• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost Oil Pressure

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
So I was driving around today and I was sitting at a red light, I noticed that my Oil pressure gauge on the stock cluster, was not working, buried as if the truck was not running. The light went green and I got up to speed, looked at the gauge and it was slowly creeping back to normal position. Until today, it always was in the center of the gauge with the truck running. I looked under the hood and checked to see if the sender was slipping off the stud, it was tight. Anyone have any ideas?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
the sender could be going bad, or the oil pump could be failing.

I know a friend who had a oil pump fail on a 5.0 Mustang and they are pretty much the same as a bronco pump. My oil pressure sender on my Lightning failed and did the same thing as your truck.

I would park it untill you can either borrow a mechanical guage, or get it towed to a mechanic and get it checked out.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Mine did the same thing. I replaced the sender and all is OK. I would replace or put a mechanical on it and try it only for a short time until you see oil pressure.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Befor you go driveing put a gage on and ck. it. I have seen a few fail and it can cost a motor good luck.:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
Tman

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
Ok, so if it isn't the sender, where is the oil pump located...in the pan? Pardon my ingnorance, I'm still learning here.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
If you have 0 or very little oil pressure you will hear every valve and lifter rattle. Bad noises, If no noise I would say it is the sender.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
my farm Eb always had low pressure and smoked, finally I swapped engines and still had low pressure, swapped senders, still low, put a mech on it and have great pressure. My gauge must be fubar.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
if you totally lose pressure, they engine will make a noticeable racket. I'd test with a gauge that's known to be good before ya worry too much.