• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is There a Trick to Getting Bearings Off 9" Axle Shafts?

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I have some stock 28 spline axles from my 69 that have the stock sealed bearings. Rear diff is apart for a basic cleanup and inspection, and I'm going to change out axle bearings, axle seals, and pinion seal/nut/crush collar.

On the bearing removal, what I usually do is cut the suckers off with a cutoff wheel. It's loud, dirty, and a bit time consuming, but it works fine.

Once they're off, I'll remove the axle retainers for a cleaning, inspection, and a fresh coat of paint before they go back on the axle shaft.

I then use my HF 20 ton press to press the new sealed bearings on.

Is there a trick or a hack that I'm missing out on here? I realize I could take these to the machine shop, but by the time I do that, I would have finished the job already, with no out of pocket expense.

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_6573.jpg
    IMG_6573.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 68

1970 Palmer

You need to remove the crush retainers first.

They are very soft metal, it's easy with a large cold chisel and a two pound hammer. Just drive the chisel into the sleeve in a couple of spots, they expand, and it will fall off the axle.

Then you can press off the old bearing from the axle.

Don't forget to put the bolt retaining plate back on the axle before you press on the new bearings. You need to press the new retainer rings back on in a second step.

John

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, there is a bearing splitter tool that goes on the axle between the bearing and the flange. The bearing splitter rests on the press table. You could probably make do with some steel channel that fits. You tend to need a helper to hold the axle or pump the press. Good luck

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same process, I use a cutoff wheel die grinder to cut all the way down without going through it weakens it and then I use an air chisel to push them off. I cut the outer bearing apart and chisel of the inner race.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I remove the bearing retainer by drilling it 3/4 way through it. Then hit it with BFH and chisel.

Move over to my HF 20 tone press and with a bearing separator, press it off. They tend to load up some pressure and have an initial POP then press right off.

Tim

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I would just buy some new HD 28 spline axles from WildHorses. They’re complete and ready to go. Much greater strength than your current 45+ year old axles. A bit more cost than buying new bearings and paying for pressing, but it sure makes it easy.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_rear_axle

Mark

I'm going to get new axles, but will step up to 31 spline when I do so. Right now, I just need to get it moving under its own power without spending a lot of $ or time, so I'll stay with original axles for the time being.

Thanks

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You need to remove the crush retainers first.

They are very soft metal, it's easy with a large cold chisel and a two pound hammer. Just drive the chisel into the sleeve in a couple of spots, they expand, and it will fall off the axle.

Then you can press off the old bearing from the axle.

Don't forget to put the bolt retaining plate back on the axle before you press on the new bearings. You need to press the new retainer rings back on in a second step.

John

Forgot to mention the retainers. I usually cut them a bit with a cutoff wheel and then split them with a chisel.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Hi, there is a bearing splitter tool that goes on the axle between the bearing and the flange. The bearing splitter rests on the press table. You could probably make do with some steel channel that fits. You tend to need a helper to hold the axle or pump the press. Good luck

I do use the bearing splitter tool in my press. The issue is that the press isn't tall enough to press the bearing off. Works fine getting it back on.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I remove the bearing retainer by drilling it 3/4 way through it. Then hit it with BFH and chisel.

Move over to my HF 20 tone press and with a bearing separator, press it off. They tend to load up some pressure and have an initial POP then press right off.

Tim

I have the HF 20 ton press as well. How in the heck do you configure it to press bearings off axles?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have the HF 20 ton press as well. How in the heck do you configure it to press bearings off axles?

You only need a few inches of travel to get the bearings on/off. They only press onto the last 3-4 inches.

I use a big bearing separator and the press arbors. Shim with some wood if needed.

I've pressed on/off axle bearings for my Bronco a couple of times. Pressed on some for 2 Samurai's last year.

Wish I had pic's The long Bronco axle JUST fits. Any longer and it would be a no go

Tim

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, to press the bearing off you need to split the retainer ring. Then you lower the press bed all the way down so the hub, with the bearing and splitter are near the floor. Next you push the spline end of the axle down. To install the bearing you raise the bed and rest the splitter on the bed. Then you drop the axle with the original retainer, new bearing and ring into the press and press on the axle flange until the bearing and retainer ring are seated. Good luck

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I usually use the cut off wheel on the bearing too, get it thin and hit it with a chisel and hammer to crack the race, then it taps right off.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I ended up just using the cutoff wheel. It went fine; probably quicker than it would have been to set up the press and press them off.

Appreciate all the input.

Scott