• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

locking truck into 4 wheel drive

smct04

Loc.
Hays, Kansas
I have had my '75 bronco for eleven years. As Kansas does not get much snow or ice, I vary rarely have to use the four wheel drive. Because of this, I always forget this very answer...does it matter if I lock in my hubs first or shift my transfer case? Here's the deal...every year, I call my dad and ask my husband. Every year, my dad explains it and my husband says it does not matter. No one ever explains it in a way that makes sense so that it sticks with me. Can one of you help out? I understand a lot about my truck. I do not understand this!%)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure if it really matters or not either but i always turn my hubs in first - especially If I know 4x4 is imminent .
Only As a matter of interest ; Ford Recommends locking your hubs in { don't shift transfer case out of 2 hi } for 10 miles - per MONTH .

Nothing Special

If you're stopped it really doesn't matter.

However, for convenience it's often best to lock the hubs before you start off, even if you don't need 4WD right away (but think you might later). Leave the transfer case in 2WD and drive like that until you need 4WD. At that point you can shift into 4WD even without stopping the vehicle. It is best if you are coasting in a straight line, not accelerating, braking or turning. I like to push the clutch in (or shift an auto into neutral) before shifting into 4WD.

Having said that, I will warn that it works better if your transfer case shifts pretty easily, and old cases with old linkages don't always. If it takes a lot of force to shift your transfer case it can be pretty easy to overshoot and end up in the wrong gear. I had an old Jeep CJ5 that would usually end up with the transfer case in neutral when I tried to shift from 4WD to 2WD, then I had to stop before I could shift back into 2WD.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure if it really matters or not either but i always turn my hubs in first - especially If I know 4x4 is imminent .
Only As a matter of interest ; Ford Recommends locking your hubs in { don't shift transfer case out of 2 hi } for 10 miles - per MONTH .

That is to keep the seals wet with oil so that they don't dry out then crack and leak.

As long as you don't have a locking front differential the only problem with driving on dry pavement in 2wd with the hubs locked is slightly worse gas mileage.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your trying to make it complicated and its not. When your season turns to expected bad weather conditions lock your front wheel hubs and don't unlock them again until you get a week or more of good weather or spring arrives which ever comes first. It will not hurt your truck to leave the hubs locked in indefinitely as long as your truck is properly greased and maintained.

To lock your hubs get out of the truck and turn your hubs to the lock position. you need to do both sides. Now get in your truck and very slowly move the truck a few feet so the springs inside the hubs allow the parts inside to line up and slide in place to lock the hubs.

Since your truck is 1975 you have a J shifter. You can shift in and out of 4-wd while running down the road as slow to moderate speeds. While driving down a straight section of road and driving in 2wd let off on the gas and grab the shifter and pull straight back on the shifter move it back and then slide it across towards your right leg. it has to go back first and then over.

If the shifter is really stiff and doesnt want to move, blip the gas peddle while your rolling and make the shift as you come off the gas. The little gas acceleration will push the shifter out or into gear as you put pressure on the shift lever.

To get back into 2-wd just reverse the directions. Grab the shift lever and push it over to the passengers side of the truck and then push the lever forward towards the dash as you blip the gas. Just remember over then Forward. Coasting down the strait road Transmission in gear not in neutral and not accelerating.

That's the simple in and out of 4wd high range. If you push forward with the shifter instead of over and forward, you will shift the transfercase into neutral and not into 2wd. If you get into neutral pull back on the shifter to get the transfer case back into high range.

To get in and out of 4wd low range is far more difficult and you will need a large area to practice especially if you have an automatic transmission.

jray

Short answer is no, it doesn't matter which you do first. Like most, if I think it will be needed I go ahead and lock the hubs first. Another important note is to lock the hubs once a month for a few miles to keep everything lubed. I personally wouldn't lock them for the entire season since it does affect mileage slightly and then you also have a lot of other moving parts to wear.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2, it doesn't matter. But I also lock my hubs before I need it, not only so I can shift from the drivers seat, but because I snow plow. My rims and hubs can get covered in snow and then it is a pain in the ---. One silly thing I've said to myself which is worth remembering is Clock / Lock. Turning the knob clockwise will lock the hub in. I wouldn't leave it locked in all winter. Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Doesn't matter. But when I lived in Kansas I would lock in the hubs at the first sign of bad weather, unlocking them only if I was taking a long highway trip or winter was over. I had a parking spot that I could only get into in 4WD, so I would use 4WD for 20 feet at a time.