• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving axle back 1" with shims and Extreme U-bolt Kit

Cstrom72

I am working on my 74 uncut Explorer. I have a WH 3.5" kit I am working on installing with the 6 degree shim and Extreme duty U-bolt Kit. Since I am uncut and running 33's I want the axle back 1" for sure. Other than drilling holes 1" FORWARD of the existing holes on the axle spring perch, 1" forward on the shims and 1" forward on the upper plates is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks

OP
OP
Cstrom72

Cstrom72

I am working on my 74 uncut Explorer. I have a WH 3.5" kit I am working on installing with the 6 degree shim and Extreme duty U-bolt Kit. Since I am uncut and running 33's I want the axle back 1" for sure. Other than drilling holes 1" FORWARD of the existing holes on the axle spring perch, 1" forward on the shims and 1" forward on the upper plates is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks
f317caa66a201cb50d8573718e12d5fa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ruff Stuff makes these adjustable perches - I've thought about it myself as well..

R1328-full.jpg

OP
OP
Cstrom72

Cstrom72

Yea I found those and there are also some zero rate blocks that have offset mounting holes. Id Rather just drill a few holes and be done...😁

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Yea I found those and there are also some zero rate blocks that have offset mounting holes. Id Rather just drill a few holes and be done...😁

Moving the holes leaves them just a little more than an inch from the end of the perches.
If you have any trouble with axle wrap that will make it worse.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I used the zero rate kit. Worked well even with the 6 degree shims.

I like the weld on perches, but I don't weld.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
If you don't weld, go with the zero rate blocks. Worked well for me including using the 6 degree shims.

For some reason, once I moved the axle housing back the drivers side is perfect. No rubbing front or rear of the fender. The passenger side, no so lucky. It now rubs in the rear under full articulation. 33" with an uncut really shows the lack of precision assembly back in the old days. I even pulled the rear back out thinking I didn't hit the correct hole, but, I did.

OP
OP
Cstrom72

Cstrom72

I really don't want an extra inch of lift in the back though....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Having said that /\/\/\....

I would also like to do the extra long spring perches too.

One thing for sure is I am definitely leaving it extended. Moving the axle back gave me clearance and "does" look better...but I really do notice a slightly better/different ride. I am sure it sounds funny but I really can tell...

Muskrat,

I noticed after some careful measuring during this process that my passenger side leaf pack is mounted slightly further towards the rear....like less than an inch,.. but still....might help to explain why the passenger side is a little higher too maybe...haven't crossed that bridge yet.....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
And you can go back to stock real quick if desired.

Quick unibit in the stock top plate and the stock perch, both 1" forward to push the axle back.

Wish I had done it years ago...

Doing it now with the crazy thick WH top plate was a little harder, but actually easier than I thought. Did it all with a battery drill....and yes I have a drill press...but didn't even need it...so it should be really easy with the thin stock top plate.

You need to do it Blu.

You can always go right back to stock if you don't like it.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
That is what I did Blu.

Drilling the hole further back will just made the axle want to wrap even more - not advisable being that nearly any suspension setup makes the axle wrap.

Those Ruff Stuff perches are super long too, they help with wrap.