• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lift kits

luvmy76

Loc.
Mosul, Iraq
I am currently in Iraq and I am trying to get some things together waiting for me at home when i get back to begin a full speed dive into my first bronco project. I have an all origional 76 explorer with 75,000 original miles and its in great friggin shape. With its current condition and originality i have decided to leave it original and restore it to as new a condition as possible. But I want to be able to play so I want to lift it just a bit. Since I have the money due to my current situation I want to do this thing right, or at least not so cheap as to have crap. I am hoping that some of you guys could suggest a good 2.5-3" kit or a company who makes one. It doesnt have to be the best but I am looking for something good. Any Suggestions?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This isn't so much of a suggestion of what to get, but how to filter the information you are about to get.

Since you didn't say how you plan to use your rig, it gets a little hard give suggestions.

Rock crawler suspension is soft all around. Ride is great, highway manors fair. Payload capicity sucks. You will get a lot of suggestions for this. But if your idea of wheeling is loading up a bunch of gear you may not be happy with it sagging under the load.

Brewbro21

I think that the best way to approach this question is to just tell you some of the better (IMO) companies that carry the products that most people use.

Look into Wild Horses, BC Broncos, or Cage offroad. You'll then be able to decide how you want to go about lifting it.

OP
OP
L

luvmy76

Loc.
Mosul, Iraq
Well when at home I live in the south and what I want to use it for is mostly to play in the mud and for the time being it will be my daily driver. Ride is critical for comfort, but I definatly wont being doing any heavy rock crawling with this one. That project is yet to come, right now i just want to play in the mud and small hills off-road that the south has to offer and get from A-B. I hope that helps some. I am new at this thing and so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the help. :eek:

OP
OP
L

luvmy76

Loc.
Mosul, Iraq
If I purchase a 3.5" kit to redo the suspension and I am not looking to clear any tires bigger than say a 33-35 is there any real reason to lift the body as well ? And if not what type of bushings are the most durable to replace the stock bushings?

302fix

Contributor
I went with the 3.5 system from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard and really like it.

If I were going to do it again i'd either do Jeffs or Wild Horses system 9.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/35.asp
It's more $ and work than Jeffs but had I done it the first time I wouldn't be thinking about doing it over.

I'd recommend the 3.5 over the 2.5 just because if you're changing all that stuff anyway why not just get the little extra.

Also I didn't do anything with the body lift. My body bushings and frame rails were in good shape so I didn't see a need.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have to recommend the WH 1 inch BL lift integrated body mounts. Very nice. It was done just a month ago and all I can say is I should have dont it 6 yrs ago when I put the suspenion on. The BL provided an excellent ride vs the 29 yr old original mounts and just enough extra clearance. A 2.5 inch Suspension lift and the 1 in BL will easily fit 33s. My 31s look almost small with this setup. 33s would have been prefect, but i didnt want to regear ($$) or lose any additional torque by going to bigger meats on the 3.55 stock gears. Best of luck on your decision. I bought my lift from Bronco Parts (Sacramento)...as I hear it, they are going out of business (retiring), so you may find a good deal on quality springs there. Cant go wrong with BC Broncos springs, I hear they provide a nice ride and good flex. Cage also has been reported to be quality. Good luck with your decision. I would spend the extra $$ on Bilstein or Rancho 9000 shocks. I have the Rancho 5000s and they are OK but pretty firm. Handles great though.

kcmacg

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
First THANKYOU.
I have a duff 3.5" it clears 35-14.50's on 15 x 10 in rims, no problem, but i do not recommend it, it is very very stiff. I can load every one in it and it wont sag though! I have the WH 1" integated body lift on order have heard good things about it, will let you know when i get it
Stay safe

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I got the Stage 10 Kit from Toms, they had the best price for a quality kit, since my suspension was stock from 1970, I wanted a complete kit, and this kit comes with everything you need. I am running 35" Boggers with plenty of clearance, and no body lift. The ride is awesome, several of my buddies have commented and said it rides better than their daily driver.... Just wanted to put my two cents in...

Oh, stay cool and drink lots of H20..I just got back from that neck of the woods last week. I lasted 45 min before I had to start my Bronco when I got home....and only lasted 2 days before I pulled the transmission for a complete overhaul that would have been in works, but the kit is back ordered... :(
http://tomsbroncoparts.net/cgi-bin/tomsbroncoparts/6970.html?id=af6DhRAw

MIDEVIL214

I have the duff 3.5 coils and they ride great. The old design from 5 or 10 years ago was not as forgiving. It makes a big difference with the arms and proper shock location.

D ROCK

I have a 3.5" skyjacker. Don't know much about it because it came on a parts bronco.

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
Thank you for your service in Iraq.

Is your rig cut?

I love my BC Broncos lift, it rides great and I get all the flex I can use.

As an aside, Chuck's son Jason, who pretty much runs BC Broncos, is a
fellow soldier who is going to Iraq in September.

Andrew