• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Longer wheel studs

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I have a 76 with front disc brakes and need some longer wheel studs.

I did the search and found the part number from NAPA of 641-1624. These are really the same length of thread as the oriental studs although they are 1/4 longer overall. It has a tapered end with no threads.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has found a longer stud that is truly longer in the threads. The original studs have 2 inches of thread and I want to find at least 1/4 longer bolt with threads to the very end. 1/2 inch would be even better.

Thanks

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Check with Chuck and Jason at BC. I believe they ran into an issue with needing longer studs on their rear disc kit when people were running thicker than stock/typical axle flanges.
They suggest 80's CJ 7 front studs. Don't know if that is longer than stock or if they came up with another application.
You can always get some from a Speed Shop. They will have long black ones for racing in many different lengths.

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Thanks I will call them.

One problem is the shoulder length, its .90625, I am assuming because it goes through the rotor and then the hub.

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I installed the heim joint kit from ruff stuff, and got rid of my inverted Y linkage. The heim hits the tire, so I need to space it out. I want to put longer studs in so I have enough thread bite on my lug nuts when I use a spacer.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Uh, me thinks the problem lies in the back spacing of your rims??? I ran into the same problem with a 76' disc D44 on my "Stertch" rig. Now do you space the front and the rears???? I bought new rims with 3" BS. Good luck!!;D;D

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Yes , the backspace on the wheels could be different and solve the problem, but its not an option right now.

Here are some pictures of the original stud next to the NAPA.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 43

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've run into similar problems before. I don't know where I got this listing of Dorman wheel studs, but it might be of some help to you.

Good Luck

Attachments

• 149-154_Sec10_Part4.pdf
    673.2 KB · Views: 42

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Any parts store will have the 80's CJ-7 front studs. You could put one next to your eb studs and see if its longer.

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Ok, thanks

The 80's CJ7 uses a shorter stud than a Bronco, according to the NAPA website.

Past Miner….I checked the P/N and 610-277 is also one i have now, and it won't work. All the rest won't work, I appreciate the inf.

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
g
Go to the Dorman website, basically every stud ever made laid out by size Past_miner has it right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It sounds like you're planning to use the minimum of spacer thickness? That usually means the thin cheap aluminum ones. That what you're working with?
If so, see if you can find "good" ones, or at least some that are better than most. Since they're so inexpensive to begin with, maybe this gives you some leeway to pay more to get more. I don't know if that's possible, but some of the cheap ones are known for cracking under stress.
Not sure what your intended uses are for the Bronco, but if heavy use or off-roading or larger tires are involved, you might want to just step right up to the really expensive spacers and forget the longer studs.

The expensive ones, as you may already be aware, use the stock studs to hold the spacer only. This spacer type has it's own studs for the wheels, so length is not an issue even with a 1.5" or larger spacer.

The downside (aside from price) is that they are usually thicker than you need. Starting at probably an inch and going up from there. We sell the 1.25" model: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum_Wheel_Spacers_Kit_Blue for just such a scenario.

It's large enough to clear the largest typical rod-end, even with fairly offset wheels. Without the need to match them in the rear if you don't want to.
Some do use all four to keep things consistent, but most only use 2 at the front. A slightly wider track in the front does not seem to cause any issues.

I realize 80 bucks is more than 10 bucks, but it's still a lot less than most wheels, so it works out for most.

Paul

u10072

Bronco Guru
Dorman 619-277 is the pn that I use and are the longest I have found commercially made and fit the hub/rotors properly

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran into this a few yrs back and looked at Dorman, Napa, Summit and everything else with no luck, I went to a machine shop and had them make me some. The stock is in the middle of this pic

Attachments

• 1976 Bronco Buildup 021.jpg
    1976 Bronco Buildup 021.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 43

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't trust the sandwich spacers...seen too many of those setups fail or at least continually work loose. I'm running a 1" version of the billet spacers noted above, to clear the 1-ton TREs on our '76 EB. I put them on all four corners...

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I tried a 1/4 inch spacer and it wasn't enough, but I believe a 1/2 inch would do it.

If I use a 3 inch stud with a 1/2 inch spacer, I should end up with 1 5/8 inches of thread. My lug nuts are just over 1 1/2 inches deep…..1.640 inches. I will have to trim some to make them work.

The other issue (or not) is the shoulder length of the 3 inch stud. Its a lot shorter than the original measurement of about 7/8.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
ARP should have, BUT I'd advise aginst using just a spacer the slides over your studs.
You will want at least a 1 1/4 spacer, that way you can bolt it on.
With 1 1/4 you have to trim your wheel studs but it's the smallest one that bolts on.

OP
OP
F

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
If you are talking about the bolt on spacers, the thinnest I have found is 1 inch.

What's so bad about the slide on over the studs style? If its quality aluminum, why would it be inferior to a bolt on style spacer also made of aluminum?

What failures have you experienced?

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
at one time I was using two washers on each stud to keep from knocking the balancing weights off.. then I used 1/4 spacers,, then I went to over the knuckle and got some 2inch spacers. I did not have trouble from any of the these.. Just double check once in awhile..