• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got a '76 and feel ripped off

Rob_B

Loc.
Lynchburg, Virginia
I just bought a 1976 Bronco that I thought was a good deal. Onthe outside it looks emaculate. I knew from the onset that it had a few quirks as all older vehiks do. The frame has a few spots that Im not to worried about, but the guy who sold it to me said the tranny had been completely re-built, the motor was re-built to new, 302 with 351 heads. I test drove it with no problems. Ran great. Shiffted good. The day I decided to buy it, I drove to the DMV to register it, and on the way back the tranny quit. The guy reluctantly said he would have it fixed, since he said the guy who built it said it was still under warranty. Now, it leaks, shifts slow, and the rear end leaks. I'm not going to say what I paid, but I'm sure you all can guess. I guess the moral of the story is, get your classic from a reputable person that restores and not some jack leg mechanic that thinks he does. This is my first attempt at buying a classic and the experience has probably made it my last. :mad:

dubulup

Loc.
Lafayette
so much for happy new year...any pictures of the bronco?

without pictures I can't really decide if any of this really happened.

have it rebuilt...and just take it one step at a time

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Dang man. Sorry you feel ripped off.

All I can tell you is get used to working on it. These old trucks are by no means a "modern" vehicle. They require a little TLC now and then and the patience to get through it. I have no idea what you paid as Broncos go for anywhere from free to $155K. I hope you didn't overpay, but without pics there is no way of knowing.

Hopefully you won't have too many problems with it. Sounds like the tranny needs some adjustment. Guessing it's an auto. As far as the rear leaking it's probably just a pinion seal which is easy enough to replace. If you aren't mechanically inclined you will either learn how or you are going to have to find a good mechanic.

Good luck with it and post up some pics and some details on it. You will find that with the right attitude the guys on this site are more than willing to help out with any questions, and you may find a couple of guys in your area that are willing to lend a hand. Start by filling in your location details in your profile so members know where you are located.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Buying a classic car is not like buying a new car. Sorry you have had problems but it sounds like they can be fixed and the previous owner is willing to help.
Every classic I have bought came with baggage and issues. Things that bothered me but did not bother the previous owner.
Good luck.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
There all rip offs and HUGE cans of worms. Hope you enjoy wrenching!!!!! Just wait until you find out its completly rusted to hell!!!!!

BUT......once you get over all that, and you start to finally understand why you bought a bronco you will soon enjoy all the work and money you spend on that truck. Just keep it running and put a TON of miles on it, and dont let nobody call it a JEEP!

And dont let that guy fix anything else (or should i say screw up anything else) cut your ties with him and learn to fix it yourself. If you can navagate threw this site then you can fix anything on that old bronco you got. Reputable or not anybody can screw anything up just as good as the next guy.

bec

Loc.
Mount Pleasant
if its a auto tranny it mite just be a line is clogged or some thing small find out where he had the work done and take it there your self and ask a lot of questions they will help you out if you dont go in there and act Peed off hint that one of your buddeys are haven a problom with his trans two and your going to send him over there you will get more bees with honey you know what im saying and if you ask a question on here guys will line up to help you out last month when i was home two time guys showed up and helped me out and then i went and met some other guy off here and helped him there some good people on here good luck

70_Steve

Old Guy
I just bought a 1976 Bronco...
Welcome to Classic Broncos and congrats on your new-to-you Bronco!!!

I hope I'm not telling you anything you hadn't already considered... But... Anything short of an Icon or similarly priced Bronco, and you should expect to have problems. You bought a 35 year old vehicle!

Do some searches here for C4's and find how many times guys have rebuilt their own C4's, only to have problems after the install. So don't feel like this is anything out of the ordinary.

Most 9" rears will leak, expecially on a Bronco that's been used for anything more that a mall queen. But it's something that can be fixed.

Hopefully you bought this vehicle for several different reasons, not the least of which is that you enjoy wrenching on them. You will get plenty of opportunities!

And, you've already done the most important part... Registering on this site!!! There is a wealth of help and information available on this site. All you have to do is ask.

Also check out the Mid-Atlantic Early Bronco Club. They might be able to help out up close and personal-like.

Maybe you could change the titile of this thread to "Just got a '76 and now have opportunities I never had before!"

Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
What can you do? The saving grace is that it is a BRONCO and not a JEEP! You will get the bugs worked out. As for the leaky engine, I rebuilt mine and was pretty anal abou the whole process and it leaks as well! :eek:

Still wouldn't trade it for anything. ;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I deal with this stuff all the time and if the trans and rear end leak is the only problem you have you are very luck. The "resto" and "just redone" EBs we see come in from "rebuilders" are way worst than that. Things like metel tape ovr rust holes, wrong ID numbers, bubbles under the new paint, "new" engines that smoke and knock and spray paint over dirt and grease, the stories go on and on.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Expect some leaks on a near 40 year old vehicle. They are easy fixes though.

What works and doesn't with the trans, forward gears, all gears, only when hot or cold, etc? Have you checked the fluid level?

Perry Brady

Loc.
Kennesaw, GA
Hopefully you bought your Bronco for the cool factor and the fun of working on it. As far as leaks, they all will do that. If you need someone to look at it with you, check on here to see who lives by you. They may be able to calm your doubts or help on repair knowledge. You will feel better every time you fill up with gas and someone wants to talk about your ride.

myclsic69

Don't Fret, all the help you need is here in this forum, Oh by the way, even the fresh EB re-builds sometimes have issues, unless you have 155K to invest like the Yahoo thing.
Good luck with your repairs, Keep us posted.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Rob, sorry you ahve run into this but welcome to the club, you are now a member of a super strong brotherhood who will go above and beyond to help you out. I bought mine in Aug, I know the AT needed to be rebuilt, (*only way I could afford a nice rig). If it's running or sitting you smile everythime you go by it. Mine is in the garage and I don't drive it much but I talk to it everyday. I was scared to death after I bought it, even tried to sell it, but all the wonderful guys and gals here talked me off the ledge. Don't recall who told me but one member told me " if your 75% smarter than a watermelon you can work on any EB"

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
There are very few parts to these vehicles, meaning once you get the big pieces working there is very little to go wrong with them.
Sounds like you paid good money, didn't expect to have problems but got some anyway. ;(
On the brighter side, welcome to the site! There is no better resource than the people on this site wo help you take ownership of that damned vehicle, and to let you own it instead of letting it own you.
Post up your pics, jump in and this site will take care of you and the vehicle.
Just stay out of the politics section, it will suck away your soul;)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
hope you are not expecting too much. If he helped get the xmission fixed thats good, just remeber like many have pointed out the standards for oil leaks and oil usage were different in the late sixties and early seventies.

They all leaked fluids from somewhere. They also tended to use a quart of oil every 500 miles too. not run between oil changes without adding oil like vehicles do today. We used to check the ol every time we bought gas back then. they say they dont build them like they use too but whats funny they actually build them much better than they used to. Back in the sixties the dealer would have fallen on the floor laughing if you even asked for an extended warranty over the 12,000 or 12 months it came with. They would have had a coronary if they were forced to give 100,000 miles. These old vehicles pretty much were crap after 100K miles, now they are just broken in good. I have an F250 with 279K. I haven't even replaced the rear brakes. One water pump, had the crappy design of the xmission fixed, one speed sensor, one cat, one muffler, maybe 6 front brake changes, and two sets of spark plugs.

A 70 Bronco would probalby be on its second or even 3rd engines. It would have also had countless rear axle bearings, no telling how many universal joints, 2-3 exhaust systems, maybe even 1-2 extra timing chains, 30 point and plug changes, 10 or so complete brake system rebuilds, maye 2 or 3 carb rebuild kits, it goes on and on. And even though they would be leaking, the xmission (either auto or manual), the xfer case, and the differentials would still be working though unless they had been abused. :)

You might have gotten a good deal.