• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loose Rocker Arm??

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
whooo hoooo, Looks like the lifter is down, if you hand crank it over it will come up and you might have a better chance of getting a hold of it.
oh yeah the curved part I was talking about is on the cam side.

OP
OP
mstark

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
So how do I hand crank it over with everything still intact in that area? I know you have to turn the cam... well I'll figure it out.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
So how do I hand crank it over with everything still intact in that area? I know you have to turn the cam... well I'll figure it out.
breaker bar and socket on the harmonic balancer end of the crank pully

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pull all of the spark plugs and put a socket wrench on the front crankshaft bolt. Make sure the tranny or transfer case is in neutral %)

Looks good...making headway. :cool:

OP
OP
mstark

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
I just rotated the fan... hope I didn't hurt anything. So i got it out and it is way indented with a hole in the middle of it. So now I'm ready to make a parts run, can you guys tell me what all I need? On my list so far is a push rod, and I figure I might as well replace the rocker arm, and a lifter. Anything else I should get besides gaskets?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
I just rotated the fan... hope I didn't hurt anything. So i got it out and it is way indented with a hole in the middle of it. So now I'm ready to make a parts run, can you guys tell me what all I need? On my list so far is a push rod, and I figure I might as well replace the rocker arm, and a lifter. Anything else I should get besides gaskets?
can you get a pic of the cam side of the lifter

OP
OP
mstark

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
here ya go skiddy

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 57

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
ok, it isn't curved on the cam side... so does this indicate valve guide seals?
that's good that means that lifter and the rest are more than likely in good shape.
on the other side of the lifter is that a chip or something I am seeing towards the outer side?

OP
OP
mstark

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
Skiddy said:
that's good that means that lifter and the rest are more than likely in good shape.
on the other side of the lifter is that a chip or something I am seeing towards the outer side?

The lifter isn't chipped, I'm gonna go pull a few more lifters and check them out.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
The lifter isn't chipped, I'm gonna go pull a few more lifters and check them out.
Make sure you put them back in the same holes;)

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
be sure to prime the lifter with oil too. get a glass jar, fill it with oil, and then push down on the lifter (while it is submerged in oil) to prime it. you might also want to get some engine lube to put on the side of the lifter that touches the cam.

OP
OP
mstark

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
Thanks for the tips, ok I pulled the first lifter on the same side, and the indention on the pushrod side is not as deep as the indention on the last one. Other than that there's no differences really

brian72

Early Bronco Student
need to pick up some
Permatex Gasket Maker: Ultra Black Silicone; Power Bead; - it has a trigger on it. This makes it so much easier to installed intake back on. You could get the squeeze tube or the caulk gun type...this is just easier to use.

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
good call on the intake stuff. make sure to clean the intake well and get some gasket remover stuff. clean it well and take your time.

Installing the intake can be tricky. The gasket sometimes likes to "sandwhich" out sometimes. take your time with this....reading a manual will help. also be sure to torque the intkae bolts in the correct sequence.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
OK thanks guys, so do I need to replace this lifter?
no, doesn't sound like anything is wrong with it. It will pump up and down right.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
after you clean the mounting area and before you install the gasket - buy and put on the back of the gasket some ti-tac permantex stuff. Basically it will adhere the gasket to the engine. It has a short dry time..gotta be quick about it. This will help with the movement of the gasket.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mstark said:
Yup, so where should I go from here?
OK the lifters are good then, now you will have to move to the valve spring and guide that's the only thing left that I can think of that could had bent the pushrod.