• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I've read every thread about gauge lights, but...

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Check out this pic. The 4 gauge lights, odometer, turn signals and brights indicator light all work but there is no light getting to my speedo. Is there a 7th lamp in there that I'm not finding? I pulled out the six that I found and they all worked. Getting really frustrated. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2012-01-28 19.50.41.jpg
    2012-01-28 19.50.41.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 66

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont really know what else it could be but does the dimmer switch work? they may just not be getting full power. So the speedometer is not getting lighted up.

vinson

Loc.
south bend
Just a guess but i would say the center, bottom lamp is the one that gives light to the speedo may be a ground issue when snap in

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
If you have not seen this link it might be something or someone who can help. Hope it works out for you.

classychassisrestoration.com

Scott

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
I swear this is like a poltergeist. Dimmer works perfectly, Fuse box is new with the new Centech harness last year, all of the lamps while holding them lit up brightly. Vinson, would it work while holding it outside the cluster and then shut off when I plug it back in? How do I fix that?

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
I just went and pulled out the lamp 2nd from the top again while the lights were on while looking from the front. The light left the entire top half of the cluster as I pulled it out. Went right back to everything but the speedo on when I put it back in.

Last edited:

ttkelly

Check out this pic. The 4 gauge lights, odometer, turn signals and brights indicator light all work but there is no light getting to my speedo. Is there a 7th lamp in there that I'm not finding? I pulled out the six that I found and they all worked. Getting really frustrated. Any ideas?

You have likely already looked at this but there was some plastic "tape like" stuff at the end of the cardboard tubes where the lights insert. When I dismantled mine this plastic looked like it had oxidized or aged poorly and was not as clear as it likely once was. Maybe this could be related? There is a guy on here who rebuilds these for not much $ maybe he can give some insight.

vinson

Loc.
south bend
should have to be plug in dash to work thats how it is grounded. If you are holding the lamp in hand you would need the ground the metal socket for lamp to light.

ViperTed

If I recall correctly, only 3 bulbs light the entire gauge cluster. Two other bulbs are for turn signal indicators, and the 6th light is your high beam indicator. Did you happen to install one of those gauge overlays (stickers) ???

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I also have been chasing gremlins in my cluster. All lights including blinkers and emergency flashers work, dimmer also works. Once I have the lights on and accelerate the lights dim and the two blinker lights go on. Slow down to idle the lights go back on and the blinker lights go off. It's a bear to troubleshoot the wires from the 68 panel to the cluster so I've accepted the problem.
I've read a bit on the VR and hope someone says that is my problem......Good luck with your challenge Jimanda72

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I also have been chasing gremlins in my cluster. All lights including blinkers and emergency flashers work, dimmer also works. Once I have the lights on and accelerate the lights dim and the two blinker lights go on. Slow down to idle the lights go back on and the blinker lights go off. It's a bear to troubleshoot the wires from the 68 panel to the cluster so I've accepted the problem.
I've read a bit on the VR and hope someone says that is my problem......Good luck with your challenge Jimanda72

The voltage regulator is not your problem. The turn indicators come on because you have a grounding problem at the radiator core support. Is this a fiberglass front end?

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
You have likely already looked at this but there was some plastic "tape like" stuff at the end of the cardboard tubes where the lights insert. When I dismantled mine this plastic looked like it had oxidized or aged poorly and was not as clear as it likely once was. Maybe this could be related? There is a guy on here who rebuilds these for not much $ maybe he can give some insight.

I had to replace the speedo. Bought a refurbished one from Tom's about a year ago and everything has been working perfectly until a few weeks ago. The whole cluster is basically inspected and refurbished. When you get in there really close, looking from the front, you can see how the light gets to the gauges from the outside edge. It seems like the ring that has the speed printed on it is somehow too far forward like the light can't make it around it. I think i need to pull it out and open it up.

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
If I recall correctly, only 3 bulbs light the entire gauge cluster. Two other bulbs are for turn signal indicators, and the 6th light is your high beam indicator. Did you happen to install one of those gauge overlays (stickers) ???

Nope. No gauge overlays, but the refurbished speedo has the speed numbers on a sticker to refresh them.

vinson

Loc.
south bend
Do you have a volt meter if so check the voltage at the lamp socket with lamp out. If your light socket is a 1 wire socket the lamp has 12 volts to it but there is no ground till the socket is in the dash. I'm thinking that this is getting a back feed from something, have you check all your fuses. I think you said that you have a centech wiring harness If my memory severs me their is also a fuse behine the dash an I( think) it goes to dash lights. Just some more things to check

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Do you have a volt meter if so check the voltage at the lamp socket with lamp out. If your light socket is a 1 wire socket the lamp has 12 volts to it but there is no ground till the socket is in the dash. I'm thinking that this is getting a back feed from something, have you check all your fuses. I think you said that you have a centech wiring harness If my memory severs me their is also a fuse behine the dash an I( think) it goes to dash lights. Just some more things to check

Yeah thanks. I'll check that out. I have a volt meter. I need to head to work in a few so I won't be getting to it until tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Keep 'em coming if you have new one :)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I had to replace the speedo. Bought a refurbished one from Tom's about a year ago and everything has been working perfectly until a few weeks ago. The whole cluster is basically inspected and refurbished. When you get in there really close, looking from the front, you can see how the light gets to the gauges from the outside edge. It seems like the ring that has the speed printed on it is somehow too far forward like the light can't make it around it. I think i need to pull it out and open it up.

Just my .02,but I believe there's your prob %)as the speedo glows off the light from the others and when blocked it can't!