• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moab help

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My grandson will have about two hours this Saturday afternoon in Moab on his way to a job in California. What is a quick trail he can do in his old Toyota pickup just to say he did one? Anyone going to be there by chance?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If he’s brave, hells revenge, easily doable in a stock toy pickup but needs experience or some good help to not get into trouble, not a hard trail by our standards but easy to get into trouble. Alone, not much experience? Long Canyon, gives a trail needing 4 low but no lockers, awesome views and a nice drive down Pot Ash Road so he gets the full experience, just no slick rock driving. For slick rock he can do the first 3/4 mile of Poison Spider to the switch backs, it is on Pot Ash Road.

Or…. If he can get an entry permit into Arches, drive through the first portion, see some awesome arches and at balanced rock turn left and drive back to the highway on willow springs road. This is enough to blow most peoples mind and way doable, need 4 low but easy, I’ve done it several times in my dually. There are arches, dinosaur tracks, slick rock and sand on the route.

PS: give him my number and I can help him if he wants it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'll also put out there fins n things. It's a fun roller coaster ride without terrifying cliffs. It is made up of 3 parts so he can ditch early if he is running late. Pretty easy stuff that feels pretty impressive. About the only trail rash you should get out of that one is bumper/hitch drag.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Any of those 3 are probably the best for a "Moab experience" but not get into trouble, yet get some good pics too!

I think pics of being on slick rock is what makes Moab... MOAB! :)

knack

Contributor
X2 on fins n things for a taste of the experience. Can get through that one pretty quickly. Two hours isn't much time if you haven't been there before and don't know your way around.

Here's a photo of it - I think. IMG_0971.JPG

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Another vote for Fins N Things. There are several different parts of FNTs where you can choose a section or bail out easily. Once in the Sand Flats park you can also do Baby Lions Back which is short and fun. Also an easy trail to an interesting area is Gemini Bridges.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Big thank you to Yeller for being a remote tour guide for my grandson today. I could feel him smiling as he recapped his day for me on the phone. Before he got to Moab he called me about this Bronco blowing past him about 85 mph. Who’s going to fess up?

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 25

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
He got an entry pass into Arches, gave him a tour of the highlights, then hit Willow Springs Road with a detour to Eye of the Whale Arch. I love the trails in Arches, low traffic, get some slick rock, sand, hill climbs, washes, dinosaur tracks, arches and a different perspective that 98% of the park visitors never see. I had him detour to Hwy 128 from Fruita CO so he got the full effect of canyons, spires and cliff walls too. Makes for a very visually stimulating afternoon