• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

mini Starter

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
Has anyone using a mini Starter. Does it have enough torque for high comp. engine?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am using a late model motorcraft mini starter with the solenoid. It has plenty of torque to turn my 9.5:1 motor over.

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
I run one on my 351w work's great and I can remove it without having to remove headers. Had to remove headers with old starter to get it off.

OP
OP
mtnkraus

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
Where did you get the motorcraft mini starter or do you remember the year and model?

I just finished pull the starter.. getting good at this 3 one over the last few years.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I run one and it turns the 400 no problem. Also no header issues, it is a snap to take out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Where did you get the motorcraft mini starter or do you remember the year and model?

I just finished pull the starter.. getting good at this 3 one over the last few years.

It came from an early 90's mustang.

OP
OP
mtnkraus

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
thanks I was looking on the web looks like 93-95 Mustang was one of the pick I was looking at. I am running 10.5 to 1 engine and for some reason I keep running thru starter. i thinking heat is causing some so if I can run a mini with a shield. i hope it will hope. I think these Mustangs ran a higher comp.
Thanks again I miss being out in Colorado (Evergreen for 15 years)

dnash

Loc.
The home of Ford
Mine is only on a stock 289 but it is easily the best upgrade I have made. (I haven't made a lot) Doesn't kill my battery everytime I have another problem keeping me from starting and starts almost instantly the rest of the time. More torque, fewer amps, quieter, and lighter. Very much recommended.

I went with the Summit branded version.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
11:1 compression 351W with over 200 PSI cranking compression. On a hot restart it does what I call a rattle start. It starts as a diesel, detonating at first before running on the spark plugs. My 5-6 year old mini gear reduction starter works just fine even with a weak battery.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think there are more affordable starters that will do everything the mean greens will do. contact Ray, he is about the best there is regarding alternators, bateries and starters.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
93 cobra stater is what i used and it was a 11:1 mid 80's sbf and it had no problems, i can get part numbers monday if any on wants

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After having two stock remans fail in fairly short order, I went to a mini from Alterstart for my 400 (~10.2:1). That was several years ago and its been great. Not real fond of the 'Chrysler Crank' sound it makes..but it sure gets the job done.

dirtracer2a

I use a mini starter on my 408 windsor and it has 13.6 to 1 compression and no alternator and no dead battery problems because of the starter. Used a regular starter for 2 nights and it drained the battery after 1 start. I only paid $50 for my starter new and it had a warranty.

brewchief

I'm using a gear reduction late model starter that I got from JBG,it works good, motor isn't high compression(92 5.0) but the battery is in the back and the stock starter didn't exactly crank over super fast.

Brewchief;D

OP
OP
mtnkraus

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I tring a 93ish mustang starter and going to change my ground strap to the starter bolt hoping this will help the starters life.