• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

mustang or explorer?

oly24

Loc.
olympia
I would like to know what you guys would do? I have a complete engine, harness and computer from an 88 mustang gt (speed density) I also have a complete wiring harness, engine, trans, and computer from an early 1996 ford explorer. should I install the explorer stuff in the truck or use the mustang or use the best of both engines and get the 89-93 mustang stuff. thanks for the replies

73Russell

Loc.
Federal Way, WA
I think either way would be a good upgrade but I think the explorer has a little more power with better heads not 100% sure though

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'd use the explorer motor and trans with the mustang electronics/wiring. It will require a separate trans controller.

Mustang motor is a little higher hp but explorer has more torque.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If you have time, take the cam out of the mustang and put it in the exploder. The explorer has better heads and intakes, but the mustang cam in arguably better. You need the computer, dizzy, and MAF, wiring from the mustang also. If it's an HO engine you can still use the 19lb injectors from the explorer and use the explorer fuel rails. Use the explorer throttle body and modify the linkage so that you can hook up the BCB throttle cable it's really easy. You will need to swap over some of the mustang sensors or buy new ones (I'd suggest you buy new ones).

Hope that gets you started.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The explorer motor is a nice version of the 5.0. Good heads and intake. It also comes with a super compact front dress which is good in an EB where the fan is often far too close to the radiator!

bighorn

I have the Explorer motor. It has better heads and intake (GT40 Style) and a compact front dress to allow you to run the clutch style fan on the Explorer. If I had to do again, I would use the front dress from the Mustang. It is easier to find parts and aftermarket parts for the front serpentine (better alternator choices, sanden A/C compressors, more PS pump choices) of the Mustang than the Explorer. The explorer has some good parts, it just you are stuck with that choice.

So, IMHO, use the Explorer Tranny and Block, Heads, & Intake with the Mustang front dress and Cam.

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
I say if you are going to do that sell the Exploder setup and look for a 94-98 Lincoln MKVIII and put a modular 4v in that thing. You will 9/10 times get the wiring harness and computer. then, all it is is plug and play. 305hp and 305tq...
:):):)

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Thats what we are all here for! Let us know what you decide!

BTW, those motors can be found for 500 or less.

73Russell

Loc.
Federal Way, WA
BTW, those motors can be found for 500 or less.[/QUOTE]

you haven't shopped in washington, everyone here thinks they have gold, but occassionally u can find a good deal

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would back up what needabronco posted. You the best of both. Explorer engine with the front serpentine then use the mustang cam, harness, computer to run it all. I run 35's tires with lockers and have no issues with turning them with the explorer PS pump using a stock box. The explorer also runs the 4G alternator which is newer and supposedly better.

Ben