• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More EFI Help Please!

WSM29

So I consider these questions "finish line" questions, but they are pretty confusing to me. I stayed up late last night reading and I want to make sure I have this correct. Once again Ill recap my setup. 93 Mustang roller block, Edelbrock Heads, Explorer Upper and Lower intakes. Running the RJM Harness with a A9P Computer. Keeping the older V belt system.

The intake is not tapped for the ACT Sensor, but I have read I can install this next to the MAF sensor in the intake tube? Thoughts?

I have the complete explorer upper and lower, but I am going to be using the mustang fuel rails and injectors due to the explorer rails having no return line. I also have the mustang EGR and TB. I have read that the elbow on the explorer will cause issues and to get rid of it. How does this effect my BC broncos throttle cable? Can I just bolt the Mustang TB up to the explorer intake with them being 5mm different in sizing? What about the EGR delete kit? Which one do I need for which setup? ?:? Lots of options and I am tried of being dangerous with my money! Is the Ron Morris themacator eliminator kit what I need?

Does the computer need the water temp gauge/ oil sending unit to function properly or can I just use my manual gauges that I ran on my older motor?

Any other hidden gems I should be aware of with this setup? I am in the process of getting the correct 50 oz damper to run with my V Belts, along with the correct 50z 164 tooth flywheel.

I wouldn't mind chatting with someone on the phone if someones got 10-15 minutes to spare today. Just want to clarify these issues.

dclack

I can answer a couple for you...

The intake is not tapped for the ACT Sensor, but I have read I can install this next to the MAF sensor in the intake tube? Thoughts? Yes. You can see it in the intake in this picture.

picture.php

Does the computer need the water temp gauge/ oil sending unit to function properly or can I just use my manual gauges that I ran on my older motor? No, unless you are talking about the water temp sensor that is in the coolant tubes to your heater box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Any reason why pics wont show? Just giving me an X. Thanks for the update on the sending units.

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Access denied!

This could be due to one of several reasons:
You're a operating a address harvester, data miner, link crawler, misbehaved crawler, rank checker, or site grabber.
You're using a misbehaved download accelerator that pre-fetches pages its shouldn't.
You're using a proxy that prefetches pages it shouldn't.
If you're a human and believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by emailing the administrator.

You must include your name and the date and time of this error in order to process your request. Requests without this information will be ignored.

wth??

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
ACT - You can install it in the intake tube.. You honestly can just lay it on the lower intake, it will perform nearly the same. I always tap the #5 runner with a 3/8" NPT tap and put it there (factory).

BC Broncos cable is meant for Mustang type throttle body if I'm not mistaken, lose the elbow totally. The 5mm difference really won't matter as long as the intake tube fits on it. I'd recommend against deleting EGR. It will throw a code and give you slightly less fuel economy.

Computer doesn't connect to stock gauge senders, so run your mechanical if you desire.

dclack

Access denied!

You're a operating a address harvester, data miner, link crawler, misbehaved crawler, rank checker, or site grabber.
You're using a misbehaved download accelerator that pre-fetches pages its shouldn't.
If you're a human and believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by emailing the administrator.

You must include your name and the date and time of this error in order to process your request. Requests without this information will be ignored.

wth??

Weird! I normally host pics on Photobucket, but I can't access it from work so I posted it to FTE.

Bferrari

Access denied!

wth??

When this comes up hit your browser's refresh and it will load. You could also hit the F5 key and it should refresh

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

I just read the tech article on converting the explorer TB to fit the throttle cable by using the mustang parts. Seems easy enough. Some have said to scrape the elbow and just bolt the Explorer TB right to the intake. With the RJM harness having the EGR delete already apart of the harness I shouldn't have any issues removing EGR. Anyone confirm the success with this?

trentturner27

i deleted egr on mine. rjm harness explorer upper and tb. mine does not throw a code that turns on check engine light. when i ran the self test before startup i think there were some egr codes i think they are called soft codes but it runs great and no check engine light.

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Trent- did you do a mustang TB conversion? If not how did you run your throttle cable?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Since you bought the RJM harness with the egr delete you can just delete it and it only gives the soft codes as mentioned above. I'm not home right now but I think the RJM harness has a 90 degree connector for the temperature sender the computer needs the ECT (engine coolant temperature), I could be wrong, usually am more than I'm right. I used the Explorer TB w/the BC throttle cable, had to kinda fab a mount but it wasn't bad.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
1) RJM harness is not wired for EGR. You can add it but you'll need some pins to do it. RJM harness does have resistor bridge for EVP so you will only get soft codes for EGR. You will need to block the EGR passage somewhere to keep the hot gasses off the back of the TB.

2) ECM doesn't care about about oil/temp gauge senders. Those wires are only in the RJM harness to make things neat.

3) Use either mustang or explorer TB. You don't need to convert explorer TB to mustang lever in order to use BC cable kit. I have done this 4 or 5 times now. I have never installed the elbow.

4) ACT sensor can go into intake tube.

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Thanks for the rutter steer Viper. My upper is off getting power coated so I'll have to wait to see how I will be able to block the passage. Is this something I can make a plate/gasket for? With using the mustang TB, the smaller sized TB isn't going to cause any issues? Were there any mods nessasary when you used the BC kit on the explorer TB? Thanks again!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There should be enough meat around the inside diameter of the mustang TB to seal to the upper opening. Don't think there would be any other possible issues.

You can block the passage with a plate between the TB and the upper, with a plug in the upper or lower round hole, or at the intake gaskets with the plug that comes with the gaskets.

Mods weren't absolutely required for the BC kit and explorer TB but I did some anyway to make it better. Welded the BC lever to the TB shaft and installed a ball stud through both levers. The wheel makes the throttle less sensitive off idle. http://www.alpineclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=168

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Just what I was looking for, thanks Viper. I'll have to mock both of them up and see which one is gonna be the easier option right now. I know I'll loose HP with the mustang TB, but right now I just wanna hear it run before I can't touch it for 10 months! Last part I need to figure out will be all the vacuum lines and what not. I found a diagram that had most of the upper intake ports blocked, just need to figure out where my brake vacuum will go into and lines from the valve covers.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
With a fairly stock engine, you won't lose any HP with a 55mm throttle body from the Mustang.. You might actually GAIN some throttle response.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just what I was looking for, thanks Viper. I'll have to mock both of them up and see which one is gonna be the easier option right now. I know I'll loose HP with the mustang TB, but right now I just wanna hear it run before I can't touch it for 10 months! Last part I need to figure out will be all the vacuum lines and what not. I found a diagram that had most of the upper intake ports blocked, just need to figure out where my brake vacuum will go into and lines from the valve covers.

You need vacuum for fuel pressure regulator, PCV valve and brake booster. C4 or C6 needs vac. Tap and plug everything else.

Use EFI type valve covers. One will have a vent port off the oil fill tube. Connect that vent to the vent tube on the mustang TB.