• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Liquid Sound Insulation Installation

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Ahhh - got any suggestions? I've already got the paint but am open to better alternatives.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Ok, been working late and not getting too much done but hopefully this weekend can make some progress. ...was going to post the photo but apparently the forum has forgotten my contributer status. Let me figure out what's up and I'll post the photo.

Here's the link to the huge thread on the hot rod forum about mixing your own insulation. I remember a couple of post about alternatives to the latex paint. Not going to go back through 16 pages to find it though!

So what I've learned so far... lay the first coat thin but after that you really have to slop the stuff on. Brushing or rolling it like you would regular paint thins it out too much and this stuff needs to end up a few millimeters thick at least. Basically, if you go over with the roller more than once or twice, it lifts the stuff back up and spreads it out too much. So, tonight i'll be trying again with the roller to get it on thick. I do like the texture the roller is giving though. Still want to spray when i do the top but for the floor (which will be covered up) the roller is good.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Oh, i guess you have to use the advance mode. maybe next time i'll read the directions!

Attachments

• front full coat.jpg
    front full coat.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 203

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
www.quietcar.com

Used this in my wifes Escape. Went on like a thick Latex paint and dried looking like a bedliner type material. It made her rig sound a bunch better.

Danny128

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to use Peel and Seal from Lowes on the floor of my sleeper. VERY cheap but make sure to use a heat gun to apply it. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3226

I've used Peel and Seal before and second the fact that you'll need a heat gun to apply it. It conforms to flat/curved surfaces very well and you don't have to worry about it unsticking... once it's down, it's down.

Some people have had issues with an asphault-like smell, especially in hot weather. I lived in Atlanta with no a/c and never noticed a smell, even when the temps were 95+, but wanted to let you know that a faint smell could be noticed.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'm going to use Peel and Seal from Lowes on the floor of my sleeper. VERY cheap but make sure to use a heat gun to apply it. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3226

Allen - check out Quick Roof at Home Depot instead of the Peel N Seal. Quick Roof uses a butyl based backing vs the tar stuff that Peel N Seal uses. Peel N Seal will stink like tar when it gets hot. If you're sold on this try sealing the edges with some aluminum tape to reduce the amount of stinkage.

Alien - have you tried a textured roller? Seems like it might work better - just an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

The pic is the edead. I've been using a medium/coarse roller for the last two coats but it's still a pain. Spraying has to be the way to go. Oh, and I don't think 1 gal. is going to do it. Getting ready to order another one so that takes the cost up to $100 for 2 gal vs. LS's $150 for 2.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
The pic is the edead. I've been using a medium/coarse roller for the last two coats but it's still a pain. Spraying has to be the way to go. Oh, and I don't think 1 gal. is going to do it. Getting ready to order another one so that takes the cost up to $100 for 2 gal vs. LS's $150 for 2.

Alien, are you putting it on to thick? eDesigns website said 1 gal would cover 50 sq ft. That should be the entire floor pan of the EB and then some...

I'm guess I'm almost as excited as you waiting for the results. Too bad you weren't closer so we could be doing this in my shop...

What did you pay for the spray gun?

JRED

I just sprayed LS under my bronco it was easy and looks great.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

How big of a compressor did you use?

That was going to be my question.

Just hot done pulling the driver's seat and remaining carpet. Not good news in the floor board there. Will post pics as soon as I get back from dinner.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Here's what I found on the driver's side. Small holes all the way across the seam. Not sure why it's raised in the middle but looks like it should be easy enough to cut out and replace.

Attachments

• _DSC2603.jpg
    _DSC2603.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 111

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
Here's what I found on the driver's side. Small holes all the way across the seam. Not sure why it's raised in the middle but looks like it should be easy enough to cut out and replace.

It looks like that center hump is a body mount position and the rest of the floor pan has bowed down over that point. Hopefully one of the Gurus will put in his 2 cents......

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'd take a real close look at that body mount on the frame. If the metal has fatigued and started to bow around it, its time for a new floor pan and possibly some work to the body mount

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

It is bowed around the body mount. Is that just from rusting and weakening of the metal? I have new body mounts to put in and I can get a floor panel for that side easy enough. Just would need help welding it in. Would that solve it or is there potentially a bigger issue?