• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Liquid Sound Insulation Installation

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
Can anybody tell me if this floor panel looks good. Not sure how thick they normally are.

Link

They look like the ones from the Bronco Graveyard. Maybe they get them from this same guy? 18 ga is .0478 thick, which is pretty good. I don't know if the stock sheet metal was thicker? Doubt it.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

They look like the ones from the Bronco Graveyard. Maybe they get them from this same guy? 18 ga is .0478 thick, which is pretty good. I don't know if the stock sheet metal was thicker? Doubt it.

Thanks. Got it ordered so I guess that will delay this project a little bit but better to do it right! Now to find somebody local with a spot welder who works for beer and pizza!

buckintone

Loc.
Carlsbad
I decided to stick with the POR15. I laid down the first coat just on the spots where there was already rust. About a half hour later, I went back and put a coat over the whole section. It probably needs one more but that will have to happen tomorrow.

Heads up! Por 15 doesn't stick to paint or itself when it's cured either

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Alien - I heard back from JRED - he said he used a 2 tank rigid compressor. I did some research and I think this is the 5 gallon compressor.

I've got an 8 gallon compressor - I might give it a shot and see how it sprays.

Did you decide to spray or roll?

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Been busy last few days so not too much time to work on it. The front floor pan is a bit of a hold up. The panel is on the way then I have to get it put in. Still planning to spray over what I've already done for the last coat. Good to know though about the compressor size. My little 5 gal craftsman should do ok then. We'll find out soon as the floor is fixed.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Youre going to want to spray at around 70pst and 5cfm. If your compressor is up to the task, spray away.

I read that its best to wait until its 70* out though. That puts a serious damper on my plans.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Been a few busy days but finally got to do a little more tonight. I've built up a good base on most all of the floor and got the first coat in the doors. Took it out for a quick test drive and it seems to be about the same without the carpet as it was before with the carpet. I think by the time it's done and new carpet put in, it should be pretty nice. So now I have to get the driver's side floor replaced then start to finish everything up. Oh, and It's definitely going to take the 2nd gallon to do it right.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
alien - did you spray with your 5gallon compressor? Any issues or tips for me?

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
Been a few busy days but finally got to do a little more tonight. I've built up a good base on most all of the floor and got the first coat in the doors. Took it out for a quick test drive and it seems to be about the same without the carpet as it was before with the carpet. I think by the time it's done and new carpet put in, it should be pretty nice. So now I have to get the driver's side floor replaced then start to finish everything up. Oh, and It's definitely going to take the 2nd gallon to do it right.

Pictures, pictures, pictures........please.....whine, whine, whine....

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Heus, still brushing. Don't think I'm going to spray until the floor board gets taken care of. Took it by AutoFab today to get it looked at. Looks like the support underneath is also shot. And thanks to the PO who added (welded on) rock rails then rolled the kick panels over them, it's going to be a whole just to get the body mount out of there. So looks like I'm going to be dropping it off with them for a few days to pull off the rails, add bolt plates to them and replace the floor, support and all the body mounts. Big pain but I want to get it done right. Hopefully I'll be dropping the truck off with them next week.

Prosys, not much new really to show but here's a couple for you. It really is an improvement all ready. First time driving today on the highway since i started and even without the carpet... sounded better! Most of the little creaks and clacks are gone now. Just need the last coats I'm going to spray on to help isolate from the road noise.

Attachments

• frontx1.jpg
    frontx1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 125
  • texture.jpg
    texture.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 116

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Fuzzy roller. I like the look alot.

Nice - I think I'm going to just roll mine on too - no sense in spraying it and masking everything off if you're getting good results with just a roller.

Are you going to do the insides of your doors too? I plan on doing my door skins and the backs of my door panels and rear quarter panels too.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
Heus, still brushing. Don't think I'm going to spray until the floor board gets taken care of. Took it by AutoFab today to get it looked at. Looks like the support underneath is also shot. And thanks to the PO who added (welded on) rock rails then rolled the kick panels over them, it's going to be a whole just to get the body mount out of there. So looks like I'm going to be dropping it off with them for a few days to pull off the rails, add bolt plates to them and replace the floor, support and all the body mounts. Big pain but I want to get it done right. Hopefully I'll be dropping the truck off with them next week.

Prosys, not much new really to show but here's a couple for you. It really is an improvement all ready. First time driving today on the highway since i started and even without the carpet... sounded better! Most of the little creaks and clacks are gone now. Just need the last coats I'm going to spray on to help isolate from the road noise.

Yea, you wouldn't believe the amount of "mickey mouse: shit I'm fining on mine...where do these people come from?

It really looks good. Can't wait to do mine......to many things on the list ahead of it though, like front drive shaft, front spindle bearings, oh, and maybe brakes. Being able to stop is good......

What kind of beer is that in the picture? I don't recognize the can?

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

I like the look of the roller but I have put 6 coats on that passenger floor pan and it's just now getting to be close to the right thickness. I really think spraying is going to be the way to go to most easily build up the propper coverage. I have to get the top off and pull the roll cage so I can get the truck over to autofab. When I do that, I'll be spraying the inside of the top. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Prosys, I spend all my beer money on Bronco parts so that's just a Mt Dew!

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
I like the look of the roller but I have put 6 coats on that passenger floor pan and it's just now getting to be close to the right thickness. I really think spraying is going to be the way to go to most easily build up the propper coverage. I have to get the top off and pull the roll cage so I can get the truck over to autofab. When I do that, I'll be spraying the inside of the top. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Prosys, I spend all my beer money on Bronco parts so that's just a Mt Dew!

It will be good to know how bad the over spray is when you do the top. That'll will be the deciding point for me on whether I spray the floor or roller it. Masking that whole area would be a pain.

And beer always helps lubricate any job......

And hurry and get your rig ready for Mountain Toppers Poker Run in mid-May.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'm going to start mine tomorrow. At first I was going to roll, then I convinced myself to spray and then looking at your recent results I was back to rolling but now you're saying I should spray.... oh man!

I like the idea of the roller - easier to use and less cleanup but I dont want to have to do 6 coats either. Decisions decisions!!

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
I'm going to start mine tomorrow. At first I was going to roll, then I convinced myself to spray and then looking at your recent results I was back to rolling but now you're saying I should spray.... oh man!

I like the idea of the roller - easier to use and less cleanup but I dont want to have to do 6 coats either. Decisions decisions!!

What about a different roller type?
Might be a dumb idea, but you could always ask someone at Lowes or Home Depot which roller type would put "paint" on thicker?

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

I'm hoping to spray the top this weekend if I can get a bribe a couple of buddies to help me get it off and fliped over. The problem is the stuff is just so thick it just kind of globs on with the roller. Then when you try to roll it out the roller picks it back up and spreads it out too much. I really think spraying will work better but hopefully I'll have a better answer this weekend. My second gallon is supposed to get delivered this afternoon so should be good to go.

What is this poker run?