If going this route I would use something like this for rollover protection. Even though we never had this on our trucks it's an opportunity to make things safer for us and our passengers.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ampaign=3216&gclid=COrimMbU3MoCFQEnHwod3cAP0w

I hope this helps

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
So here is my take on the tanks. If I sound too critical to some, so be it. I deal with high quality products on a daily basis so when I see stuff like this it throws me abit off. I think most of you will at least somewhat agree.

Although I have no quams about the overall strength of the tank, the finish and packing techniques downright suck. (the pics make it look good, why I don't know)
My unit seemed to escape any shipping damage luckily enough (unlike others) but does have some panel warping which I guess is typical?%)
Trying to remove all the stuck on packing tape and labels was a job in itself until i broke out the heat gun. Although a newbie on welding, I know good welds when I see them. Although I'll assume their adequate, far from what should be expected from a "FUEL" tank manufacturer. A QC sticker indicating a passed presure test might no be a bad idea.

And not that the brackets need to be anything other than simply constructed, they look like something maybe fabed by Red Green (although Im sure he probably could have done a better job).
In the end it looks like I'll just need to spend some time cleaning it all up.

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
As someone with a Manufacturing Engineering and Quality background, I'll just say I expected to see a nicer looking product than what I have been seeing here and in pics of one a friend got in Richmond. Rather piss poor finish and welds IMO, not to mention the dents and distortion.

I own one that was made by Northwest Metal Products and it does not have those issues.

I've been following since it has been on my list for many years to make my own tank out of stainless with some custom mods, but I have never got around to it yet.

Some may remember the old "DIY Bronco Gas Tank plans" I made a primitive drawing of in MS Paint so Brian Lackey from CO could post it on his webpage for non CAD users to download. That was 16-17 years or so ago on the EMBL/Bronco.com forums. Yes, it takes a while for some of my projects to reach the top of my list! ;)

JSmall

Bronco Guru
So here is my take on the tanks. If I sound too critical to some, so be it. I deal with high quality products on a daily basis so when I see stuff like this it throws me abit off. I think most of you will at least somewhat agree.

Although I have no quams about the overall strength of the tank, the finish and packing techniques downright suck. (the pics make it look good, why I don't know)
My unit seemed to escape any shipping damage luckily enough (unlike others) but does have some panel warping which I guess is typical?%)
Trying to remove all the stuck on packing tape and labels was a job in itself until i broke out the heat gun. Although a newbie on welding, I know good welds when I see them. Although I'll assume their adequate, far from what should be expected from a "FUEL" tank manufacturer. A QC sticker indicating a passed presure test might no be a bad idea idea.

And not that the brackets need to be anything other than simply constructed, they look like something maybe fabed by Red Green (although Im sure he probably could have done a better job).

I agree!! Is that the carb tank?

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Trying to remove all the stuck on packing tape and labels was a job in itself until i broke out the heat gun. Although a newbie on welding, I know good welds when I see them. Although I'll assume their adequate, far from what should be expected from a "FUEL" tank manufacturer. A QC sticker indicating a passed presure test might no be a bad idea.

Dave, I agree on those Brackets. Welding on my tank is not pretty but yours even in pics looks a little worse. I'll PM you Jakes contact info at Aero tonight. I think he may need to see some of this.

These guys are interested in more business off this board so I am hoping they will do something for you.

Anyone out there able to do a side by side with other vendor 23 gal tanks?! It would help guys in the future. Recent posts show there are a couple of other vendors out of our norm for custom work but how much would a pretty custom tig welded aluminum or stainless tank run?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Recent posts show there are a couple of other vendors out of our norm for custom work but how much would a pretty custom tig welded aluminum or stainless tank run?

I should know within a month. I have to make a stainless one for a friend and will likely make a few while I'm having the parts laser cut.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

I should know within a month. I have to make a stainless one for a friend and will likely make a few while I'm having the parts laser cut.
Wish I had got a chance to talk with you in Richmond. There are a few suppliers out there of hardware, pick-ups, sending units etc to support making your own tank. Many of us in this hobby are perfectionists and agree I will do it myself unless someone out there can do it better and at cost that considers the time it would take to do it myself.

If I had access to a large shear, Bead Roller and good tig I probably would have tried also. Would be great to have a source on the east coast for everyone.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well...I guess I'm leaning a little the other way on this one. For the money I am pretty pleased with the tank I received. sure, I agree it's not show quality, but neither is the price tag....and for the price I feel there's a lot more to it than just several flat panels welded together.
I really like how the edges are rolled instead of just being welded at a sharp corner, and looking inside You can see that the panels overlap.
I also appreciate the reinforcement plates where the mounts go. the tank seems sturdy enough with the gauge of metal used that the four mounts probably would have worked ok welded right to the main panels, but the extra precaution is nice considering the potential extra stresses incurred off road.
A trade off of these extra plates is the amount of warping incurred from all the added welding, kind of hard to avoid on a large flat panel of sheet metal in a cost effective way. not to mention all the welding of the baffles and the added sump in the bottom of mine is welded all around so as to not let the fuel flow past where it's not supposed to.
As to the welds on mine, they don't really look a whole lot worse than some of those I've seen on some of the other aftermarket tanks out there. If not being cnc welded I'm sure we'll find some variables, whether it be from different people welding or good days and bad days... I know I've had plenty of those!;D
I do agree the mounting brackets could be improved a little, even if it's just increasing the thickness of the side gussets for visual improvement.

But of course..... this is one area where I will be bending and welding up my own brackets....mostly cause' I just can't leave things well enough alone!;D;D

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 87
  • photo9.jpg
    photo9.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 94
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 104
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 98
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 102
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 105
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 115
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 102
  • photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 104

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I do agree the mounting brackets could be improved a little, even if it's just increasing the thickness of the side gussets for visual improvement.

But of course..... this is one area where I will be bending and welding up my own brackets....mostly cause' I just can't leave things well enough alone!;D;D

Make plenty of extras! ;D

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Well...I guess I'm leaning a little the other way on this one. For the money I am pretty pleased with the tank I received. sure, I agree it's not show quality, but neither is the price tag....and for the price I feel there's a lot more to it than just several flat panels welded together.
I really like how the edges are rolled instead of just being welded at a sharp corner, and looking inside You can see that the panels overlap.
I also appreciate the reinforcement plates where the mounts go. the tank seems sturdy enough with the gauge of metal used that the four mounts probably would have worked ok welded right to the main panels, but the extra precaution is nice considering the potential extra stresses incurred off road.
A trade off of these extra plates is the amount of warping incurred from all the added welding, kind of hard to avoid on a large flat panel of sheet metal in a cost effective way. not to mention all the welding of the baffles and the added sump in the bottom of mine is welded all around so as to not let the fuel flow past where it's not supposed to.
As to the welds on mine, they don't really look a whole lot worse than some of those I've seen on some of the other aftermarket tanks out there. If not being cnc welded I'm sure we'll find some variables, whether it be from different people welding or good days and bad days... I know I've had plenty of those!;D

Agreed migs and glad i got your overall take on it. I am not at all displeased with the overall construction and strength of the tank, more the little time and money it would take to finish it off with a quality spray job and proper packing techniques. Just going that extra step I'm sure would help better sales.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Agreed migs and glad i got your overall take on it. I am not at all displeased with the overall construction and strength of the tank, more the little time and money it would take to finish it off with a quality spray job and proper packing techniques. Just going that extra step I'm sure would help better sales.
Agree with both of you. An extra 10cents worth of cardboard and tape and the vulnerable tubes would stand a much better chance. Let's face it, everybody knows shippers can be a little rough!

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Being I'm using this for carb, are the feed and return lines for future EFI and do I just blank them off?

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Being I'm using this for carb, are the feed and return lines for future EFI and do I just blank them off?

Use the one labeled feed to go to your fuel pump, that one is a full tube that goes to the bottom of the tank in the sump area. cap the return.
that's what I'll be doing as well since I'm keeping the carb for now. otherwise it's set up for fuel injection utilizing a frame mounted pump.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I picked up mine today but have yet to unpack them. Heck I did not even unload them! The benefits of having an excursion as a parts hauler. That and the fact that it is currently in single digits outside helped me be a bit lazy.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I may actually get my tank unwrapped and installed in the next two months...