• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mounting Hi-lift jack

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
They can be used as a winch in a pinch - used properly they are one of the most versatile tools you can carry.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
And if used improperly its the first tool that has the ability of really taking you out. The real problem with them is you have to work right next to them. Just give them the respect they deserve and you will be OK. If not they have a way of getting your attention. Don't ever turn your back on them.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
And if used improperly its the first tool that has the ability of really taking you out. The real problem with them is you have to work right next to them. Just give them the respect they deserve and you will be OK. If not they have a way of getting your attention. Don't ever turn your back on them.

Are you still taking about the Hi-lift jack?

Mark

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Me too.

Mine is a 47 incher. I had to cut an inch off to fit through the garage door.
that's where I mount mine when I carry it

They can be used as a winch in a pinch - used properly they are one of the most versatile tools you can carry.
used one to pull out a 84 full size on 40's, and my f250 not a fun night.:-[ next year he bought a winch;D

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The best place to mount a high lift jack is on the floor on the corner of the garage.
Yeah had mine there for two years before it made it to the truck!
Mine's been out of the truck for years. Carried it for a couple and used it exactly once - on someone's race truck. Used the OEM mechanical bottle jack many, many times during that time. I carry a skid-plated mini floor jack instead.

edones06

3642e1f0a15a695b800527d1730e382b.jpg

Not the best pic of mine but i built a big drawer to keep junk in and mounted mine to it

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am only carrying it for emergencies and flats. I wouldn't ever use it for maintenance. I also have a farm and it will be handy to have there as well. I think I am going to drill the roll bar and bolt it there atop the wheel well. I'll post pics when I get it done in the next few days.

Nick163hunter

You can make a slide mount the goes behind the driver seat and slides from the rear of truck inbetween the rear seat and inner fenderwell

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I used to have mine mounted inside on the rear fender nestled inside that cavity a lot of people make tool box compartments out of. Welded a nut to the underside of the wheel well and I could bolt it in securely. Worked well till I decided to install speakers there so now I have mounted to my spare tire carrier.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Don't drill the roll bar. Use a muffler clamp or something else.

Mine was parallel to the RR fender above the wheel well for 10+ yrs and did everything else but use it...HATE them with a passion, never had one slip but the potential is there as I've had friends who've lost parts of an ear, smashed a leg, etc.

90% of the time for non-mall cruisers we aren't on level smooth, ground so add that into equation. Bronco goes up but at an angle...not talking street repairs...

What suspension do you have as my 46 1/2" will barely lift my tire off the ground with my susp. NOT worth it unless nothing else will work... but pack it in case thats either what gets you home OR gets you to the ER.

Good luck, stay safe...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They do come in handy. I got a rock between the frame rails and under the transmission once. Couldn't go forwards of backwards, only direction that would work is up. Jacked under the rocker (yes on rock sliders) and got above the rock. Then drove off the jack. Worked perfect. Didn't hurt anything and prevented hurting anything as well. They are just a tool, very simple tool that can generate a lot of force. Just have to understand what it can do and respect it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
just like we both said...just be careful...

I was just trying to add a word of caution because I see guys that crawl underneath the rig to replace a blown up front axle without something like a FAT spare tire or anything to keep them from getting crushed when it slips off their bottle jack or their high lift...

It's kind of scary how people can do things without thinking anything thru..."what-if".

This is why I added the comment I did.

It's like the guys that have the high lift sticking up a foot above their spare tire and then wonder why their spare tire rack and their tailgate is all bent to heck when it catches a big tree limb or other obstacle on the trail...seen it happen more than once...

Have fun, go wheeling, be safe...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you're just too tall for lifting from a bumper, or are stuck jacking with the vehicle at such an angle that your jack beam is just not long enough, one of the Lift-Mate accessories is very handy. https://hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate/

Granted, if you're trying to change a tire/wheel, jacking up using that tire and wheel becomes an issue. But not an insurmountable one.
Jack it up using the wheel, then stack something up under the axle tube so that you can release the wheel long enough to change it. Reverse the steps and you're done.

As you guys say though, any use of the Hi-Lift requires clear thinking, not rushing, a safety first frame of mind, and then extra care not to find yourself lying down underneath without an escape plan.
And then a Plan-B, Plan-C and Plan-D just in case.

But some of the accessories can get you out of a jam when the jack alone is not enough to get the job done properly.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The very first time I ever used a Hi-Lift we were un-stucking MISF's 7600 lbs. Scout II. I was really glad that we both felt that buying a 48" Hi-Lift was completely pointless. Buy the 60" and if they now make a 72" buy it instead. Buy the jack for the use, not for where it will easily fit.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am only carrying it for emergencies and flats. I wouldn't ever use it for maintenance. I also have a farm and it will be handy to have there as well. I think I am going to drill the roll bar and bolt it there atop the wheel well. I'll post pics when I get it done in the next few days.

hell, stick it under the seat on one side or another then :)