• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LOWERING my Bronco

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bitch'nBronco said:
Could you maybe cut the front end out of a 2 wd Ford truck from the same year and splice it into your frame? Then put some airbags on it?
Just look at Big Oley if you want to see that (minus the airbags).

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I decided to keep my '68 red half cab a four wheeler. I have a Dana 44 with disc brakes and '77 PS setup, so that will upgrade my '68. Everyone told me that I would be insane to play around with that original of a truck. I did find a couple of other Broncos and one of them (2nd owner '66) is going to be a good candidate for my street rod project. I have a pretty decent halfcab that needs minor metal repair, so I would feel better chopping/raking that one 3". As soon as the guys get my basement finished, I can move everything back out of the garage and get a rolling frame started. The weather here in SD should be warmer soon, so that will help too. Thanks to everyone for all your ideas. I will be going with the Mustang II front end. I haven't decided about the rear yet though. I do happen to have a brand new IRS from a Lincoln I could use.....Hmmmmmm....

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
Gary, that is a great idea of using the 30 and sleeving it, I think
You retain all the stock steering and such that way, and you already have most everything you need to do it.
That should get you plenty of room as the diff to oil pan and crossmember is the only issue isn't it?

You still only have limited room between the housing and the frame. Stock bumpstops are only a few inches from touching at rest. I am contemplating something similar and have run into the same issues. Thinking about notching the frame but it is real close to the motor mounts. I want to keep 4 wheel drive but go pretty low. Trying to put more sport and less utility into an SUV I guess. My Explorer aluminum pan looks to be an inch or so shorter than the stock V8 pan.

Anybody have more info on the lowered bronco in the photo at the bronco rally? Looks like he still has a front diff and is sitting pretty low.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
4 link it, put some coil overs, and re gear it, so you can suprise some people at the stop lights. I'd keep the Ford 9, solid axel and you cant go wrong. But if you really wanted to go for some extra kudos get one of those jaguar rea ends thats fully polished with the brake caliburs next to the diff

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few pics...

I have attached a few pics from a friend. He has already started his Bronco street rod project. What I have in mind is something similiar, but with a few of my own original ideas. He is using a Mustang II front end with the 9" notched. It sits with a 3" rake and also has the halfcab chopped 3". I can't wait to see what he does next. He does have a few parts for sale to help fund this project, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 73_Chasis.jpg
    73_Chasis.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 735
  • 73_dropped_004.jpg
    73_dropped_004.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,211
  • DSC00655.JPG
    DSC00655.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 753

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Dude, that is killer!!! That could be a pretty fun project to do, you'll get a little hatin from some members but I think a lot of them will appreciate it. As long as you don't put a chevy motor in it! Don't let your friend either! This would be a perfect time to shimmy in a 4.6 or a 5.4 new mod motor.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was a VERY rusted Wisconsin Bronco to start with, so I figured that wasn't so bad. Both front fenders and rear quarters had to be replaced, as well as most of the floor. I have talked with several guys that loved the idea. At first I thought for sure there would be WAY more negative replies, but there are quite a few that thought it was cool to do something "different". I can't wait to start on the old '66 I found. After our basement is finished (SOON!), the garage is mine!

Last edited:

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
------here's a nice one,,,,,hated it a first even though I'm only a stocker height wise & not a boulder crawler,,,,,but I like it more every time I look at it,,,,,,,I personally like mine at stock height for excellent handling with the capabilty to keep going over the curb when the pavement ends,,,,

Anyone else notice the Bronco with tracks in the picture behind it? I'd like to see those 2 parked next to each other.

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
Guys, I have thought a lowered EB was a great idea for a long time. I am currently working with Fat Man Fabrications on a Mustang II weld in kit for EBs. I am getting them the required measurments and deciding how I want to proceed with this project. I will probably retain the 5 on 5.5 EB bolt pattern (this is an option on the Fat Man kits) so I can just use a stock EB rearend. Look for an article in BD in the distant future (probably next year). I am tossing around ideas like shaved side glass, cutting the top to make a "targa" style convertable top, and shaving the bumpers and putting in roll pans (this will be tough and may not happen since the frame comes down below the body line so much). I may not do any of these ideas, but we will see.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking a folding convertible style top myself. J.P.L. has a kit that runs about $1750. That is the cheapest I have found so far. That is with the optional PS, tubular A-arms, and a sway bar. Just reference the '73 Bronco street rod.
The roll pan idea can be done also. It does require a little trim work on the ends of the frame though. I have a few pics of that option somewhere also. I have some really cool ideas for a front end valance also. One idea is to use an old '66 Thunderbird bumper as a valance/spoiler. I have drawn it up and it would also require some trim work but it looks so much more different than a stock Bronco front end. Hopefully when this snow melts (and I have some garage space), I will be able to stop dreaming and get to work on some of this.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
They're directional, and they are going the wrong way. Rear wheels are just on the wrong sides. But it is pretty cool, makes me wish I had dropped mine

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I drove to southern Illinois for the red halfcab in my gallery. I was going to drop this truck. After I brought it home and started driving it around town, everyone convinced me it was way too nice to cut up. My only regret is I still wish it was UNCUT, but oh well. I found a '66 locally (see below) that was a second owner truck. The guy bought it from his uncle, who was the original owner. It is a little rough, but perfect for what I have in mind. Now I just have to get started.....soon.

Attachments

• BRONCO-1.jpg
    BRONCO-1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 233

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
I have attached a few pics from a friend. He has already started his Bronco street rod project. What I have in mind is something similiar, but with a few of my own original ideas. He is using a Mustang II front end with the 9" notched. It sits with a 3" rake and also has the halfcab chopped 3". I can't wait to see what he does next. He does have a few parts for sale to help fund this project, if anyone is interested.

i'd like to see a better pic of his side view mirrors. looks like he eliminated the wing windows.