• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '69 Build

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Got a new starter, but decided that I want to be able to throw it in gear and be able to back it into the garage when I finally start it. So, I built a clutch linkage and ordered a gear banger for the NP435 and some u-joints for my driveshaft.

The gear banger isn't coming in until next week, so I am probably going to do some more paint prep work this weekend. There are a couple of spots on my hood and fenders that I have to spot prime.

I may try to fire it this weekend, but there is part of me that doesn't want to - the way that this build has gone, my motor will probably explode or something.

Last edited:

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Got a new starter, but decided that I want to be able to throw it in gear and be able to back it into the garage when I finally start it. So, I built a clutch linkage and ordered a gear banger for the NP435 and some u-joints for my driveshaft.

The gear banger isn't coming in until next week, so I am probably going to do some more paint prep work this weekend. There are a couple of spots on my hood and fenders that I have to spot prime.

I may try to fire it this weekend, but there is part of me that doesn't want to - the way that this build has gone, my motor will probably explode or something.

double and triple check everything man get some moral support. Have a padre come over and bless it but for the sake of all that's holy FIRE THAT MUTHA!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Seriously Devin! You want me to come start that sucker for you? Someone has to do it. I can swing by and pick up Bill then head over to your house and we can do this. You know this is kinds like that date, you just knew you were finally going to get lucky. But you got the nervous shits and took her home early. Remember that? don't let that happen again, just DO IT!!!

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Alright, it finally fired. But it wouldn't stay running. Lots of backfiring, bad idle, etc. So, I went to adjust the timing. Started running better, but I can't get the damn dizzy to stay in place. I have cranked down on the retaining nut, but every time I go to fire the motor, it immediately spins the dizzy. I can't find my freakin' phone right now or I would be on the phone with bax. Any reason the dizzy would be spinning?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Dist hold down not working? A 302 hold down will work too. So it fired. You want to keep it running if you can. if you cant physically turn the dist. it should stay in place. I'm excited!

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Got it. Got the cam broke in. I have a strong oil leak at the front of my oil pan. Coming out in droves. Guess I didn't do a good job of sealing her back up when I had the timing chain cover off.

My oil pressure was sky high most of the time during this run. The thing sounds freakin' great. Not too loud, but a rumble that lets you know that there is some freakin' meat under the hood.

I didn't see any other leaks other than the BP-style gusher at the front of the oil pan. I am going to drop the pan so that I can get her sealed up right.

A nice way to end the day.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Very good. Congratulations. Now that engine rumble will get you motivated to finish.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I'll get a vid after I get the oil leak fixed...

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Gear banger test install:

Attachments

• GearBanger 002.JPG
    GearBanger 002.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
The Bronco moved under it's own power today!!! I got the driveshaft in and the clutch linkage completed and fired it up just to see if it would move. Move it did!

I still have to fix the oil leak, which I am going to start on now. But, I did notice something both this time and the time I first fired it up. My oil pressure gauge is pegged. Last time, it finally started dropping late in the cam break in, but it seems REALLY high. I am not sure what I need to do about this. Could it just be the break-in oil being thick? (I am using Comp cams break-in oil).

Thanks,

Devin

bax

Contributor
Old Member
First off its a Tim meyer engine. he goes to great lengths to make good oil pressure for the 400. 80 cold and brand new above idle is normal. Hot engine above idle 60 to 70. mine with 5K miles. idles at 40 and above idle is 60 plus. I think you are good. put some 30 weight in it after a bit of run time . Your rod and main clearances are tight.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Well, this isn't good. I just drained the oil so that I could start working on the oil pan gasket. I have WATER in my oil. I really hope that it is a problem with the seal on the timing chain cover/water pump.

So engine gurus, what all do I need to check?

Frack.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Intake gaskets, and the timing cover, other than that, you have a serious setback:cry: How much water are we talking about?

Wouldn't be the intake gasket - I have a 400, remember. We don't have to drain the raddy to take our intakes off. ;D

Probably had about a 1/4 cup come out when I undid the oil pan bolt, then the oil was all frothy looking. So it is hard to tell how much.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
dry intake so cross that off. How much water are we talking about? Is the oil all gray? Like it has mixed throughout the system. Is there oil in the radiator too? if its just a little could it be condensation? You have to take the front cover off to fix the oil leak My guess / hope is that they are mixing there in the water pump area. lets just go there for now. My bet is condensation. This motor has been in the truck for what 6 /7 months in the garage? Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
dry intake so cross that off. How much water are we talking about? Is the oil all gray? Like it has mixed throughout the system. Is there oil in the radiator too? if its just a little could it be condensation? You have to take the front cover off to fix the oil leak My guess / hope is that they are mixing there in the water pump area. lets just go there for now. My bet is condensation. This motor has been in the truck for what 6 /7 months in the garage? Fingers crossed.

No, the oil wasn't all grey, but it definitely was crossing somewhere. The is oil in my raddy water, too. Probably not condensation - I live in the mountains of a desert.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
One good thing - there was no white smoke whatsoever coming from the exhaust. Actually, the only time there was anything coming from the exhaust was when I hit the throttle to rev it up. It temporarily blew a little dark - running a bit rich.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well let me say this. Take a deep cleansing breath. This may not be as bad as your thinking. Do/ inspect the water pump / oil leak first. this is where oil and gas would blend the easiest. Take it down to the chain cover. Take it off too. Look for anything that could be leaking. Inspect the steel cover plate too. Your mixing both oil to water and water to oil.