• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just Venting, but why doesn't anything ever fit right

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I would like to chime in about the windshield seal. Mine does the same thing. It's lifting on both top corners. The people who installed my new glass were convinced it wasn't meant for my vehicle. They glued the two corners down to seal it, but it still looks like ass. And yes, I got it from JBG.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
It never fails. I just replaced the fuel tank valve, new one from JBG, it had a spare port on the top with a plug. The plug hit the floor, stopping it from being installed! I was able to install it upside down, but now the selector points to the wrong tank! I thought it was just me, but a lot of things seem to go this way!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
cgbexec, I'm not going to say it won't fit however you will know as soon as you try to put the glass in, if the corners on the w-stripping don't match up with corners on the glass, IE. you have to stretch the ends to get it on and they won't stay in place, its not going to fit proper so don't waste your time trying to install it, just send it back. Like I said I don't recall where I purchased the slotted version it may have been from LMC all I know is it fit perfect.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Don,
That T-Max boomer box looks like she fitted perfectly on your passenger inner fender...........

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
JBG is selling 2 different types of window gaskets now, the DC brand and one that is USA aftermarket which is cheaper - can anyone say which ones cause the problems - i am getting ready to replace mine in the next month after a paintjob and would like to know.

i've been thinking about getting the new OEM steel hood that JBG is now selling...but this thread is giving me second thoughts!

Louie

Bronco Guru
JBG is selling 2 different types of window gaskets now, the DC brand and one that is USA aftermarket which is cheaper - can anyone say which ones cause the problems - i am getting ready to replace mine in the next month after a paintjob and would like to know.

This issue came up a few months ago so when I ordered my windshield gasket from them I said I wanted the one that fits...and it does. Of course it was the more expensive one.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL

i've been thinking about getting the new OEM steel hood that JBG is now selling...but this thread is giving me second thoughts!

The hood from JBGY was a perfect fit with no modifications. I am going to have a windshield company do the windshield and will tell them to supply their own gasket. That way if it does not fit, I can hold them responsible.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Just got a stainless plate holder/Scott Drake piece. Pleased with it, pain getting the screws in but nice product.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
just FYI,

anybody hear of Binswanger glass? I got my windshield and weatherstrip (no trim slot) from them and they fit beautifully. the cost of parts + install was less than $200

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I've had that same issue with w/s gaskets for at least the last year . I usually buy the top kit & replace all of them & invariably the w/s gasket sucks . To get them over the glass lube them good with Armorall or something & it can help to take a heat gun to the corners . But .. they shouldn't be that much trouble !
JBG lists an OEM kit & a AFT kit . I've bought the AFT kits & they are in Dennis Carpenter packaging ..... So the question is ... WHO makes the OEM !?! :p

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had that same issue with w/s gaskets for at least the last year . I usually buy the top kit & replace all of them & invariably the w/s gasket sucks . To get them over the glass lube them good with Armorall or something & it can help to take a heat gun to the corners . But .. they shouldn't be that much trouble !
JBG lists an OEM kit & a AFT kit . I've bought the AFT kits & they are in Dennis Carpenter packaging ..... So the question is ... WHO makes the OEM !?! :p

Thats the million $ question, I think all of us have had bad experiences with these w/s gaskets, its pot luck if you get one that fits right.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana

It's not JBG that is the problem, they took my Dennis Carpenter gasket back - no questions asked and refunded my card right away.
When I do my daily driver, my local windshield installer said he could get my gasket aftermarket and would guarantee a correct fit.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I spent over an hour grinding lift blocks to fit the U bolts. The blocks are too wide, in fact they taper out in the middle. I could not get the U bolts to fit in the grooves on the axle. These should drop right in!

Strange, I just installed a big bearing yesterday, and put 1 1/2" lift blocks in while I had it apart. Only prob I had was the new u-bolts were a tight fit in the old plate, but they went in with a little persuasion!

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Everything aftermarket Ive installed on my bronco needed some coaxing from a little trimming to throw it away and make my own,the door weatherstripping from two diffrent vendors is too thick and I have to slam the door to get it to close, the carpet holddown kit is a joke, nothing lines up with anything, I think the olny thing that went on with minium hassle was my W.H. delphi ps pump upgrade, olny had to trim the mounting stud, the list goes on forever.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Ok Lets Add One more

I just installed a set of hood shocks, I won't say which vender, but I had to move the overflow bottle for the radiator, since the right piston hit it.

Question just how far fron the inner fender is your overflow bottle???
Mine was about a inch

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if it is just me, or does everyone have the same types of problems.

No matter what I order for my bronco, nothing ever seems to fit right, and allways needs to be modified.

It isn't like the parts I order are from no name companies. It happens with Scott Drake, Dennis Carpenter, or whomever.

Here are the latest things I bought and none of them fit right.

Scott Drakes coolant overflow bottle. The hose wouldn't fit into the bottle, it was at most 1/4 of a inch wide inside the neck. I had to drill it out a ton.

Not sure who makes the door panel, but all the venders get them from the same place. Not only was it made cheep, the Mylar should have been flush, but the chrome trim is just to wide. This caused me to have to cut off at least 1/8 of a inch off the top of the door cups to get them to fit. I really should have trimmed them a little more, but oh well it is done now.

The Arm Rest by Dennis Carpenter are about 1/4 inch smaller tham my old arm rests, and they actually cover part of the door cup on the back side, and the holes were really not spaced right. I got them on, but if you know what to look for you can tell they are just not right.

If it was just a one time thing, I would just chalk it up to aftermarket parts, but it happens everytime I order stuff. None of my weatherstripping all Dennis carpenter stuff, really fits right, and i am afraid to buy a windshield gasket.

I am not mad at any of the venders, as there are not many choises on who they can but parts from

Well sorry about venting, as i did get everything to fit, but none of the stuff is really the way I would like it. But all in all it looks much better

What is the TMAX thingy in the first pic????