• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor change over in 68?

Stevea

I was just wondering if and when Broncos changed over from 289 to 302? My 68 has a 289 in it that looks to be the original motor?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably wont find any exact date of when the 289 was last installed or the 302 first installed. Like any change over year there are always a few vehicles that endup as carry overs.
But the 302 made its debut in 68 so that was supposed to be the standard engine. I would say that more than likely that before the production run was half over in 68 that no more 289's were installed. So most likely only early 68's will have a factory 289. And mid year and later broncos had the 302.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Are there any numbers stamped or cast on these engines to help you identify them? I have the same question - how to tell if it is original to the car and how to tell if it is 289 vs 302. Of course it could have been swapped later so I was hoping for a way to identify it for sure. I have a wicked vibration after doing a 3sp to C4 swap so I assume I have the wrong flexplate installed.

Also a '68 but my fenders say 289 on the badges. Not that really means anything about what is in there now!

OP
OP
S

Stevea

Are there any numbers stamped or cast on these engines to help you identify them? I have the same question - how to tell if it is original to the car and how to tell if it is 289 vs 302. Of course it could have been swapped later so I was hoping for a way to identify it for sure. I have a wicked vibration after doing a 3sp to C4 swap so I assume I have the wrong flexplate installed.

Also a '68 but my fenders say 289 on the badges. Not that really means anything about what is in there now!

I know on Mustangs the casting number is on the underside of the block near the starter. I am guessing that It should be within a month or two from the build date of the Bronco, but I'm not sure how to tell with Broncos? I was going to clean my motor up and check the casting numbers out on mine to verify the date.

Do they have like Marti reports for Broncos? Marti reports are for Mustangs, but wondering if they have something like that for Broncos? Thanks

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
The casting # on the block should look something like this for a 68 Bronco or Ford truck:

C8TE-6015-A

The "C" Denotes the decade. 1960's
1st # "8" Denotes the year of the decade
The "T" denotes the carline. T is for "Truck".
The "E" denotes engineering group. "E" is engine. (A part with a "B" would be body. "A" would be chassis.)
6015 is the basic part #
The last letter, "A", denotes the suffix or revision. The "A" would be the original part. "B" would be the first revision, and so on.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do they have like Marti reports for Broncos? Marti reports are for Mustangs, but wondering if they have something like that for Broncos? Thanks

Yes, they do. Highly recommended.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was just wondering if and when Broncos changed over from 289 to 302? My 68 has a 289 in it that looks to be the original motor?

A 289 would be the original engine in your '68. The 302 started in cars in '68 and in Broncos in '69.

Todd Z.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Really the only way to be 100% sure is by checking the crank casting numbers as blocks can be interchanged as can cranks. Although a factory 289 shouldnt have a C8 block but you never know they could have had left over 289 cranks but no 289 blocks and just used the new 302 blocks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Look at your VIN. The 4th character identifies the engine. N is 289, G is 302.

OP
OP
S

Stevea

I have the N in my serial number.

Where do you order the reports like the Marti report, or are they also called Marti report for Broncos?

Thanks