• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I've read every thread about gauge lights, but...

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
The voltage regulator is not your problem. The turn indicators come on because you have a grounding problem at the radiator core support. Is this a fiberglass front end?
I don't have a fiberglass fron end, but I did notice when I was working on the battery tray . I would take any advice on how to resolve the grounding problem. THANKS!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't have a fiberglass fron end, but I did notice when I was working on the battery tray . I would take any advice on how to resolve the grounding problem. THANKS!

Try adding a ground wire from the core support to the inner fender near the starter solenoid.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah thanks. I'll check that out. I have a volt meter. I need to head to work in a few so I won't be getting to it until tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Keep 'em coming if you have new one :)

With your Centech harness, each lamp now has it's own ground wire so does not need the cluster to be grounded to work. That's why they work even when the socket is unplugged or the cluster is unbolted.
Still, doubling up on grounding between the cluster and the dashboard (and the dash to the body!) is not a bad idea. Not that this is your issue, but it's a good idea if you haven't already.

Sounds like something's amiss with the dial too. Let us know what you find when you pull it apart. Be interested to hear how it shifted, if it shifted (or bent).

Paul

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
You might want to PM "fallingdown" Jim... 'dude knows these clusters inside-out.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168804

Thanks BronCowie. This is my DD for now, so I guess I have to live with it for a while. With 9mpg, I've been thinking about getting something else as a DD, maybe a 4x4 Ranger or even a Fox Body Mustang. Who knows? Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I never noticed it but it's been this way since I installed the new speedo/odo. I rarely drove at night, so now I'm thinking maybe it's a defect in the speedo/odo that I bought. I will call Tom's and talk to their tech people sometime soon when I can. Next time we see each other I want to take a closer look at your setup.

DirtDonk, Mine seems like it isn't bent/coned enough to allow the light around to the front. I'm thinking it's a defect of some sort. I will for sure let you guys know what's up as soon as I do. Or if any of you local guys know of a local '78 or '79 F150 with a 6 cylinder that's for sale, let me know ;)

OP
OP
JimAndA72

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
With your Centech harness, each lamp now has it's own ground wire so does not need the cluster to be grounded to work. That's why they work even when the socket is unplugged or the cluster is unbolted.
Still, doubling up on grounding between the cluster and the dashboard (and the dash to the body!) is not a bad idea. Not that this is your issue, but it's a good idea if you haven't already.

Sounds like something's amiss with the dial too. Let us know what you find when you pull it apart. Be interested to hear how it shifted, if it shifted (or bent).

Paul

Well, it's fixed. When I had the wiring harness done, I had the dash painted. Was wimbledon white and changed it to black. When the shop put the speedo back together after painting the trim ring black, the cardboard tubes that are supposed to isolate the light from the turn signals and high beams were put on the wrong lamps. I guess it had been a long time since driving it in the dark, because the wiring harness was done over a year ago.

I called Tom's Bronco Parts a couple days after posting this thread because I had gotten the speedo from them. They brainstormed for a while and called me back. Suggested that the tubes were in the wrong place and they were right.

Thanks, TBP! And thanks to everyone on here who tried to help me out. Someone on here suggested removing the driver's side vent duct to get better access to the speedo. That was an excellent idea. I got this done in two hours while drinking beers with the neighbor.

On to the next project....