• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost Oil Pressure - ITS FIXED! Update on page 2

matts460

Cam and piston walls get lubed from oil splash. Its common for stock oil pump hex drive shafts to break! also common for dizzy drive gear roll pin to break too. These parts are weak for a reason. if you use hi psi oil pump and or hi viscosity oil your probly gonna have this happen. I have had several reman distributors have larger hole in drive gear for the roll pin than the hole in dizzy shaft so the gear could wiggle back and forth and eventually break the roll pin. I have also have had a oil pump drive shaft get stuck in the distributor female end like a half stripped bolt in a socket this wear happened after running 20w/50 oil. This is why they make heavy duty oil pump drive shafts for hipo motor builds buy em from Ford racing parts performance catalogs etc.

OP
OP
77RHINO

77RHINO

Thanks guys, I haven't pulled off the filter yet but when I do I will cut it open and see what that looks like. Hopefully those parts will arrive today and I can make some more progress on it!

OP
OP
77RHINO

77RHINO

I got the engine back together over the weekend, gave plenty of time for some sealant to cure, and pulled a valve cover to make sure the oil made it to the top. I then primed it 3-4 times for a few minutes each, once the pressure got up to about 60. I got it started, but sounded like garbage and wouldn't stay running unless I was giving it lots of gas and the timing sounded pretty rough. I pulled the dizzy out and advanced it one more tooth and it fired off like a champ! I think the oil drive and the cam gear were off just enough that it needed to rotate around a bit before being able to slide into the proper spot. I've driven it 5 times now at varying speeds, and its keeping 70 PSI oil pressure most of the time, sometimes looks like its at 60 when coasting and warmed up. It seems I lucked out on this mishap and no major damage occurred! Thank ya'll for all the input and help!

Ryan

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
When that rusty bolt breaks off in some awful location remember this day - you DO get lucky sometimes! Great news!