• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED tail light question

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
Can anyone tell me why I would want to get this:

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/LED_Tail_Light_System/Bronco_Performance_Lights

(its a custom board that plugs in to the bulb socket with an LED - $150)

rather than this:
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/led-bulb-kit-for-exterior-lights-70-77-early-ford-bronco-new

(LED bulbs + "load equalizers" which I am guessing is a fancy term for resistor - $100)

I want to buy whatever is best but don't want to waste my $ assuming the more expensive part is better

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Rocker. Sorry I just now saw your post. Glad you got something coming though. Seems like a nice kit.
Let us know how it works for sure.

The one we sell is a very high quality USA made product by Dakota Digital, with their normal Lifetime Warranty.
Not that you have to replace something like that very often, but it's nice to know you don't have to pay for it again anyway!

I'd especially be interested in what you think about the backup lamp performance.
I've used higher output backup bulbs for years and love 'em.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
thanks for the reply, Paul. Will update when they show up and if my travel schedule ever gives me a chance to install it.

Sorry I didnt end up going with your product -- y'all will probably be getting plenty of my $ soon though as I have been emailing one of your guys about an NV3550 swap

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No problem at all. Just glad you're checking things out and making educated purchases.
Happy with anything we can help with of course, but you getting what you want and/or need is the key.

And what do you mean you're letting a little thing like travel get in the way? Are you telling me that just because you're out of town you can't put some little light bulbs in? Heck, get the wife, the kids, the next-door neighbor, your best drinking buddies, whoever, to put them in while you're away. Simple logistics I tell ya.
What could possibly go wrong? %)

Just kidding of course. Look forward to hearing more when you get time to work on the Bronco. Heck, I haven't worked meaningfully on mine since forever!

Paul

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
Lol, no wife or kids and noone is allowed in my garage when im gone (id come home to an empty keg, its happened). I do find time on weekends but ive got a stack of parts that need installing, I tend to buy more before ever touching the previous shipment. Need to take a vacation

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Archangel

I have been tossing around the idea of building my own LED taillights probably going to order the parts and pieces here soon, looking at something similar to the new mustang design with a ring of lights around the outside and some high output lights in the center for the brakes and turn signals.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Can anyone tell me why I would want to get this:

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/LED_Tail_Light_System/Bronco_Performance_Lights

(its a custom board that plugs in to the bulb socket with an LED - $150)

rather than this:
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/led-bulb-kit-for-exterior-lights-70-77-early-ford-bronco-new

(LED bulbs + "load equalizers" which I am guessing is a fancy term for resistor - $100)

I want to buy whatever is best but don't want to waste my $ assuming the more expensive part is better

Thanks

The ones from WildHorses (from what I'm reading on their site) have a voltage regulator to get consistent brightness from the LED, no matter what voltage the system is at. It also seems to have the resistance built into it to draw enough current to allow the stock flasher to work correctly, instead of the seperate "load equalizers".

75RedRanger

Loc.
East Bay
Hey Rockerz71,

How did the install go on the Tom's option? I purchased the same kit and was looking for wisdom before installing.

How do they perform?

Thanks!

ransil

Bronco Guru
This is a 2-3 year old thread but I will throw my .02 to the Op question .

the WH board is done right , most likely uses a buck boost circuit and or PWM to drive the LED.
The Toms as someone stated load equalizer is a fancy name for a resistor.

Price comparison I would buy the WH if I was buying cause for $50 more I would get it done right, but i build boards and know the cost of this stuff and that is a lot, but factoring in engineering costs and first run batches they do need to get a pay back.

However cheap ass runs standard bulbs that always work and cost $2 or less

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would skip the either of the LEDs.

If you actually looked at the housing and the lens, it is a tuned reflector and an engineered Fresnel lens. The taillight is engineered to work as a package all around the light pattern of an 1157 bulb. All too many of the LED tail lights are directional and ignor the light engineering that went into the tail light. Add in poor quality, boards that are not sealed enough to avoid moisture issues, the lack of a load that requires Band-Aid fixes to get working turn signals again.

Want an upgrade bulb? Go from an 1157 to an 1157LL. Done and cheap.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I piece mind together from ebay single bulbs for a lot less. I do support the vendors for Bronco unique parts.
Same here. I did have to go with digital flasher relays in addition to the LED bulbs.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I installed these, and wrapped some foil inside the housing as a reflector

and they are twice as bright as a stock bulb
2a91d5961d67a598629903bc58fe6ea6.jpg

Already tossed the 1157 package
Haven't installed these for the backup yet

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed these, and wrapped some foil inside the housing as a reflector

and they are twice as bright as a stock bulb