• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Knuckle Question

Bronco919

Loc.
Cypress, Tx
Hello everyone,

I am starting to do the chevy disc brake conversion on my 74, and had a question on the knuckles. I went to go remove the drum backing plates and noticed that one of the bolts holding it to the knuckle just turned, so I looked in the back and it had a nut on the end. So I assume the PO must have stripped that hole out, and just put a longer bolt in there to compensate. Now the 2nd part of the question is that after looking at other pictures I've noticed that most knuckles use studs, not bolts. Is this a problem? The bolts are going into the knuckle like it is threaded. Did the PO thread the knuckle?

I found a pic online to help try to explain. (THIS IS NOT MINE, I JUST FOUND IT ONLINE)
KnLftSd.JPG

The one painted has studs coming out. Other does not.

Thanks!

Sam

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Ford uses bolts and the knuckles are threaded from the factory. Chevy used studs and nuts. The black knuckle looks like a Chevy.

OP
OP
B

Bronco919

Loc.
Cypress, Tx
Thanks! That solves that question. For the stripped out ones should I replace the knuckle or is a bolt on the back good enough?

Sam

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can drill out all the holes and tap them for 7/16". That's how mine are done. No problem in years of abuse.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These are my favorite thread repair inserts. Much better than helicoil and very easy. They say you need special tools but I have not used special tools.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/ez.cfm

I have 3/8 that I would send you some but they are coarse not fine.

That website just has the best pictures. You can look up EZ-Lok and find them anywhere.