• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More fun on Papitt's farm...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Ok I'm going tell what I'm up to.. Been kind if setting on this for a bit.
.It'll probably go south like most of my projects. But I need a little more room in my shop.SO .
....So I'm going to add onto my shop. . Maybe if I get a little more room I can work on my El RoJo Diablo Bronco.
... So wife & I have had a bunch of good Luck & really a lot of bad luck this spring. Suffered 5 Hail Storms. Bad... Well not totally I need a new roof. & I WANT TO put on a metal roof so I'll be able to die with this roof .. I'm almost 66 not long. & I THINK SWAPPING TO A METAL ROOF WILL cost me about 3 to 4K. BAD IS some of those spring storms were so bad .. I have a really nasty leak in my big TV ROOM. 4 Places off one beam from the side of the Fireplace..
...NOT SURE YET How they'll view this leak.
... So our garage has always been a storage Vault for the last 15years.
Lets say I was single about 15 to 20 years ago .. I had a nice big very clean house for a Bachelor. I use to laugh when ladys came into my house. They all said my how mush FREE SPACE you have ... I'm thinking you ain't putting your shit in here.
.... So along comes 1999 .. Good Bad & the Ugly !!!
... Son Harold Dee 25 was killed in a Jeep crash. May 2nd .. So I GOT A BUNCH OF STUFF from his place .
... THEN 2 MORE Uncles passed away in June just to add to Issues. Got a sweet little Library from the past from Harold Pittman .an uncle..
... Then July 2nd my Mother passed away unexpected at 82 .. So I got every thing that she had in her house. Wow lots of stuff. Great grand mothers Powells dresser. Great Grand Morris Tiger wood dresser with Mirror unbroken & org still intact. & lots of other family items ..Suddenly my house is about full.
..... THEN THAT Wonderful day in my life July 31st .. MIMI & I jump the BROOM. Man did she bring a load of stuff... I'll not say crap because it's her family items just like mine.. SO..HENCE ...
... Our garage is full of stuff...
... So back to the 2nd story.. The Ceiling fell in in the garage. due to more wet times. Not really a problem .. Easy fix.. Ya right. But we just need the stuff out of the garage .. & Put up new Plywood for the ceiling in the garage.
& were good to go.
....& MIMI at 66 can have a garage to park her New Red Durango in .
SHOP... It's a 4by40.
.... So about 3 months ago I bought A 40 FT BOX TRAILER FOR STORAGE..
I have a man coming to look at the build sight tomorrow evening ...for the 2nd time. I have done a large piece of the work myself. & He said let him look at it again & get me a 2nd BID. I never got his 1st bid. But he builds metal buildings & He has a large boom Crain about 2 miles from my house.
.. He'll place that 40ft trailer in place beside my shop .. And leave a 12 or maybe 15 ft gap between trailer & my shop .
... Then he's going to extend the roof from my shop about another 40 ft. So my shop will be 72 wide plus 8 storage van By 40 deep.
....that Box van will be set on the ground & I plan to pour the gap between old shop & Box van with concrete. basically another 40 X 12 r 15.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... That was getting mighty long so I'll gap it.
... Any way I sold that piece of property I owned in town. Really I gave it away. But I got rid of it.. It was the last 5 ac. I owned in town. But I'm down with the city.. They keep imposing new rules on old property .. It was getting scary. City wants it clean for the College .. & My property was within about 4 blocks.
... So I'm not expecting to spend a bunch on my shop. But I'm going to MIMI inside for the winter . Into a garage .. & I happen to get a little addition to my shop..
... I wish I'd got pictures of the Jungle I had to take out to put this into place.... But I've been having Camera & New Phone problems .
Along with working 46 + hours a week at 66 & Also running this 150ac farm. & Then this home work due to the storms. & Mimi is getting down. About all she can do is work her 40 hr. I'm doing all the house work. So it ain't very clean. But she's hurting.
.. I probably need to back off on some of my projects but .. But that where the Fun is.

amax

Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun. The added storage space sounds like that it is way overdue. I have a 60x40 insulated metal building for my shop and I would be comfortable if it was twice that size. Now you've got me thinking a shop expansion may be in my future. I hope your project goes smoothly for you and you get the space that you need.
We too were hit hard by all of the storms and had some substantial damage to our roof. I actually got to watch a tornado swirling over the top of our property it eventually touched down about 3 miles away from the house.

ransil

Bronco Guru
get rid of your shit, make money and you don't need to spend money on storage for shit you wont use. :cool:

sriha

get rid of your shit, make money and you don't need to spend money on storage for shit you wont use. :cool:

Might not be the easiest thing to do but probably the right thing to do. Ask the kids/relatives if there is anything they want from your collection and then start getting rid of the things they don't want. Letting someone else use something is better than letting it sit getting full of cobwebs and mouse turds. Plus it takes a burden off of your kids when you do pass of going through stuff. My dad has a big collection that my mom has no idea what to do with if he would pass and my sister wouldn't either so it would be up to me to go through his shop and figure out what is valuable or that could be used and what can be sold or trashed.

Having a bigger shop is nice but probably would be come another collection site.

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
That's one thing I'm pretty good at is getting rid of something I will not need/never use. I look at it as paying to store stuff as a waste of money that could be going into my projects.

PaveBronco

Seems like the more space you have, the more things you end up with.
I’m just up the road, PM me if you need any help moving some of your ‘crap’….

67RT

Bronco Guru
Hire an estate sale professional. You can probably negotiate 30-35% take on their end and just hand over the stuff. Thin the herd. It is a subconscious stressor that you don't realize until it is gone..

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Everybody buys something at a garage or yard sale. All you have to do is put the junk into the garage or out in the yard and always negotiate prices.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
After selling the farm and losing the 2400sf shop, it felt like the end of the world. It didn't take long to realize I didn't need, or use have the shit I had accumulated. Much simper now, BUT, I keep looking for property again with some space. A vicious cycle! %)

You are right Pa PITT, that can be where the fun is!

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Have fun with the projects PA, its important to stay busy. When folks quit it seems like its not long before they are gone......

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Wow not exactly the responses I expected. But I do hear to and extent. One problem is the Wife would be all for me having one Recliner & ME in front OF MY BIG SCREEN..
... But you touch one of her items & she'd be Livid fast.
....Buldozer.. I'm lucky at this time. My Neighbor & I work together alot. I have his 100ac leased. He & I grew up about 6 blocks apart as kids. He lived in town& I was the last house out of town. I was in the country. He is retired BUT I plan to work until I'm 70. He had a slightly better job.
... I'm trying to not start any new projects. Until I finish the Red Bronco ..& the IH RED Tractor. I don't consider the shop a project. Except I want the crap out of the garage so MiMi can have a garage this winter .. But the Grand Sons can move the garage crap.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
You may want to try what I did...During my move I parked my 45' container at a friends house while I was gone the neighbor hood tweaked stole the container. A neighbor took pictures while it was happening. On new years night I got a call asking when I moved it, when I got there I was in shock....we have no law enforcement here so ....at least I don't have to move all those tools, bronco parts, collectibles...When the shock wore off it feels better knowing I am no longer tied down to stuff

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Man I called the man today & He was supposed to come by & re-look at this job. .. But he never showed up. He about 75 R- SO I'LL GIVE HIM A LITTLE MORE ROOM. But I'm getting impatience. His SON N LAW does all the work. So NOW I'M TRYING TO FIND HIM.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.... Another Day on PaPitt's farm.. So my little Jubilee would not start the last several times I needed to use it. I got it in the shop last weekend. Battery would not take a charge .. Nothing I couldn't get it to even light my test light.
... So It needs a battery. Got a new battery, put it on & nothing . What I got light on my test light ... So I wear the Solenoid out testing it .. I was rather sure It was good but I had a new one on the Red Bronco . SO I put it on still nothing .. So I had another Ign SWITCH . JUST like the one on the tractor..So I swapped it in place & . Man I hit that switch & it fired off when one piston hit the top.. I don't think that little tractor has every started faster.
.... I can't believe I had a bad battery & a bad switch.. But I guess the switch shorted out & ruined the battery..
... So Due to the heat & a trip to town that repair only took about 4 hours...
.. So then it was on to another repair ... That wonderful Cub Cadet I hit an piece of pipe & twisted my blades again so. It too was a trip to town for a set of blades because the ones I bought yesterday were wrong. Both had star shapes but Guess what One was a Yankee star & one was A confederate star . So they looked like stars But did not match.
. So After the sun set I got my blades in place. .
... Man it was Hot today. I swapped water about 10 times in the yard . Worked on the pool but it's still giving problems .. Only spent about 200 on it yesterday.
.... Finally it was Beer/30 & TACO & I could get into the Bronco & go for a cruise. Taco loves to bark at the new baby calves .. He seems to know he's scaring the new ones. Older calves have got to where they just stand up & let us drive by.
... Heat we didn't see anything else this evening.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. OK .. FINALLY ABOUT A MONTH Later ONE of my bid guys got back to me ..
.. My Wife always laughs at me .. Because I think everything is too high priced.. But man .. This Guys finally called me this evening . He say he has the labor side of the bid.
.. Damn the labor was $3500.00 plus the material.. Not exactly what I expected..
.. I have the material will be 1500.00 ..
I'd doubled the cost of the material for the labor. BUT THESE GUYS HAD TRIPLED IT.
.... ALL THE Structure they are putting up is a 30X40. AWNING. Over a 16 ft gap & over the 8 ft box trailer. . So I'LL GET A 16 X40 FT ADDED onto my shop .. no concrete ..

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Not sure yet what I'm going to do.. I want my addition but . But due to this storm I'm also fixing my house .. New roof 16K. STORM WINDOWS ABOUT 4K .. & paint the trim about 4K & FIXING SOME Interior ceiling damages about another 5K..
... Not sure I can handle all this ..

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
it'll pay for a roof but I want to upgrade to a metal roof. Still Haven't got that bid but it's suppose to be about 5 to maybe 10 more than what I/m getting paid for. Then the upgrade to the better storm windows is mostly out of my pocket. & I'd planned to paint it again out of my pocket.. So this big ass bid on my shop has me gasping for air.