• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5ODR2 angle of the dangle 3 degrees ?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
First, sorry for all the M5ODR2 posts......I'm almost done with the conversion.....Well clutch is next so many a couple more.

I'm in the process of building my crossmember and it's time to figure out the angle of the dangle. As I recall the Bronco trans has like 3 degrees slop towards the rear? I did put an angle finder on the Explorer EFI intake badge plate before I took everything apart and it read 3 degrees.

Is the collective opinion to put the T-case as close to the floor as possible or factor in a slop on the engine.

Right now I have the T-case (which is cocked to the middle holes on the AA to D20 clocking ring) 1/2 inch from the floor brace it's now under due to the extra length. Angle finder on the intake (same spot) shows 4 degrees. Should I be more worried about D-shaft angles or the engine slope? How close is too close to the floor?

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t have an exact answer, but curious what others say. I would worry more about the driveshaft angle than the engine, except for a few things.
A fuel injected engine couldn’t care less about a couple of degrees variation either way. Oiling is not affected, fuel delivery is not affected, or anything that I know of internally.

What is greatly affected however are two other aspects under the hood. Cooling fan to radiator shroud clearance, and cylinder head to firewall clearance.
You’ll find out very quickly if your transmission is too low when the cylinder head touches the sheet metal!
So with your current 4° reading, take a peek under the hood at the driver side cylinder head where it is closest to the firewall and see what you find.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I don’t have an exact answer, but curious what others say. I would worry more about the driveshaft angle than the engine, except for a few things.
A fuel injected engine couldn’t care less about a couple of degrees variation either way. Oiling is not affected, fuel delivery is not affected, or anything that I know of internally.

What is greatly affected however are two other aspects under the hood. Cooling fan to radiator shroud clearance, and cylinder head to firewall clearance.
You’ll find out very quickly if your transmission is too low when the cylinder head touches the sheet metal!
So with your current 4° reading, take a peek under the hood at the driver side cylinder head where it is closest to the firewall and see what you find.
Already took a peek and things seem to clear at 4 and 3 degrees. Fan, radiator, heads, headers etc. At 3 the T-case is 3/16 from the floor brace. The brace is the issue. It's 1/2 inch thick and the T-case was in front of it with the stock 3 speed.

After getting the old T-case out I found the bushings were shot on the crossmember. The T-case and trans had been moving around some as there were shiny spots so my 3 degree measurement before teardown was for sure compromised.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well shot the difference. Went 3.5 degrees which gives just over 1/4 inch clearance.

Time will tell

Tim

Big Slim

well the bolt holes in the frame that held the original crossmember are at an angle. the cross member looks flat. i would guess if you match that angle, or use those holes, it would get you the same angle as factory. i think the closer you can get to match the pinion angle the better it will be. working on mine at the moment too. interested to see the results.