• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My holley sniper experience is a failure

tampabronco

The sniper has sucked the joy out of driving my bronco. I don't have the diagnosing skills or time to constantly work on it

Winter project will be switching back to carb and looking for intake and carb suggestions. Have a bone stick reman 302 in my 76. Good 2 barrel suggestions

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Been there, doing that. My experience is OK, only because I have a good support network.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
The sniper has sucked the joy out of driving my bronco. I don't have the diagnosing skills or time to constantly work on it

Winter project will be switching back to carb and looking for intake and carb suggestions. Have a bone stick reman 302 in my 76. Good 2 barrel suggestions
Welcome to the club... ditched the sniper for a carb several years ago and never looked back, no more headaches.

As others have mentioned, 2150 is a great 2bbl carb.

Last edited:

chuck1022

Make sure it's a legit 2150 and not a knockoff.

My 2150 was tuned 6 or 7 years ago.....had them check it a year ago.....everything is great. I would drive this across country....but 62mph will get you killed on highways where everyone is doing 85mph.

My Bronco is my daily driver

chuck1022

They come in a few different venturi sizes.

1.08- 287cfm

1.21- 351cfm

Mine is a 1.08 venturi.

rexorcist

Shipped mine to Holley for refurb over a month ago..crickets..can’t believe that they can do this without loosing market share..grhhh

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sniper 1 or 2? This kind of news is killin' me because I need to buy two TBI systems in the near future for a marine application and I've been happy with Holley EFI products for a long time now. ;-( The more I hear, the more I'm leaning toward ACES Killshot instead....and to me that's a leap of faith at this point.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
High-performance ford guy in Tucson hates all throttlebody EFI been in business 35 years
I had great results for many years with the Commander 950 TBI systems. Zero issues. I've been in in the performance engine building business since early 1980s..

I had little use for the early Holley Projection stuff until they went all digital with the 4D.

Howell's GM-based TBI systems were a great option for a couple decades too. Performed well and reliable.

rexorcist

just picked up my rig from a high end shop..mostly racing Porsches and vintage racing cars (cobras jags etc..)…shipped sniper 1 to Holley 5 weeks ago and came back this week..they said “nothing wrong with the unit” but it looks like a completely different unit..saw the same “everything checked out and found no problems” bs on this forum from another member…runs well but couldn’t ride much as storm is coming..will drive the poo out of it this weekend..tbc

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Sniper 1 or 2? This kind of news is killin' me because I need to buy two TBI systems in the near future for a marine application and I've been happy with Holley EFI products for a long time now. ;-( The more I hear, the more I'm leaning toward ACES Killshot instead....and to me that's a leap of faith at this point.
Sniper 1. Been two frustrating years

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

I hear the edelbrock pro flo is a good system but Im going back to carb

chuck1022

How did you determine which setup you needed?
Sorry for the delay. I did some real mathematics and scientific studies..........the 1.08 was on it when I bought it. I had it rebuilt and tuned by competent people.....and she has been running sweet for 6 years.

When figuring out carbs.....an engine can only process so much air and fuel. And I believe when calculating volumetric efficiency...it is always at a set high rpm.

Who drives around at 6000rpms in their EB???? EVERY once in a while I will run the rpm up......but very seldom.

My 1.08 2150 has great throttle response down low where I drive.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the numbers always stamped on the base flange of the carburetor?