• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Low Budget Power Steering

dale crenshaw

Hi Bronco Fans. I've had my 69 U15 for about 15 years and finally got around to adding power steering using the xterra box with the grand cherokee pitman shaft listed in one of the threads here. Used a 97 nissan pickup pump with the Nissan remote reservoir.
For hoses, the pressure fitting in the box was a 16mm fitting. Got an adaptor to 3/8 flare from my local hydraulic repair shop. On the pump, it was a 16mm banjo fitting. Got an adaptor from Jegs via Amazon to 3/8 flare. Then I got two 3/8 flare to 3/8. Female pipe adaptors. (3 /8 fnpt). This allowed me swivels on each end for desired hose alignment. Then I was able to use a 24" 3/8 male pipe thread hydraulic hose off the shelf from the local farm & home store. Total with all the pieces was probably about the same as a custom power steering hose, but now the section that would wear out or burst is inexpensive and readily available.
The return hose was simply clamp on lower grade oil resistant hose.
Used my stock pitman arm.
For the pump, I used the front stock stamped sheet metal bracket along with a shop fabbed spacer and a shop fabbed bracket that mounted to the pump and uses the curved belt adjustment slot in the front bracket. ( I believe that this front bracket fit the ford round pump). My choice of pump was a long story and not very interesting, but it worked out well for space and maintained a little "feel" that I really like.
I also added an inline wire mesh filter in the return line since these parts all came from the local U-PULL-IT, and I didn't know anything about them. I may remove after it's ran for while, don't know yet
If I had known how much difference this makes, it would have been my second update, right behind disc brakes with a dual master cylinder. Did it for under $200. Thanks to those who posted the information about the xterra steering gear.
I haven't figured out how to post pictures, sorry about that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s a great report! Thanks for passing on the confirming information.
Very glad you were able to use information here as a good resource for your truck.

And I hear you about power steering! I had avoided it for many years just because I didn’t want the extra stuff under the hood and thought the manual steering was just fine. But then when I spent a week off road in another rig with power steering I was hooked.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
good job on figuring out a Cheap way to get P/S on your Bronco.
I TOO GOT MOST OF MY PARTS FROM THE WRECKING YARD. & mYHOSE WAS JUST MADE At a shop that makes Hyd hoses. & I believe the Bracket for the pump was the only new part I bought .. ''WILD HORSES'' My gear box I happen to find from another forum that someone was pulling off to add a crawling box. SO I bought it for $65.00. Several trips to the wrecking yard & I was fixed up.
I did my install about 10 years ago & As I did mine I was thinking what every I'm young enough to steer this Bronco .
But It sure didn't take many trips for myself to fall completely in LOVE WITH POWER STEERING on my BRONCO.
...........so If YOU Don't have Power Steering then GET SOME.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Become a contributor.. it donates to the site, keeps it rolling along Well worth it..